Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 04:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Score Use in Employment

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 204

Premium Member
Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2013, 18:39
BeyondCasePrep wrote:
GMAT is definitely a factor in deciding who makes the MBB closed list, however its importance varies by firm. At BCG for example, it is a relatively minor part of the resume screening criteria (less important than the prestige of your schools and employers, your professional experience, and your leadership and communication skills). In terms of the actual score, anything below 680 is a detractor, 750 and above is a positive, and 680-740 is considered neutral.

McKinsey has a greater emphasis on high (700+) GMAT scores as well as their problem solving test (PST)

My general advice to candidates is that if you have a 700+, you have basically checked the box for the "raw horsepower" the firms are looking for and should be focusing on presenting your background well on your resume, networking effectively, and then getting ready for those (hopefully) upcoming interviews.

-Jeff

Based on your experiences at BCG, did you see anyone getting in with a <650, but who aced the interviews?

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: MBB
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 40 [1] , given: 0

Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2013, 19:09
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Hailmary,

Yes, people with lower GMAT scores (>650) do get offers, but candidly it can be difficult to do so. The biggest challenge with a low GMAT is getting the opportunity to interview. What I have seen is that people who have low GMAT's but still get interviews tend to have one or more of the following characteristics:

- Significant strengths elsewhere in their profile (e.g. great school, prestigious work experience, demonstrated leadership)
- Other quantifiable data that shows their "horsepower" (e.g. high SAT score, good grades)
- Strong presence when networking with the firms (i.e. charismatic, well-spoken)

Basically, the key is to show your strengths and try to minimize the area of "weakness" in your profile.

I hope this helps! Feel free to follow up with any additional questions on our thread at http://gmatclub.com/forum/interview-prep-with-former-mck-and-bcg-interviewers-157459.html and check out our Facebook page for future tips at http://www.facebook.com/beyondcaseprep
Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment   [#permalink] 08 Aug 2013, 19:09