Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 01:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT score validity.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT score validity. [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 18:38
Hi,

I've just graduated with an MS degree in CS and started my professional life. I'm pretty sure I want to get an MBA, but I don't think I'm quite ready for it yet. That said, I do have a lot of free time on my hands and I'm planning to take my GMAT in 4-5 months. I've heard from several people that schools might not look upon GMAT scores older than 2-3 years favorably. If I do go for an MBA, I'll probably need to put it off atleast four years from now.

I've been going through the institute websites and all of them were pretty clear about accepting GMAT scores which are less than five years old. If anyone here got in, or know someone who got in, with a 4-5 year old GMAT score, I'd really like to know.

Thanks,
Teja.

Edit: Mods, sorry if this is the wrong forum, please redirect me to the right one. Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 4

Re: GMAT score validity. [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2010, 07:15
I don't think AdComs care at all when you took your GMAT. My GMAT was almost 4 years old when I applied. In fact, it may actually show that you have clear long term goals and are serious about getting an MBA :-). I wouldn't worry about this at all.

MBAvolunteers - Application feedback & interview preps in exchange for a donation to a non-profit

Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

Re: GMAT score validity. [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2010, 08:32
tejaswiyvs wrote:

I've been going through the institute websites and all of them were pretty clear about accepting GMAT scores which are less than five years old. If anyone here got in, or know someone who got in, with a 4-5 year old GMAT score, I'd really like to know.

Thanks,
Teja.

Edit: Mods, sorry if this is the wrong forum, please redirect me to the right one. Thanks!

I believe it's pretty standard the that GMAT last 5 years for most if not all schools. There is a variation that some school it's 5 years at Matriculations vs 5 Years at application. But after that I don't think I've heard anyone who has had a problem. mine would be about 3.5 years since i took my exam early 2007. The one thing that you need to be aware of is that the percentiles change (ALOT) since your percentile is the average of the 3 years from then you request the report, so for me, my math (1 percentile point) and awa (16 percentile points). But never heard it being an issue. They state 5 years for a reason, and it's just 1 bullet point.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: UCLA
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT score validity. [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2010, 08:45
GoBruins wrote:

I believe it's pretty standard the that GMAT last 5 years for most if not all schools. There is a variation that some school it's 5 years at Matriculations vs 5 Years at application. But after that I don't think I've heard anyone who has had a problem. mine would be about 3.5 years since i took my exam early 2007. The one thing that you need to be aware of is that the percentiles change (ALOT) since your percentile is the average of the 3 years from then you request the report, so for me, my math (1 percentile point) and awa (16 percentile points). But never heard it being an issue. They state 5 years for a reason, and it's just 1 bullet point.

I took the GMAT several years ago too and my scores were OK but not some of the stellar scores that you see on here but the percentiles have shifted upward (pretty significantly) since I took it so my score is now even lower percentile wise, and I am not sure how adcoms look at this. I think I may have faired better in the application process had I applied back in 2007 when I took the GMAT than this year.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 3

Re: GMAT score validity. [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2010, 09:54
In general GMAT scores are valid for 5 years. I have not heard cases that Adcoms are rejecting scores of 2 to 3 years old.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT score validity. [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2010, 10:11
Okay, thanks!
Re: GMAT score validity.   [#permalink] 11 Apr 2010, 10:11