Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 09:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Scores - Need Help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Scores - Need Help [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2011, 15:48
The first time I took the GMAT I scored a 730 (Q49 V40 - October 2010) and was fairly satisfied - but hoping to apply to a decent Finance PhD school I decided to give the GMAT another go.

The second time I took the GMAT I scored a 720 (Q47 V42 - July 2011). I was disappointed to say the least. I went through the Manhattan GMAT guides as well as all of the Official Guide sets. While I expected a marginal increase in the Verbal score I was definitely not expecting a drop in the Quant score. The problems suddenly seemed very foreign and while I had time to spare the first time I was struggling to keep pace the second time. About 5 of the problems were pretty standard GMAT math, but the rest were just completely foreign to me. I'm not sure if they updated their test bank or what but I thought the GMAT quant was a killer this time around.

I've read various threads and tips but I was hoping someone could help me understand what happened, and suggest resources to improve the quant for my particular situation. I am really hoping to break into Q50. To be fair I don't consider myself particularly good at math. I'm hoping to brute force it by having experience with every type of problem offered - which I thought I would have covered going through the official guides.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Scores - Need Help [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2011, 17:33
Well, I can tell you that hitting 50 is fairly tough. 50 represents less 5 questions incorrect. 51 is 1 or 2 questions incorrect. It might be a tough ask to retake aiming for a 50. Though if you are interested, pm me and I can give you a reference of a Math tutor who I used to up my Quant score. Though I ended with a 49, I was constantly getting 50 or 51 on the practice tests. In my opinion he is the best out there.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

Re: GMAT Scores - Need Help [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2011, 17:41
Don't they consider the highest score, which in your case is 730 with Q49?
Re: GMAT Scores - Need Help   [#permalink] 30 Jul 2011, 17:41