Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 21:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Scoring Algorithm - My observations

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT Scoring Algorithm - My observations [#permalink] New post 15 May 2011, 06:49
It's really good to ready every single post!
Many Thanks to Hjort and everyone who has contributed here.

Long way to go!

"Do not give up, beginning is always the hardest."
"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone"

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1532 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: GMAT Scoring Algorithm - My observations [#permalink] New post 15 May 2011, 11:28
Wow, old thread.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: University of Tehran
Grad GPA: 4
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Boston U
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Retail)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Scoring Algorithm - My observations [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2011, 08:00
Hey everybody, I hope this thread is still active. I have one wonder: I am weak at CR and strong at SC and RC. What would happen if i skip almost all CR and correctly answer all SC and RC? Imagine my band rises to 90 by correctly answering the first three questions which are SC. Then I guess one CR and again correctly answer 4 RC. Now my band must be in upper 90%. If this trend continues to the end of the exam, my band must remain in top 80%. Is it possible? My concern is this: will GMAT algorithm be allowed to give me more than usual CR when it realizes that I am skipping all CRs? What do you think about this strategy? Of course, pay attention that I mean educated guesses on CR in less than 1 minute. Hopefully I can correctly answer a few couple of CRs too.

I gave my first CAT two days ago. In the first half of Verbal, I almost correctly answered all RCs and SCs, but wrongly answered most CRs. And the point is that I messed the SCs and RCs in the second half because I had wasted much time for CR in the first half. Imagine the catastrophe: wasted much time on CR and did most of them wrong.

Ambition, Motivation and Determination: the three "tion"s that lead to PERFECTION.

World! Respect Iran and Iranians as they respect you! Leave the governments with their own.

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2233

Kudos [?]: 8376 [0], given: 3645

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Scoring Algorithm - My observations [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2011, 10:16
Expert's post
Also, see this one: how-does-the-gmat-algorithm-work-120297.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: University of Tehran
Grad GPA: 4
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Boston U
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Retail)

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Scoring Algorithm - My observations [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2011, 10:38
Thanks bb

Ambition, Motivation and Determination: the three "tion"s that lead to PERFECTION.

World! Respect Iran and Iranians as they respect you! Leave the governments with their own.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V50
GPA: 3.93
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Scoring Algorithm - My observations [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2011, 16:42
For test takers who don't miss any questions in the early going, since they will consistently receive hard questions (which probably take longer to solve), won't they be more pressed for time than those who are receiving slightly easier questions? Just wondering how GMAC takes this into account, since it obviously doesn't make any sense to miss questions on purpose just so that you'll get easier questions in the future and not run out of time hahah
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE: Research (Other)

Kudos [?]: 64 [1] , given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Scoring Algorithm - My observations [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2011, 16:00
This post received
KUDOS
runitback wrote:
For test takers who don't miss any questions in the early going, since they will consistently receive hard questions (which probably take longer to solve), won't they be more pressed for time than those who are receiving slightly easier questions? Just wondering how GMAC takes this into account, since it obviously doesn't make any sense to miss questions on purpose just so that you'll get easier questions in the future and not run out of time hahah

I'm going to take a stab at this based on my meager experiences with the GMAT, GMATprep, and OG.

My thought on this is that pretty much all of the questions you will find on the GMAT can easily be solved in 2 minutes, or max 2.5 minutes - but that is once you realize HOW to solve it. The tricksy thing with advanced level questions (and i'm talking about quant here) is that they are written in a more devious manner. For example they might incorporate multiple topics or subject matters, they will have more traps, and word problems will be harder to 'decode' so to speak. The actual calculations are generally no more difficult than lower level questions, but figuring out how to solve the problem and separating out the different parts of the problem is what makes them tougher. The main thing is that you have to be learn to just wing it when you see a problem that doesn't look familiar, and that takes practice - especially for someone like me who doesn't have a strong quantitative background.

The other key thing is that you have to be very effective in managing your time. I said all problems can be solved in around 2 minutes, but it is VERY easy to sit there going in circles around a problem you don't understand. Its natural to want to get every question right, but in a case like that you HAVE to make a guess. Take a stab or two at the question, if you still don't get it, eliminate any answer choices you can and make a guess. So if after about a minute, you aren't sure that you're on track to come up with the right answer, move on because it isn't worth it to waste more time at the risk of sacrificing questions you do know how to answer.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: GMAT Scoring Algorithm - My observations [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2011, 10:19
Thank you, Hjort!
It is really usefull to understand how GMAT scores work. I have a question: How many levels of dificulty exist? As we assume that there is x level as the average one, how many steps till 700+ there are? What is the easiest question's level?
Lol, we become smarter as 'the center of the distribution increased about 150 points from 550 to 700". :roll:

Regards,
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 254

Kudos [?]: 660 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Scoring Algorithm - My observations [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2011, 17:30
ellenika wrote:
Thank you, Hjort!
It is really usefull to understand how GMAT scores work. I have a question: How many levels of dificulty exist? As we assume that there is x level as the average one, how many steps till 700+ there are? What is the easiest question's level?

There are not specific "levels" of difficulty; question difficulty is graded on a continuous scale. The difficulty values are actually in a range from about -2.5 to 2.5 inside the scoring algorithm (these correspond to standard deviations above or below average), so one very hard question might have a difficulty value of 2.314, and another fairly easy one might have a difficulty value of -0.613. When books talk about "700-level questions", they really just mean a "hard question"; that's not the way the algorithm classifies questions.

It's also impossible to say how many 'steps' there are before you reach 700+ type questions. A scoring algorithm like the one used on the GMAT works perfectly well if the steps are small at the start of the test, or if they're large - it makes no difference to the integrity of the scoring. So they're free to set that 'step size' however they like, and it could very well be different from one test to another.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Scoring Algorithm - My observations [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2012, 07:56
Hi,

I just did a Princeton Review practice CAT and I think there is something off in the algorithm for the Quant section.

Overall I got 610 (Q33, V42)

For Quant I got the following wrong: 1, 2, 16, 18, 19, 21, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 32

That is only 12 wrong, with Questions 3 through 15 right and the last 5 right! On GMAC's GMATPrep I've gotten in the 41-44 range in Quant getting 11 to 13 questions wrong.

Any advice or suggestions?
Re: GMAT Scoring Algorithm - My observations   [#permalink] 01 Feb 2012, 07:56