Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 12:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Scoring - How do I score higher?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: HEC Paris, Essec, ESCP Paris, Insead
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Scoring - How do I score higher? [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2010, 22:24
Hi,
I am new to this forum and needed some clarity regarding scoring.
Even though i have heard that the practice is to not bother about the scoring patterns, but if i could get an indicator regarding the same it would be mighty helpful.

I have given a few GMAT Preps and MGMAT-1 till date.

My scoring is as follows:

1. GMAT Prep1 : 590 (dnt remember the split, it was given before start of any prep)
2. GMAT Prep2: 690 (Q-49,V-34)
3. MGMAT-1: 710 (Q-49,V-38)
4. GMAT Prep reloaded: 730 (Q-48,V-41)

None of the questions in my GMAT Preps were repeated.

In the final test that i gave I had only 7 incorrect answers (q.no 13,21,28,30,31,35,41) in Verbal, whereas in the tests before that i was getting 10-12 incorrect. Also i got 1 RC, 2CR and 4SC wrong in the above mentioned test.

Can I take this as an indicative that to get a score of 760+ I need to get less than 7 incorrect on Verbal? Or is it the fact that i got 4 incorrect in the final 12 that is killing me?
How many can I afford to get wrong if I were looking at a V-42 to V-44? Since the experts would have an idea of the number they got wrong, maybe they can guide me regarding this....

Also I know I can improve my Quant score to 50 or 51, as I my Math is decent. Its just that i have been to anxious to get
my Verbal score up above the V-41 range.

I have come a great deal of distance from a 590 and my GMAT date is 10th August. So I have just over 15 days to get my scores up to 760. I plan to take up the rest of the MGMAT's (2 to 6) and GMAT Prep a few more times.

Can u also suggest something else that can help me reduce the count of errors? What should my prep strategy be for these last few days?
Any other pointers in this regard would be highly appreciated...

Thanks
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Scoring - How do I score higher? [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2010, 07:38
guys really need some help here.... Any answers... anything...
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cambridge (R2-Matriculating), Nyenrode (Accepted), Oxford (R2-Interview invite)
WE 1: Army officer (Corps of Engineers)
WE 2: Air Quality Control Engineer
WE 3: Water Resources Engineer
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 19

Re: GMAT Scoring - How do I score higher? [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2010, 08:48
Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you. But would like to make sure you've checked out the section where people can share their GMAT experience: http://gmatclub.com/forum/share-your-gmat-experience-8/

It might be worthwhile to browse through the threads of people who have received the score for which you're aiming. They might have some tips or information.

I'm in the beginning of my GMAT prep, but according to the Kaplan Premier book, guessing or missing questions is deadly, but it doesn't sound like you've done that. They also mentioned that getting the very hard questions wrong leads to a smaller penalty than you would imagine. So my guess would be that you would need to get fewer wrong overall rather than worrying about the last few. But please don't take this as gospel as I'm just trying to interpret what I've read in the Kaplan book and seen on this forum.

Good luck with your last few weeks of studying and on the test!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2278

Kudos [?]: 8811 [0], given: 3667

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Scoring - How do I score higher? [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2010, 09:04
Expert's post
Hi rahultmac29,

GMAT score does not really depend on the number of questions you missed, rather on the number of hard questions you answered correctly. There are many factors that are involved in the scoring process, including experimental questions.
The best way to get a higher score is a thorough review of math, grammar, and basic logic as well as practicing reading long and complex passages of text.

I rarely use this word but 590 to 760 in 15 days is impossible. I would reschedule your test while you still can. You are looking into at least 2 or most likely 3 months for that improvement.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Scoring - How do I score higher? [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2010, 09:43
Hi,
Thanks BB and BigRedEnvEng for ur insights :-D

@BigRedEnvEng: Yes have been going through the experiences of ppl who have scored in that range and some of the things that they have tried, might help me ... Will keep in mind abt the tough question thingy too :) Best of luck with ur prep :)

@BB:
My scoring is as follows:
1. GMAT Prep1 : 590
2. GMAT Prep2: 690 (Q-49,V-34)
3. MGMAT-1: 710 (Q-49,V-38)
4. GMAT Prep reloaded: 730 (Q-48,V-41)

I have reached 730 from 590 in 10 days. I know 590 makes it look bad but i have no clue as to why I go that score, and i dnt think it was in any way a representation of my capability... Even am confused :? :oops:
I guess even if i am not at the 730 level consistently, I do believe that I am gud for a 710,720 as of now.
The fact you mention about getting my difficult questions correct is something i will definitely keep in mind.

You think I can make it to 760 from 730 in 15 days?? Anything in particular I shud watch out for?? How big a jump is that as far as accuracy is concerned?
Re: GMAT Scoring - How do I score higher?   [#permalink] 24 Jul 2010, 09:43