Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Take Nyquill or an Ambien if you can get one from a doctor
The bad thing is I had sleep medication and couldn't sleep because I couldn't find my photo ID. I then called my mom at 1 AM to ask her to come over my place to look for it..I have ADHD and sometimes I miss things that are out in the open:) She then told me at 1am that she had my photo ID and it was in her purse. If I had only known earlier it was there I could have taken my sleep medicine, but since it was so late, I couldn't take the strong stuff, Ambien. I had to go with a generic sleep medicine and wasn't able to sleep as well.

I think that really affected me during the quant section because I was so tired at the beginning.:( I woke up for a tiny bit and then had to pee and was tired during the verbal section so my mind wasn't all there.

I am actually going to take my sleep medicine for two nights in a row before I take my test to make sure I am well rested. I think if I do that I can break 700.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
jamesrwrightiii wrote:
Take Nyquill or an Ambien if you can get one from a doctor
The bad thing is I had sleep medication and couldn't sleep because I couldn't find my photo ID. I then called my mom at 1 AM to ask her to come over my place to look for it..I have ADHD and sometimes I miss things that are out in the open:) She then told me at 1am that she had my photo ID and it was in her purse. If I had only known earlier it was there I could have taken my sleep medicine, but since it was so late, I couldn't take the strong stuff, Ambien. I had to go with a generic sleep medicine and wasn't able to sleep as well.

I think that really affected me during the quant section because I was so tired at the beginning.:( I woke up for a tiny bit and then had to pee and was tired during the verbal section so my mind wasn't all there.

I am actually going to take my sleep medicine for two nights in a row before I take my test to make sure I am well rested. I think if I do that I can break 700.

This is true for spasmotic chronic insomniacs like myself. I have tried hypnosis, meditation, even :banana before sleeping the night before an important meeting, etc. and nothing seemed to work. So I met with a doctor and he suggested Ambien 5mg. There are four versions available now: 5mg, 10mg, 12.5mg and 10mg (slow release). If you just need help falling asleep the former works best. If you find yourself waking up in the middle of the night, then the latter will keep you dreaming until the alarm clock goes off. Ambien is reputed to be the best (cleanest with least amount of side effects) on the market. Nevertheless, this should only be a contingency option if all else fails and you CANNOT sleep the night before the exam. I had the exact same experience the last time taking the GMAT and scored an even more pathetic 590. No matter what it takes, I WILL get a good night`s rest this time around.

Reschedule the test 30 days from now and you should be fine.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts