Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 18:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Sets answers accurate?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Sets answers accurate? [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2007, 11:05
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has looked into this - the accuracy of the answers provided for the GMAT Sets. I took them to be correct so far - even though sometimes I was suspicious! But the following one, where the listed answer looks clearly wrong, got me thinking.

This is a question from Set26-Verbal.

Q5)
The particular design of muscles and bones in the neck and limbs of the turtle allow that it can draw in its exposed parts such that an attacker can find nothing but hard shell to bite.
A. allow that it can draw in its exposed parts such that
B. allow it to draw in its exposed parts, and so
C. allows for it to draw in its exposed parts and that
D. allows that it can draw in its exposed parts, and so
E. allows it to draw in its exposed parts, so that

I thought the correct answer was E. The listed answer is D.

Would anyone comment on this? If the answers provided are indeed not reliable, are there any alternative answer keys available?

Thanks a lot
vk.neni
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

Re: GMAT Sets answers accurate? [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2007, 11:38
vk.neni wrote:
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has looked into this - the accuracy of the answers provided for the GMAT Sets. I took them to be correct so far - even though sometimes I was suspicious! But the following one, where the listed answer looks clearly wrong, got me thinking.

Q5)
The particular design of muscles and bones in the neck and limbs of the turtle allow that it can draw in its exposed parts such that an attacker can find nothing but hard shell to bite.

Would anyone comment on this? If the answers provided are indeed not reliable, are there any alternative answer keys available?

Thanks a lot
vk.neni

imo D is alright.

The particular design (SUBJECT of MAIN CLAUSE) of muscles and bones in the neck and limbs of the turtle allows (VERB)

that it (clearly modifies turtle and subject of 1st subord clause) can draw in its exposed parts, ---> First subordinate clause

and so

an attacker (subject of 2nd subord clause) can find (Verb parallel with CAN DRAW)nothing but hard shell to bite ---> Second subordinate clause
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2007, 19:18
Nice explanation dwivedys

Another way of looking between D and E is

D says

...turtle allows that it can draw in its exposed parts
as a result attacker can find nothing

where as E says

allows that it can draw in its exposed parts

because (so that ) attacker can find nothing

D is the correct usage

AimHigher

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2007, 19:19
btw where do you get these GMAT sets?

AimHigher

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2007, 20:33
Isn't allows that unidiomatic?

I would've thought it was allows for in C but I don't agree with and that so I might've gone with E
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

[#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2007, 21:21
hkfcheung wrote:
Isn't allows that unidiomatic?

I would've thought it was allows for in C but I don't agree with and that so I might've gone with E

Dear HKF - I too had chosen E on the first attempt. however E is grammatically perfect - yet it made me uncomfortable because it implies a change in meaning. C on the other hand retained elements of parallelism.

Allows that is idiomatic.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2007, 06:18
dwivedys!

Thank you for your careful explanations. However, how does choice E change the meaning of the sentence? Sorry, English is no my first language.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Sets answers accurate? [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2007, 21:05
dwivedys wrote:
vk.neni wrote:
Hi,

Q5)

Thanks a lot
vk.neni

imo D is alright.

The particular design (SUBJECT of MAIN CLAUSE) of muscles and bones in the neck and limbs of the turtle allows (VERB)

that it (clearly modifies turtle and subject of 1st subord clause) can draw in its exposed parts, ---> First subordinate clause

and so

an attacker (subject of 2nd subord clause) can find (Verb parallel with CAN DRAW)nothing but hard shell to bite ---> Second subordinate clause

Why is E wrong ..??
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Sets answers accurate? [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2007, 06:20
Any wordiness should be removed. so is sufficient for the conclusion statement "an attacker can find nothing but hard shell to bite" there is no need of "so that". I had at first glance selected C because allows for makes more sense to me than allows that, however I do not agree with "and that" it should be a conclusion indicator like "So, therefore, thus" etc
Amit05 wrote:
dwivedys wrote:
vk.neni wrote:
Hi,

Q5)

Thanks a lot
vk.neni

imo D is alright.

and so

Why is E wrong ..??
Re: GMAT Sets answers accurate?   [#permalink] 18 Nov 2007, 06:20