Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 20:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Snacks

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
19 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 84

Kudos [?]: 470 [19] , given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
GMAT Snacks [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 06:03
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The GMAT doesn’t just test accuracy or timing. It also tests your endurance. Confronted with two 30-minute essays and two 75-minute sections, test takers will inevitably suffer from a certain level of exhaustion. Unfortunately, too many underestimate this aspect of the GMAT and lose the opportunity to perform at their best.

While we can’t entirely avoid mental fatigue, it’s certainly possible to postpone and minimize it. Some remedies are well known, such as practicing full-length CAT’s under real test conditions (including the AWA) and timing yourself with OG questions. There is, however, another important option: snacks during the allotted breaks.

It’s important to maintain energy levels as long as possible, and this can’t be done without food. You have a break after the AWA and another one between the Quant and Verbal sections. Use these to your advantage! Perhaps the most important thing is not so much what you eat, but that you eat. However, a few items are mentioned more often than others.

FOOD:
1. Bananas - This yellow fruit contains potassium, a mineral which helps to normalize the heartbeat and send oxygen to the brain. Bananas are also high in B vitamins, which help calm the nervous system. But the main benefit comes from the carbohydrates; the three types of sugar provide an instant and sustained energy supply.
2. Almonds – These nuts are high in vitamin E and magnesium, which helps convert sugar into energy. Almonds are also high in protein and fat – good sources for sustained energy. Manganese, copper, and riboflavin further help in energy production.
4. Snickers Bar - The amount of protein and fat from the nuts, as well as the high sugar content, deliver a high level of energy. Also, chocolate has been associated with relaxation and mood elevation. Plus, these candy bars taste great!
5. Trail Mix – Usually associated with outdoor hikes, this tasty combination of nuts, dried fruit, grains, and chocolate offers the complete package of protein, carbs, and fat.

DRINKS:
1. Gatorade – High in sugar and electrolytes (sodium, potassium, and chloride), this energy drink is quickly absorbed into your body. However, due to the salt content, you may become thirsty. Make sure to drink some water and visit the bathroom afterward.
2. Water - Dehydration can lead to a host of uncomfortable consequences, such as dry mouth, fatigue, and lightheadedness - all of which can distract you and adversely affect your score. Just one cup of cold water will go a long way. But it’s not just for drinking! Many recommend splashing cold water on your face during the breaks. This triggers a response called “mammalian reflex,” which slows down the heart rate and reduces the need for bloodstream oxygen. It also leaves you feeling refreshed, awake, and relaxed.

However, the time to experiment with snacks is NOT on the day of the test. Instead, try a few of them during your practice CATs to see which ones trigger the best response. Everyone will react slightly differently, so it’s important to see what works for you. During the breaks, be sure to also go to the bathroom, walk around, take deep breaths, and stretch some. These activities only take a few moments and will help to keep you alert and fresh.

While these foods have a good GMAT reputation, this list is by no means exhaustive. I’m sure that there are other great options. If you know of any, please share them with us!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Snacks [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 15:11
This post received
KUDOS
nicely written!

I would be a bit wary of drinking water or gatorade lest the need to go to restroom present itself in the middle of the 75 minute session!

Best way is to practice for sure. I would also suggest other granola bars and cereal bars (or even Cliff!)
Expert Post
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 470 [0], given: 431

Re: GMAT Snacks [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 17:40
Expert's post
Thanks for the input!

And good idea about the Clif bars. I particularly like the Builder's bars. Those have a good bit of carbs, fat, and protein. Plus, they taste good. But remember to drink some water after those. You will definitely become thirsty!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Snacks [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2010, 10:10
are we allowed to chew gum?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

Re: GMAT Snacks [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2010, 16:09
I got granola bars and that was a terrible idea, it was hard to chew and choke down, and made my mouth really dry. I didn't want to drink too much water either.

If you liked my post, please consider thanking me with Kudos! I really appreciate it! :)

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cambridge (R2-Matriculating), Nyenrode (Accepted), Oxford (R2-Interview invite)
WE 1: Army officer (Corps of Engineers)
WE 2: Air Quality Control Engineer
WE 3: Water Resources Engineer
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 19

Re: GMAT Snacks [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2010, 18:46
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks for posting this!

I eat a banana every morning with my breakfast and I find it helps me in the morning, so I could definitely see that.

I think fruit in general during the break (tangerine, grapes, berries - something easy to eat) would be useful. I try to have some fruit every afternoon and it helps me get through the last couple of hours of the work day.

And I'm a huge trail mix fan, so definitely support the trail mix idea.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Snacks [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2010, 10:19
This post received
KUDOS
I wasn't allowed to eat during my breaks when I took the test last year, so I wouldn't 100% count on being able to eat.

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Snacks [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2010, 11:03
i suggest 4 hour energy - i used it at both exams - no sugar overload/crash during the exam or after really. Easy to consume (like a shot) so you dont get the urge to go to the bathroom during the exam. You can get it at gas stations or grocery places.

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 13

Re: GMAT Snacks [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2010, 16:52
This post received
KUDOS
shaselai wrote:
i suggest 4 hour energy - i used it at both exams - no sugar overload/crash during the exam or after really. Easy to consume (like a shot) so you dont get the urge to go to the bathroom during the exam. You can get it at gas stations or grocery places.

I tried that for a practice exam, and it made me really jittery like I couldn't think straight. My scores did improve though, so who knows maybe it was good for me even if it didn't feel good.

I would say try your snacks first on a prac test, don't eat/drink something for the first time for the real thing! You don't want to eat a yogurt bar and realize too late you're lactose intolerant!!

If you liked my post, please consider thanking me with Kudos! I really appreciate it! :)

Expert Post
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 470 [0], given: 431

Re: GMAT Snacks [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2010, 19:09
Expert's post
boogs wrote:
I wasn't allowed to eat during my breaks when I took the test last year, so I wouldn't 100% count on being able to eat.

This is very interesting and important. Thank you for your input.

I would advise anyone who hasn't taken the GMAT yet to contact his or her test center and inquire about this. If you're not allowed to eat snacks during the break, then make sure to eat something before taking the test. Again, practice this with your CAT's.

Current Student

Re: GMAT Snacks [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2010, 06:30
trunksli wrote:
shaselai wrote:

I tried that for a practice exam, and it made me really jittery like I couldn't think straight. My scores did improve though, so who knows maybe it was good for me even if it didn't feel good.

I would say try your snacks first on a prac test, don't eat/drink something for the first time for the real thing! You don't want to eat a yogurt bar and realize too late you're lactose intolerant!!

it does give you a "wow" effect once you drink it. I didnt feel any jitters but i drank like 30 mins before exam since i was waiting. but I think with all the snacks/drinks suggested, try it out around the time of the exam ahead of time and see how your body reacts to it.

Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 74958

Re: GMAT Snacks [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2010, 07:06
Bottle of lucozade and a snickers worked for me. Had 1/3 of each during each break.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 288

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Snacks [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2010, 07:13
shaselai wrote:
trunksli wrote:
shaselai wrote:

it does give you a "wow" effect once you drink it. I didnt feel any jitters but i drank like 30 mins before exam since i was waiting. but I think with all the snacks/drinks suggested, try it out around the time of the exam ahead of time and see how your body reacts to it.

My exam is end of this month and I plan to buy a 6 pack of the 5 hour energy drink to test on practice tests leading up to the big day. I've heard bananas and/or candy bars are good too. Would love to hear feedback from prior test takers.

http://www.target.com/5-Hour-Energy-Pom ... B002YU4HKS

All's well that ends well...

GMAT debrief

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Snacks [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2010, 11:56
Been a "lurker" for about a month now and this is pretty fun topic! Yeah, just stick with almonds and banannas. Both are all natural.
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 175

Kudos [?]: 890 [0], given: 235

Re: GMAT Snacks [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 07:05
what about the following combination for each break?

banana half + 1 granola bar + 1/3 red bull + 2 sips of water

+ splashing water + loo

I m thinking of following the above. I hope I m not planning something that will do more harm than good.

I often feel hungry, even post food, if I study.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Current Student

Re: GMAT Snacks [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 07:13
gurpreetsingh wrote:
what about the following combination for each break?

banana half + 1 granola bar + 1/3 red bull + 2 sips of water

+ splashing water + loo

I m thinking of following the above. I hope I m not planning something that will do more harm than good.

I often feel hungry, even post food, if I study.

that just looks so complicated. Just drink a bottle of 5 hour energy max and you are all good to go throughout exam with no crash.

CEO
CEO

Re: GMAT Snacks [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 07:16
yea it is complicated. I m not sure whether 5-hour energy drink is available in my local store.

cant we compensate it with red-bull?

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :

Current Student

Re: GMAT Snacks [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 07:24
gurpreetsingh wrote:
yea it is complicated. I m not sure whether 5-hour energy drink is available in my local store.

hmm you could try gas stations if not maybe convenience stores but it might not be in india... Redbull supposedly has a sugar crash so i am not sure - you could try sugar free red bull and see how that goes. I like 5 hour energy because it is tiny bottle so very efficient.

CEO
CEO

Re: GMAT Snacks [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 07:54
shaselai wrote:
gurpreetsingh wrote:

hmm you could try gas stations if not maybe convenience stores but it might not be in india... Redbull supposedly has a sugar crash so i am not sure - you could try sugar free red bull and see how that goes. I like 5 hour energy because it is tiny bottle so very efficient.

I will check it.

I m giving gmatprep tomorrow with red bull in between to simulate the environment. Lets see how it goes.

Gmat test review :

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.37
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 15

Re: GMAT Snacks [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2010, 14:07
Has anyone lent any thought to long-term diets that help brain function and information absorbtion over 3-4 months?

Kudos always appreciated if my post helped you :)

Re: GMAT Snacks   [#permalink] 21 Dec 2010, 14:07