Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Jul 2014, 20:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Starting Strategy?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
Schools: Johnson '16
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Starting Strategy? [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2012, 20:04
Hello All,

I am just starting to get started on the GMAT prep. I've read through most of the stickies and posts and have been overwhelmed with information!

I'm trying to determine what books to buy, and I'm not sure which exactly I should purchase. I am looking to get 700+.

There seems to be mixed reviews between Kaplan and the 8-set of Manhattan (and apparently the PowerScore for a section called CR). I'm looking for a book to teach me the logistics (i.e. what the sections are, test format, time allotments, etc) as well as test taking strategies. Which is recommended, or should I get both... or get PowerScore CR as well?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to figure out which book to start off with.

Thanks!

-FF
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V29
GPA: 2.4
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 38

Re: GMAT Starting Strategy? [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 11:57
ffknack wrote:
Hello All,

I am just starting to get started on the GMAT prep. I've read through most of the stickies and posts and have been overwhelmed with information!

I'm trying to determine what books to buy, and I'm not sure which exactly I should purchase. I am looking to get 700+.

There seems to be mixed reviews between Kaplan and the 8-set of Manhattan (and apparently the PowerScore for a section called CR). I'm looking for a book to teach me the logistics (i.e. what the sections are, test format, time allotments, etc) as well as test taking strategies.

-FF

I recommend you read this book first :
Quote:
http://www.manhattangmat.com/gmat-uncovered.cfm

ffknack wrote:
Which is recommended, or should I get both... or get PowerScore CR as well?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to figure out which book to start off with.

Thanks!
-FF

Then if you have spend 4-5 years in Corporate world try Manhattan books..very basic and very through..
Also buy Original guide 12 (a must)
POwerScore CR is also required..Pick either of Manhattan CR or Powerscore one (my siggestion Powerscore)..

Download 2 GMAT Prep papers and see ur progress..also do download error-tracker for logging your errors.

Enjoy !!

All men dream - but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity... But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 119

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 114

Re: GMAT Starting Strategy? [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 15:41
I would recommend that you start your search here: gmat-study-plan-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html This is one of the greatest study plans ever created, and it will allow you to research what will be best for you. Feel free to stop by the Club for any help that you may need! Good luck on your GMAT journey!

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 615 [0], given: 5

Re: GMAT Starting Strategy? [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2012, 11:21
Expert's post
ffknack wrote:
Hello All,

There seems to be mixed reviews between Kaplan and the 8-set of Manhattan (and apparently the PowerScore for a section called CR). I'm looking for a book to teach me the logistics (i.e. what the sections are, test format, time allotments, etc) as well as test taking strategies. Which is recommended, or should I get both... or get PowerScore CR as well?

Thanks!

-FF

Here's an article on the 1 GMAT Strategy You Need To Know (if you want to score over 700)

A recent student's success is proof that this theory is important.

TEST STRUCTURE

Part I: Analytical Writing Assessment (AWA) – [2 Essays, 60 minutes]
A. Analysis of an Argument (30 minutes)
B. Analysis of an Issue (30 minutes)

5 min break

Part II: Quantitative Section (37 questions, 75 minutes)
A. Problem Solving (23 or 24)
B. Data Sufficiency (13 or 14)

5 min break

Part III: Verbal Section (41 questions, 75 minutes)
A. Critical Reasoning (14 or 15)
B. Reading Comprehension(4 passages, 12-14)
C. Sentence Correction (14 or 15)

How does the Computer-Adaptive Format of the test work for the Verbal and Quant sections?

The Computer-Adaptive Test (CAT) is new to most people. It helps to understand how it works, but don’t get too bogged down on the details. The test is administered at testing centers throughout the world. Just visit http://www.mba.com to register for the one nearest you at your earliest convenience.

The Verbal and Quant sections are multiple choice
Each section starts with a medium-level question
If you answer correctly, your next question is harder
If you answer incorrectlym, your next question is easier
The computer will keep adjusting to find an accurate assessment of your ability level in that subject area
Every test contains trial multiple-choice questions that are being pretested. Technically, they do not count in your scoring. However, it is impossible to identify them.
Many students panic when they see an “easy” question on the GMAT exam, indicating they probably just got the previous question wrong. You should not be focusing on these little details because they can detract from your psychological stamina during the exam. What you should be focused on is getting whatever question is thrown at you correct and moving on to the next one in a timely manner.

The # of questions you answer correctly out of 37 Q questions is translated onto a Quant raw score of 51, weighted on level of difficulty and other statistical characteristics of each question.

Likewise, the # of questions you answer correctly out of 41 V questions is translated onto a Verbal raw score of 51, weighted on level of difficulty and other statistical characteristics of each question.

Is the essay handwritten or typed?
The essays are typed. And yes, you can cut-and-paste.

How long is the GMAT score valid?
The score is valid for 5 years from the day you take the test. So even if you are not sure about business school in the next year or two, it might be a good idea to take it earlier when you are more familiar with the test-taking process. If you take the exam multiple times, business schools will see all of your scores for the last 5 years.

The new GMAT will come out in June 2012. Take GMAT before or after?

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: GMAT Starting Strategy?   [#permalink] 09 Jan 2012, 11:21