Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 19:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Gmat Story on how I scored 710 (q46, v41) & should I retake?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '17 (S)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Gmat Story on how I scored 710 (q46, v41) & should I retake? [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2014, 06:07
Hello again guys,

This is the first part of my gmat prep:

Hi guys,

I have been studying since January 6 (almost 2 months) I started by doing all the Veritas Prep books, then took a MGMAT test and got:
-580, Q38 V32 taken on 8th Feb
Then I started redoing the books I had the most difficuties with ( SR, and some of the maths), then took another test:
-640, Q42 V35 taken on 13th Feb
During the week I continued studying my flaws and then on the week end I got the same score;
-640, Q42 V35 taken on 16 Feb
I stll knew I had some flaws, and wasn´t able to finish the Quant on time, so I feld I had a lot of room for improvement.
Then, I studied for two weeks more, improving imho some of my flaws, I started doing the questions on the official guide gmat prep
online, and was surprised to see that I got most of the answers correct.
Yesterday I took a tes and got :
-590, Q40, V32 taken on3rd March
I felt a bit nervous I suppose, I finnished everything on time but had a few guesses on the Quant. Now I feel devastated, and very unsecure for my real gmat appointment on March 18. I have this week off work to study, but already anticipate I will reschedule at the end of the week for a later date.
I plan on taking another MGMAT test soon to make sure it was my attitude towards the last test that made me have that score. It also occured to me that the Veritas Prep questions feel different from the MGmat ones is this possible? My veritas Prep is from 2012... I hope for a 700+ score, I felt confortable with my math and felt I was improving but this score really demotivated me. What should I do this week? and how could I improve until March 18?

. I was feeling demotivated but never stopped studying. I postponed my exam to April 15th (today). I stopped doing MGmat Exams and started only doing OG problems ans exams. I also started an error log which didn´t help me that much since I was already aware of my flaws. I started improving staightway, I also bought the Mgmat sentence correction book (as many people say: the bible). I did the four exams ( I had bought 2 additional ones) and got 680 (q46, v38), then 650 (q47, v33) even though the total score dropped it was my best quant up to date, 730 (q48, v42) and finally 690 (q48, v 36), last Saturday, when I stopped studying. I knew I could get over 700, and was wishig for a q48+.
Today I was relaxed but tired from 3 months study and work, but feeling confident. I found the real gmat exactly the same as the OG, it was the best decision ever to drop the MGMAT, it didn´t work for me.
I wrote this 1st because you see a lot of people getting 740s and 750 throughout their practise and I did not achieve that and still got a pretty good grade. So I would like to encourage those that are scoring 670-690 to take an attempt at the gmat. The key is to make sure you can take the four hours in a row, the key is to do lots of exames, study for long periods of 75 minutes and always time your work.
And 2nd to ask for advice, should I retake? I know my quant is very low, I also got a low IR of 5.

Thank you in advance.

Luis
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 3

Premium Member
Re: Gmat Story on how I scored 710 (q46, v41) & should I retake? [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2014, 11:47
Expert's post
Congrats on achieving a score of over 700! And as for your question as to whether or not you should retake the test, that depends. What is the average score of the schools to which you are applying? 710 is a very competitive score, and my hunch is that the hours that you would spend on further GMAT prep would be better spent honing other areas of your application. But it's hard to know without a little context.

Regards,

Elizabeth

http://econgm.at/GCfreetrial
For free GMAT practice questions, follow us @econgmat_qs
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

Intern
Intern

Re: Gmat Story on how I scored 710 (q46, v41) & should I retake? [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2014, 12:42
Hi, thanks a lot for the reply and sorry for the lack of info.

Before i took the gmat i was getting 47-48 so my acore is not that far away, but i think i coult improve... However it could take me more than a month to prepare for another try at the gmat.
I am going to apply to Insead, LBS and in the US to HBS, Columbia and mit. I am a 28 years old Portuguese male. As for my education and professional career: I graduated from the Portuguese Top Engineering school with a 15/20 gpa (not a clue what that means in the american sclale, probably tpo 15-20%). I started my a career in a Portuguese Invenstment bank for 2 years, and I have been working for the Ministry of Finance for the last 2 years, as a financial consultant.

Thanks again and regards,

serza
Intern
Intern

Re: Gmat Story on how I scored 710 (q46, v41) & should I retake? [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2014, 23:33
Just got my AWA, so my final score is:

AWA: 5
IR: 5
QUANT: 46
VERBAL: 41
Re: Gmat Story on how I scored 710 (q46, v41) & should I retake?   [#permalink] 27 Apr 2014, 23:33