Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 23:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Gmat strategy ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Gmat strategy ? [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2009, 19:58
Hi - I think you intended to post this on the forum rather than send me a PM. I suggest you do so and I will be happy to reply.

Best Regards,
BB.

ursiddheart wrote:
Hi Gmatclubbers,

Although this is my first post on gmatclub, I have been accessing this blogsite for over 2 months now. Very insightful - for gmat prep as well as for the MBA admission process.

I have two areas wherein I need help:
1. I seem to lag behind on the timing aspect when I work on mock tests. How do you think I can improve on that?

2. I have read a few posts on this blogsite in which members with 11 math errors and 8 verbal errors have scored 730-740 levels. How is the grading done on the GMAT? There is always a concern on whether the earlier questions on the test carry more weightage.
I have noticed this trend while evaluating my MGMAT performance. The tests seem to begin with 500-600 level q's and then if that turns out to be correct, the next question that pops-up is of the 700-800 kinds.

Responses would be of great help.

Thanks in advance.
ursiddheart
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 395 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gmat strategy ? [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2009, 21:33
ursiddheart wrote:
1. I seem to lag behind on the timing aspect when I work on mock tests. How do you think I can improve on that?

timing-strategies-on-the-gmat-80176.html

ursiddheart wrote:
2. I have read a few posts on this blogsite in which members with 11 math errors and 8 verbal errors have scored 730-740 levels. How is the grading done on the GMAT? There is always a concern on whether the earlier questions on the test carry more weightage.

gmat-score-guide-to-gmat-scores-score-reports-83890.html

Hope, the above links will help you. All the best.

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Intern
Intern

Re: Gmat strategy ? [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2009, 22:06
Thank you, bigoyal.

I had read these posts earlier. However, my second question perturbs me. Want to know if its true that the initial q's carry more weightage. GMAC's response to this is that it decides the course of the exam, but all q's are important to gauge the ultimate result.

I quite understand that, but how do the people who score >700 strategize their approach to the exam?
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gmat strategy ? [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2009, 22:25
ursiddheart wrote:
Thank you, bigoyal.

I had read these posts earlier. However, my second question perturbs me. Want to know if its true that the initial q's carry more weightage. GMAC's response to this is that it decides the course of the exam, but all q's are important to gauge the ultimate result.

I quite understand that, but how do the people who score >700 strategize their approach to the exam?

Actually everyone has different opinion. I feel that one should focus on all the questions. The 1st few questions are relatively easier, so one can even save time from the fist few queries.

apologies for posting one more link, but here you'll find discussions on your queries.
first-10-questions-on-the-gmat-84001.html

All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores

Intern
Intern

Re: Gmat strategy ? [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2009, 23:05
Thank you.
I have my exam on 29th Sep. Will have to see how it goes.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gmat strategy ? [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2009, 23:17
ursiddheart wrote:
Thank you.
I have my exam on 29th Sep. Will have to see how it goes.

Oh! so you don't have much time. Anyway, just my 2 cents,
- try to give importance to each and every question
- don't try to verify / crosscheck any of the answers, else you'll waste lot of time
- in verbal, just keep answering the questions, don't bother about rechecking / re-reading the questions again and again. Its more important to complete the section.
- and don't guess more than 2 questions in a row. Your guesses should be spread across the whole test. 2-3 incorrect answers in a row will reduce your score.

Keep working with GMATPrep tests, reset and attempt the tests again. And don't forget to revise your reading materials a day before the test.

All the best, and keep posting.

Intern
Intern

Re: Gmat strategy ? [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2009, 23:29
Thank you.

I use MS-Vista Professional edition and want to know how to reset the GMATPrep tests on my comp.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gmat strategy ? [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2009, 23:32
ursiddheart wrote:
Thank you.

I use MS-Vista Professional edition and want to know how to reset the GMATPrep tests on my comp.

When you start the test, I think it asks if you want to continue where you left or start again.

Re: Gmat strategy ?   [#permalink] 23 Sep 2009, 23:32