Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 16:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Stress and Strain---Four Hours

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

GMAT Stress and Strain---Four Hours [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 01:05
I have given GMAT twice, both the time my score was appalling, Initially I was under prepared, and second time I was decently prepared but results reflected instead.

Based my analysis, I believe that, constant stress and strain of four hours and constant staring on computer screens leads to lapse in concentration.

This results into silly mistakes, over-reading and some delay in analysis.

I have faced these issues and trying to find some kind of solution on this. If anybody has faced similar issues or has any solution on this please do write back as it will be great help.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1013

Kudos [?]: 4324 [0], given: 161

Re: GMAT Stress and Strain---Four Hours [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 08:16
Expert's post
Kunal3333 wrote:
I have given GMAT twice, both the time my score was appalling, Initially I was under prepared, and second time I was decently prepared but results reflected instead.

Based my analysis, I believe that, constant stress and strain of four hours and constant staring on computer screens leads to lapse in concentration.

I have faced these issues and trying to find some kind of solution on this. If anybody has faced similar issues or has any solution on this please do write back as it will be great help.

We all perform better on paper based tests instead of CATs. But the score difference should not be very much and with some practice, you should be able to overcome the problems. All GMAT practice tests are available online so that should give you lots of practice. Learn to make mental notes of info given in the question (or write down the important numbers). You need to befriend computers not just for the test but also for everything you will need to do in your MBA and work life.
Studies show that people read paper books much faster than eBooks so everyone is facing that handicap which means everyone is on an equal footing. Try and study online as much as possible.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 282

Kudos [?]: 417 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Stress and Strain---Four Hours [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 08:44
Expert's post
You bring up an excellent point, and one that often gets short shrift amongst the fray of strategies and tips. Simply put, staring at a screen for 4 hours fatigues most. Not sufficiently practicing on a computer screen can make test day even more stressful, as you pointed out. (Here is a helpful post that expands on this point: Overcoming GMAT Test Anxiety

The good news is you are not alone. The even better news (don't worry no bad news here :), is that there are ways for you to improve your endurance for taking a CAT. Most notably, the GMATprep offers two on-line tests, which, since they created by GMAC itself, have the same granular, pixillated look of the actual GMAT CAT (not to mention the same deviously concocted questions :)).

There are also other online tests out there, such as MGMAT 6-tests. Taking a test once a week should definitely help you become more accustomed to the screen.

Another avenue for honing your CAT skills is Magoosh. Our entire GMAT product is computer based. Indeed each questions comes with a clock, so you're not only getting the experience of solving questions on a computer screen, but are doing so under timed conditions. And our hours and hours of video lessons make learning in front of a computer almost second-nature :).

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Last edited by ChrisLele on 30 Apr 2012, 11:11, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Forum Moderator
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: GMAT Stress and Strain---Four Hours [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 08:52
Hi Chrislele ,

I bought the Magoosh package , but I didn't see any option for a CAT test ! Where can I find this option ?

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 282

Kudos [?]: 417 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Stress and Strain---Four Hours [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 08:59
Expert's post
@georgepaul

Magoosh allows you to create your own mock tests, based on four different levels of difficulty. As of now, we don't have an actual computer adapted test. However our hundreds of practice questions lend themselves to a variety of different ways to construct mock exams, or just do regular practice questions.

In regards to this post, Magoosh will help improve one's ability to solve questions on a computer, which, in turn, will help one on the day of the actual GMAT CAT.

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

GMAT Forum Moderator
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: GMAT Stress and Strain---Four Hours [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 10:16
Oh ok , I did'nt know you were referring to that earlier ! Unfortunately I didn't find these mini tests to be adaptive , I loved the video explanations though !

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: GMAT Stress and Strain---Four Hours [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 21:34
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Kunal3333 wrote:

We all perform better on paper based tests instead of CATs. But the score difference should not be very much and with some practice, you should be able to overcome the problems. All GMAT practice tests are available online so that should give you lots of practice. Learn to make mental notes of info given in the question (or write down the important numbers). You need to befriend computers not just for the test but also for everything you will need to do in your MBA and work life.
Studies show that people read paper books much faster than eBooks so everyone is facing that handicap which means everyone is on an equal footing. Try and study online as much as possible.

Thanks Karishma for your suggestions, especially of the mental notes. Hope I do better this time. Thank You for writing..........
Re: GMAT Stress and Strain---Four Hours   [#permalink] 30 Apr 2012, 21:34