Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:18 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: GMAT struggle [#permalink]
Expert Reply
justdan wrote:
After around 2 months(I didn't prepare much) I took it again and I scored 640 (Q48, V-28), besides scoring 760 and 740 at the GMAT prep software. I did a stupid thing by spending ~10 min on the first quant question, since I couldn't concentrate. Regarding the verbal part, I did not prepare much, so I guess that might be the reason of such a low score.

The first time I didn't prepare much, besides solving all OG and one Advanced quant book.

Hi justdan,

When I mentioned that you probably had not studied enough (for your prior attempts at the GMAT), I was basing that off of what you specifically stated. The work that you've done since then seems focused on the number of questions that you've done, but not necessarily on the quality/relevance of the material (nor the Tactics that you've learned/practiced). This is all meant to say that there are some BIG unknowns in how you might perform on this next GMAT.

1) Have you taken all 4 of the GMAC CATs or just the 2 free Exams?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT struggle [#permalink]

Originally posted by justdan on 12 Nov 2015, 06:30.
Last edited by justdan on 21 Dec 2015, 03:12, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi justdan,

It looks like you've taken the 2 GMAC CATs repeatedly - taking a CAT that you've already taken almost always leads to an unrealistic, 'inflated' score - so we can't assume that ANY of those scores are accurate. While no CAT is an exact match for what you'll see on Test Day, the MGMAT CATs are 'close enough' - those score results all seem in line with your second Official GMAT score. With the information that you've provided, I would assume that you would probably score in the mid-600s to high-600s on the Official GMAT.

You have a greater opportunity to pick up points in the Verbal section than in the Quant section, so if you plan to stick with your current Test Date, then continuing with the extra Verbal practice makes sense. You should NOT be taking CATs every day though - there's NO benefit in doing that (and you might end up 'burning out' before Test Day).

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM

Originally posted by justdan on 13 Nov 2015, 03:44.
Last edited by justdan on 21 Dec 2015, 03:12, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Dan,

If you've read anything into my posts besides a professional evaluation, then you've misunderstood the point of these posts. When someone asks for suggestions, wants advice or is looking to define why a 'problem' exists, I'll answer the questions that are asked. The GMAT is a predictable, standardized Test, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. However, if you (or anyone, for that matter) are making choices that actually work AGAINST that goal, then I'm going to point that out - BECAUSE I'm trying to help you to score at a higher level. I'm actually being remarkably 'supportive' right now, just not in the 'rah rah, everything is going to be fine" way that you might be looking for.

I think that your latest CAT result is encouraging - and I have no doubt that you have the necessarily skills to score at a high level. However, you skipped the IR section on this CAT, so you took a shorter, easier Exam and the score result is likely 'inflated.' THAT prior sentence is not meant to be anything more than informational. If you make choices during your studies that are problematic, then I'm going to point them out. Whether you score 700+ or not on Test Day will come down to work that you do and the points that you EARN. NOW is the time when you can 'fix' many of these little issues, but you have detach yourself from any emotional response and focus on the advice and the work.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM

Originally posted by justdan on 23 Nov 2015, 05:56.
Last edited by justdan on 21 Dec 2015, 03:13, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi krtibdewal,

First off, a 660/Q50 is a strong score (it's right around the 80th percentile overall), so it could be enough to get you into Oxford (although that score is at the lower end of the spectrum for that School). Since it's in line with your other Official Scores, this just might be your ability level. Since you're short on time, low on CATs and you don't want to spend any more money, there's likely no quick way to get you to 700+. As such, you might want to work with this score and try to put together some well-designed application(s).

You would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of them here:

ask-admission-consultants-124/

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi krtibdewal,

First off, a 660/Q50 is a strong score (it's right around the 80th percentile overall), so it could be enough to get you into Oxford (although that score is at the lower end of the spectrum for that School). Since it's in line with your other Official Scores, this just might be your ability level. Since you're short on time, low on CATs and you don't want to spend any more money, there's likely no quick way to get you to 700+. As such, you might want to work with this score and try to put together some well-designed application(s).

You would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of them here:

ask-admission-consultants-124/

Rich

Actually I found a quick one without spending money. I chilled for 2 weeks, took the GMAT several days ago and got 710. I guess you didn't spot that for all my CATs my Verbal was higher than 32 and sometimes reached 40+. So, by stating that 660 this is my ability level, after taking into consideration that I could easily score Q48+ on the real thing and for all my MCATs I had ~Q44-Q46, you made an obvious mistake. If you still think that GMAT score is predictable, then it seems that you are wrong, since you predicted than 700+ is unlikely without any further preparation. What is strange is that I actually did not prepare at all. Cheers dude, and I would suggest other people to NOT take EMPOWER GMAT courses, since their tutors are having problems with probability questions ;)
P.s: As a matter of fact, I finished Verbal ~7 minutes earlier and still improved my Verbal score by around 10 points.
GMAT Club Bot