Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 926 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: GMAT STUDY GROUP FOR FEB 28 APPEARANTS [#permalink]
I would recommend Reading the basics before getting the OG, but since you have already covered the GMAT (and taken it) briefly skimming through the main concepts should do fine for those topics that you are quite comfortable with. I am hitting OG Quant book tomorow .. My problem is with strategy and the tougher questions..I am hitting 42-44 consistently in quant (mock tests) but need to get 2-5 points boost (looking for a similar test date as you). After i finish my OG quant book, i will proceed to redo my concepts (again for quant hence the round2) and will be consulting Jeff Saksmann's book and its associated questions (i have studied from the MGMAT strategy guides, and answered questions from OG12/13, This forum, Veritas books (Adv word problems, DS book) and high school books).. I will be looking @ thoroughly revising GEOMETRY (Emphasis on Co-ordinate and line equations) and Statistics, probability and combinatrics) as if i were doing it for the first time (ID'd them as my weak areas after round 1)... Will be in STUDY mode till the 20-25 and will look to take the First MGMAT CAT during the holidays..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the advice. I have Ramki's GMAT, IMS GMAT, TIME GMAT. What I plan to do is pick up each chapter from each of these books and exhaust those questions. I am very weak in inequalities. Any idea, where can I find good stuff to strengthen this chapter concepts?
I plan to complete my grammar and all my maths chapters from TIME, RAMKI'S & IMS by Dec 12. Hope its a realistic timeline for me.
Once done with this I plan to complete my OG from Dec 12 to 17.

I am working and come home by 6:30pm so can workout from 7:30 to 12 at a stretch.

Are you working?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I have Ramki's GMAT, IMS GMAT, TIME GMAT.

What is RAMKI's GMAT, IMS GMAT? Is there a way to acquire them?

I tried a few CAT books (A Sharma) and a few other quantitative books but found them to be too much (content wise as well as the questions (both the degree of difficulty and the way they were worded) of a diviation from the way GMAT test makers format questions (as well as pure content and Syllabus)..

One Indian (NON GMAT) book that i did like VERY much, and one which helped me review Quant from a Ground up level (as i had not touched quant for about a decade before i started GMAT prep) was this

https://www.flipkart.com/quantitative-ap ... 0070706354

Its cheap, and although insufficient for CAT (as many aspirants of CAT have told me) it is great to review GMAT coursework and to develop skills for the Easy to moderate level of questioning on the GMAT (great questions on RATE/work, speed, and geometry ..

If you have not exhausted this source , do this first:

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#-question-bank/

For Verbal, i would recommend exhausting the official sources first and then sticking to tried and tested companies like MGMAT, KAPLAN, PR, VP etc etc .. For CR, and RC if you are hitting high accuracy with OG material, you can try CR and RC from LSAT sources...For details on content and strategy I would recommend the tried and tested books for verbal :

SC Bible or SC Guide by MGMAT
Power Score CR Book/LSAT book/MGMAT CR
RC. MGMAT/VP etc..

I wouldn't touch any Indian coaching sources on Verbal, as the way the questions are created in CR and SC is very important..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Managed to get these material from friends and cousins and concepts given well. So thought that to start off with chapter wise concepts, would refer this. Problem is that these are all hardcopies and doesnt help u solve within timeline but I feel that its better to use hardcopies for the startup conceptual level.

I did visit the veritasprep site link that u gave me. Is it free or I need to take a paid membership for the question bank.
Any suggestion for "Inequalities" concepts.

Dont go for any CAT level material. It will not help you get a grip over the GMAT question technique. Refer only GMAT books.
I will search for MGMAT online as well.

Will keep you posted on daily basis on the progress front. As in the study I did and the no. of questions solved.
Are you working now??? When do you plan to take your exam???
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Quote:
Is it free or I need to take a paid membership for the question bank.

Its free, you just have to register with them.

Quote:
Any suggestion for "Inequalities" concepts.

I found the MGMAT, Number properties book to cover it extremely well. If you did not like the content in that book, you can perhaps try to search this forum to see which other source covers Inequalities well.

You can try video notes :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez05MYHBnlg

Or Thursdays with Ron : He has quant inequalities sessions ( I think 3 of them)

https://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm

Quote:
Dont go for any CAT level material. It will not help you get a grip over the GMAT question technique

Found that out early on..The other book i referred to is a general quant book , and i found it very useful because i was starting from the bottom of the bottom. Some of the chapters in it have questions that can easily be clubbed in the 650-700 level on the GMAT (and are relevant)..

Quote:
Are you working now??? When do you plan to take your exam??

Yes, i am a practicing Pathologist (MD), and work from 8 to 2 (including saturday's)..I study around 2-4 hours/day on weekdays and 3-5 hours a day on saturday (sunday is always OFF) ..I plan to take it around the middle of Febuary, so that i can re take it in May-June if i do not get my desired score (Anything around 700 will be more then enough for the programs i am looking at).. I am currently hitting 630 in CAT's and need a 50-70 point improvement overall..Will be looking to send out my applications around September 2013...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GPA: 3
Send PM
vomhorizon wrote:
Although i started my GMAT Prep a few months back, and Have finished Round 1 of my prep..I have just recently started Round 2. I will be starting the Round 2 Quant prep on the third, so if you are interested i can be a part of the study group if you wish to start quant before your verbal prep...

Hey vomhorizon,

I wish to join ur second round prep....
Though me too finished my round 1 prep... I'm not confident enough....

Still below 600 :x

Just map me along with ur study plan's.... :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I have almost exhausted the OG Quant review book ( 30-40 DS questions left)..Can post my error log if you are interested (although it will take some time to Type).. I was not getting psyched to re do my notes or the Prep material i have, so ordered the Total Gmat MATH book (Jeff Saks. ) as it came highly recommended from BB for round 2. Have started the Geometry session.. I have completed Critical reasoning in my verbal prep..Will be starting with SC in a couple of days.. Will keep you posted..

My strategy and material for Round 2 include:

Quant:

* Veritas Prep Data Suff. (found DS to be my weakness after R1) : FINISHED
* Veritas prep. Advanced Word Problems: FINISHED
* OG Quant (Extra bit of official questions, this time timed) : Almost Done
* Total GMAT Math : Reviewing Coursework and strategy once again , Including around 300 questions that come wit it
* Co-ordinate Geometry, Particularly Line equations (Gmat club questions)
* Statistics (From the Total GMAT book, plus questions from gmatclub.com)
* Review everything else atleast once ( 2 full days per MGMAT Strategy guide for quant)

Verbal

* Critical Reasoning : Review Text book : FINISHED ( Power Score LSAT LR Book)
* CR , Practice advanced questions ( Finished Kaplan 800, Kaplan premier, and 4 full LSAT Sections)
* Review Sentence correction ( MGMAT SC Book, plus Basic Grammar book ( W Martin)
* Review RC Strategy Guide (MGMAT): FINISHED
* Practice LSAT RC Questions: PENDING + Kaplan 800 : FINISHED
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey Vomhorizon,

My updates from Mon- Wed

100 questions on number sustem
50 questions on speed time distance, time and work
50 question on ratio prop, variation
50 questions on percentage, profit and loss, partnership, SI & CI
50 questions on Avg, mixtures-alligation

Today plan to do
50 questions on Co-ordinate geometry
50 geometry
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
My plan for Thursday through Saturday:

*Watch Thursdays with Ron videos on Co-ordinate Geometry
* Detail revision of Statistics (Probability, P&C, Mean,Median,Mode,Range,Freq. etc)
* Practice Co-ordinate Geometry DS
* SI and CI questions (totally forgot to cover them in the round 1 and only realized it when i saw your post :-)
* Finish Quant Questions on the Kaplan 800

# Start to read the verbal foundation book from MGMAT (SC portion)

Do mention the sources from where you intend to practice the questions, so that we can rate them in the future (after completion) for others that may also want to review questions.. Later today i will write down my thoughts on the OG Quant book ..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GPA: 3
Send PM
My Plan for Friday,

Practice test in MGMAT

Gotta do PS in OG 13
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 926 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
This is the first in the weekly CHALLENGE problem SET i will be posting ... This covers most of the quant topics (may not cover all)..

Total questions 37 (around 12 DS questions)

Difficulty : A mixed bag, Some questions around the 600 mark, most around the 650 mark, and some around the 700 mark.. Overall i would guess that a person who answers around 75-80% of the questions correctly looks good to get a 45+ on the actual test (provided it is timed)

Instructions : You should look to finish this set in around 75 - 80 minutes ( Reason for giving a few extra minutes for the set is because it is mostly full of Word problems (as that is what i was practicing in the last few weeks)..

Source: All questions are GMAT style, Sources are from VERITAS PREP, MGMAT, OG, GMAT HACKS ...

Post your answers to each question either in a word file or in a post (and i will give you the score) and we can discuss OA and if you have any problems , post the question no. (slide no.) and we can discuss the questions as group.

Hope it helps...
Attachments

Important question SET 6-12-12.pptx [90.35 KiB]
Downloaded 78 times

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi Team,
Saw your forum liked the way you are preparing i am not sure about the date but will try definitely to give in the month of February 13. I am a BE graduate and currently working in an MNC as a Software Developer. I had given GMAT on November but scored very less. I am planning to give the GMAT again . Earlier i was totally out of my minds once i saw my score gave up all the hopes but after looking in some forums got the boost up to again retake and prepare for the exams. I am highly impressed by the way you all are preparing i shall be starting from today. Currently I have only 2 books OG 12th edition and Kaplan. I am not so good in the grammer portion as i usually make mistakes while solving SC, CR. Not a good reader also. Quant i will say i am ok with but face difficulties in Geometry. Kindly help me also so that i can start again with the full determination. Also please advise which topics or books i should refer in the starting.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 478 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012
Send PM
Hey guys include me too in the study group.
I was totally devastated after seeing my score after month long prep in mock test.
After reading these post got energized again.
I have already started with Verbal
I have finished with Powerscore CR bible and had reviewed OG12 CR question twice.
Immense review helped in my CR(earlier my dreaded session) hit rate :-)
Moving to SC in weekends now following same above approach and simultaneously doing one RC.
as well as few questions from OG2 Verbal review CR to keep a grip.

Reading either of economist,fortune hbr magazine daily in office bus .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Quote:
Hi Team,
Saw your forum liked the way you are preparing i am not sure about the date but will try definitely to give in the month of February 13. I am a BE graduate and currently working in an MNC as a Software Developer. I had given GMAT on November but scored very less. I am planning to give the GMAT again . Earlier i was totally out of my minds once i saw my score gave up all the hopes but after looking in some forums got the boost up to again retake and prepare for the exams. I am highly impressed by the way you all are preparing i shall be starting from today. Currently I have only 2 books OG 12th edition and Kaplan. I am not so good in the grammer portion as i usually make mistakes while solving SC, CR. Not a good reader also. Quant i will say i am ok with but face difficulties in Geometry. Kindly help me also so that i can start again with the full determination. Also please advise which topics or books i should refer in the starting.

You are most welcomed to join us here in our prep. If grammar is your main weakness, i think you need to look seriously into your grammar prep, and whether you can do on your own or need to seek help. If you are inclined towards the latter seriously contemplate coaching, whether offline or online. I am getting around the 75th percentile in verbal, but still want to touch the 90th percentile so will be seeking the E-Gmat SC course.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Quote:
I have finished with Powerscore CR bible and had reviewed OG12 CR question twice.
Immense review helped in my CR(earlier my dreaded session) hit rate
Moving to SC in weekends now following same above approach and simultaneously doing one RC.

Try the quant set i have posted. It would take you around 80 minutes . As far as SC is concerned, try all the OG12/13 problems, and post your error log (the question numbers you got wrong) and spot for patterns on which question types (if any ) you are consistently getting wrong. Doing OG throughout and repeatedly should be enough practice (in addition to the guides you consult) to get a 70-75th percentile in verbal..

Quote:
Reading either of economist,fortune hbr magazine daily in office bus .

What will be better then simply reading is taking notes, especially trying to create HEADLINES, or noting down the MAIN points of each para.. Try to summarize an article in 6-10 lines.. that will be more beneficial then simply reading for the sake of reading..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey Saujoy & Aristocrat,

Welcome to the group. We have all taken GMAT once but not satisfied with our scores.
We intend to take our exam by Feb 28 or March 1st week.

Beginners in the preps (like me) are right now sticking to chapterwise conceptual questions solving and building our base strong in maths. Side by side doing our grammar studies and small exercises. If you feel the need of a coaching, now is the time. I would recommend not to loose on time if you want to join one and if you want to remain with self study, do grammar from Manhattan SC book. Really good but a little vast to cover.

We are here aiming to get done with grammar & exhaust our chapterwise conceptual material along with 50 questions on each chapter by Dec 30.
Jan would be only for verbal and maths practice tests. we intend to complete our verbal by feb 1st week. Then I plan to take an off from work and give tests till my exam.

We post our doings daily to update to be disciplined.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 478 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012
Send PM
Hey vomhorizon,

I have maintained error log.
But still clueless about how to maintain error logs properly.
I think i am not following correct way.
Can you help me out with these?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2