Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 05:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Study Plan Help Moving from 620 (Q44, V31) to 750

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1251

CAT Tests
GMAT Study Plan Help Moving from 620 (Q44, V31) to 750 [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2014, 09:59
Background
The first time I studied for the GMAT was during the summer of 2011. I just used the Official Guide as my main resource for practicing questions. Halfway during my study, I found GMATClub, but did not take full advantage of its resources. Foolishly, the first time I took a GMATPrep practice exam was the week before my exam date. I took the actual exam in September 2011 in the afternoon after a night of 6 hours of sleep and scored a 620 (Q44, V31).

2 years later, I am back, and I am aiming for a 750 (Q49+, V42) with a goal of taking the exam in May 2014. My weakness is in Verbal especially in CR, and my strength is in Quant. I am a native English speaker, and I am a working professional.

I started my studying in October 2013, and I planned to take the exam in March. However, I quickly realized that after 2 months of studying Quant, I would not achieve my goal, so I pushed the date to April. Unfortunately at this time, I am only getting 40% of 600-level Quant questions correct, and only 30% of 600-level GMATPrep questions. I also need to start studying for RC and CR. Because of this, I pushed the exam again to May 2014.

Material
Quant
PS - Magoosh
DS - Magoosh

Verbal
SC - Magoosh, MGMAT; classic books (Animal Farm, The Great Gatsby, Moby Dick, etc.) and articles from WSJ, Bloomberg, NYTimes, Atlantic
CR - MGMAT
RC - MGMAT, Magoosh; classic books and articles

Strategy
My strategy is to review the fundamentals of all question types before practicing questions. I checked the question types that I missed the most in my past exams, and focused my practice on those. I then practice questions on this site from reliable sources (GMATPrep, OG, Veritas, MGMAT, etc.). I keep an Error Log of these questions, and for SC, I try to understand why the correct answer is correct and why the incorrect answers are incorrect. In Quant, I try to find the quickest solution to the problem, and I have recently decided to stop working on Quant problems that take me longer than 3 minutes to solve, because it means that I am approaching them ineffectively. Right now, I would like to give a special shout out to Bunuel, VeritasPrepKarishma, and walker; your help has been invaluable to my studying.

Starting in November, I committed to about 5 Quant questions and 5 SC questions each workday (M-Thursday) and 5 Quant and 10 SC questions each weekend day (F-Sunday). The number is low, because I thoroughly review each question to ensure that I understand the underlying concepts. Ex: It takes me about 1 hour to review 5-6 SC questions, and I believe the review time per question needs to significantly decrease.

At the beginning of November, I took one free Quant exam on this site and scored a measly Q41, and I took one of the GMAT club tests on 12/28/13 and scored a Q35, which was worse than I had scored in the first exam. Most of the reason for scoring low on the most recent exam is that I spent too much time on each question (2m 30s+, 3m+, 4m+, and even 5m+).

Please tell me what you see me doing incorrectly, because I have not seen a lot of score improvement since the first time I started studying, and I definitely know that something needs to change in my study plan in order for me to reach my goal.

Last edited by TooLong150 on 04 Jan 2014, 11:56, edited 3 times in total.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 72

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Study Plan Help Moving from 620 (Q44, V31) to 750 [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2014, 10:51
deleted, since the post above has been edited

Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true

Last edited by LalaB on 11 Jan 2014, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1251

CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan Help Moving from 620 (Q44, V31) to 750 [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2014, 17:00
Thanks, LalaB. Anyone else have suggestions?
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 612 [0], given: 5

Re: GMAT Study Plan Help Moving from 620 (Q44, V31) to 750 [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2014, 11:13
Expert's post
hi TooLong150,

Doing 5 quant and 5 sc questions per day is fine to get warmed up and learn from your mistakes. That should be stage 1.

Stage 2 should be mixing together all the various verbal questions and various quant questions. For verbal, you might see an SC question, then an RC passage, then a CR question - make sure you are able to adjust your psychological state of mind quickly. If you get used to doing only SC questions, then you might get thrown off balance on the real thing.

Once you've reviewed, say, 5 sets of questions....then a few days later - test yourself to see if you really "mastered" those questions that you reviewed.

You should be able to breeze through each question with absolutely no mistakes - if you are still making mistakes - then you need to make an extra effort to make sure you internalize your learnings. Keep retesting yourself to make sure you actually learned from your mistakes.

Something does appear to be off with your improvement thus far - perhaps a video approach may help you? Try: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... stion/1213

Do take a look at our question bank and consider upgrading to get access to the video solutions and structured course material: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: GMAT Study Plan Help Moving from 620 (Q44, V31) to 750   [#permalink] 13 Jan 2014, 11:13