Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 05:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2010, 12:27
Great u r really doing wonderful job. Thanks this site is kiosk 4 GMAT. I hope I can take my score 550( q46 , v20) to 700 in next 4 months.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Haas, Ross, Cornell, LBS, INSEAD, Oxford, IESE/IE
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 117

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2010, 10:30
bb! thanks for your suggestion & reply ( highly appreciated ). Actually it's been along time since I dealt with basic stuff, so I think I gotta review a bit before I take GmatPrep. May be I am afraid that I would do badly on them ( as I've been totally out of them, I don't even remember basic formulas such as perimeter of a circle). And, I am an international that's why, not that much into CR etc.
I think I should take a week to have a look at them ( or how much do you suggest? ). What do you suggest? Any suggestion would be really appreciable.
Thanks again!

"Don't be afraid of the space between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so."
Target=780
http://challengemba.blogspot.com
Kudos??

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2010, 10:35
And yea is it possible that I may take only Quant portion of GmatPrep and then take Verbal when I feel like? What books would u suggest to just have a look on basic stuff before I take GmatPrep ( so that I can recall them ).

"Don't be afraid of the space between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so."
Target=780
Kudos??

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2220

Kudos [?]: 8215 [0], given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2010, 19:01
Expert's post
AtifS wrote:
And yea is it possible that I may take only Quant portion of GmatPrep and then take Verbal when I feel like? What books would u suggest to just have a look on basic stuff before I take GmatPrep ( so that I can recall them ).

Yes, it is possible. You are welcome to do as much or as little as you wish - it does not really matter.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Affiliations: PRM
WE 1: Risk management

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2010, 09:52
Hello 2 all!
Bb, fantastic site! Thanks a lot for nice-looking working plan! I will start my prep in accordance with it from February 1, 2010. My ultimate target is 700+.

Yours faithfully,
Vlad

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2010, 18:58
Bb,

This is my first post after five months of being a member of the GMAT Club... I ve already enrolled to a Kaplan course and I will start it in a couple of weeks. The only experience I ve had with the GMAT is from a couple of books that I purchased over year ago but that never really studied them. I am decided to get as high score as I can in the first try, so that's why I enrolled. I believe I am just the kind of person that learns better in a classroom. My score in the Kaplan Diagnostic Test was 570... but I am, like many in this forum, aiming to a 700+ score... I will participate often in the discussion forums since I ve read wonderful things about them... I think I am in the right path, we will find out soon if that's true...

Thanks for your advices, you guys have a lot of experience with this process, so I believe it is really worth it to listen and learn... by the way... I ve just downloaded Sidartha for Kindle... people should know that book is for free in that store... I hope that improves my verbal score...

Good luck to everyone that is starting the MBA journey... it should be a wonderful ride...

Greetings from Mexico... :-D

It ain't over til it's over - Yogi Berra

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2010, 21:43
gmat newb here...really learning a lot from this place...thanks to you all!

Last edited by derekjung80 on 31 Dec 2012, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2010, 21:56
Expert's post
Welcome guys and good luck.
If you have any suggestions, please do let me know and I will try to include them regularly.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2010, 13:33
Hello,

So far I have followed the plan the past two months...I went from a diagnostic of 480 (v25 q32) to a 570 (v29 q41). I have 3 weeks left until the test.

Thank you soo much!! I love this website and all the advice has been awesome.

I need a 570 to get into the Depaul Ms in Finance program, so I think I am in good shape.

What areas do you think I should concentrate the most these last three weeks?

I have all my days to study (I am unemployed), I am using Knewton (have way through the course, I will post a review after I am done with the test), Gmat hacks math book and Mgmat SC book. I have like 10 more gmats left to take.

Also, what point increase should I realistically expect from 570 in this three week span?

I am planning on taking the Gmat again in June in hope of getting 700. (I will have 2 1/2 more months to study after a 2 week break from this first exam), to improve my employment opportunities after graduation.

Thanks a lot!

I love GMAT club! I am ecuadorian living in Chicago the past 2 years.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2010, 15:20
Expert's post
Thanks and congratulations - looking forward to your debrief and a big success story :wink:

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern
WE 1: IT Services and Product Development

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2010, 16:45
Hi bb ,

been away for a long time from gmatclub !

took the test in december and scored a 690 , very disappointed :cry:

got an ISB ding :? was the only school I applied to this year

want to hit 740+ . any suggestions for me . planning to retake in june.

my breakdown :arrow: (Q: 48 V:37 AWA:5.0)

procrastination is the biggest sin of all

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2010, 17:07
Expert's post
My suggestion would be this plan: gmat-study-plan-go-from-650-to-80235.html
By the way, 690 is not a bad score at all. ISB of course is highly competitive but 690 is not bad at all.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern
WE 1: IT Services and Product Development

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 05:38
bb wrote:
My suggestion would be this plan: gmat-study-plan-go-from-650-to-80235.html
By the way, 690 is not a bad score at all. ISB of course is highly competitive but 690 is not bad at all.

thanks for the guidance bb

will start working on it

procrastination is the biggest sin of all

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2010, 10:39
Hello! I havent write posts last time, but i have carefully look at matherial and idioms that i have found heve; they are very useful, thanks a lot. Now i have many many questions=) first of all i want to ast the professionals, i have make me familiar with GMAT tasks(Q and V) have loo through my OG for 3 month but not very intensive. at last month i have spend more time at Vebal. And now i realise that i ve forgotten the Math. 1 month i have, want to work more intensive. Today i have done online sample test. But it was horrible, verbal only 29 % or 12 from 41. What can i do? By the way i have 1 time choose answers without readung and i have got 27%. How can i improove my score? i want to have 650
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2010, 10:42
Expert's post
What books did you use?

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Founder of GMAT Club

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 6

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2010, 07:11
This post received
KUDOS
Please guide me on this:
journey-begins-guide-me-guys-90607.html

Yogesh Agarwal
yogeshagarwala@gmail.com

CONSIDER AWARDING KUDOS IF MY POST HELPS !!!

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2010, 16:05
Thank you for your study plan information. My journey begins tomorrow as it pertains to my 3 month study plan. I will be applying for schools towards the end of this year! Great web site and posts from all of it's members!
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2010, 02:39
Hi,

This is my first post. Read quite a few of the posts here and it has really proved useful as I was totally unaware of the whats and hows of GMAT. Great job and a big thanks to all!!!

I have around 4 -5 months to prepare. I am working as a software engineer from 12 noon to 11 night. So that gives me the morning hours to prepare. I can squeeze in around 3 hours per day and much more on weekends. Could you please let me know of this is sufficient?

I have a few doubts. Could you kindly clear?

1. You have mentioned not to waste OG until one is prepared with the stuffs. So could you please give a sequential list of books to be used.

2. Is it okay to give the GMAT prep test without preparing? If not, could you kindly tell me which other test will give me a clear idea of where I stand? Once this is done, I can give the test and then plan further with your help. :-D

3. I am pretty weak in Quants. Could you kindly give me a plan as to how to go about this? Like which book to start first with and how to progress?

Reply highly awaited!

Thank you so much!
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: AIESEC Member
Schools: Rotterdam School of Management
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 36

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2010, 03:59
i have a question, I'm starting to make a plan and I'm considering which books are the best prep material. I saw that you prefer the Kaplan series, but some members told me it's the best to start with the Manhattan series. Please let me know your advice. Also is it OK to get the Official guide, first go through it and than get other materials?
Thank you in advance
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 04:32
atanasovd wrote:
i have a question, I'm starting to make a plan and I'm considering which books are the best prep material. I saw that you prefer the Kaplan series, but some members told me it's the best to start with the Manhattan series. Please let me know your advice. Also is it OK to get the Official guide, first go through it and than get other materials?
Thank you in advance

Man Official Guides are essential and first have some review then go to OG. To do first half of the questions untimed is OK but other half attempt them with time & try to do questions in chunks everyday.

Target=780
Kudos??

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey   [#permalink] 04 Mar 2010, 04:32