Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 06:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2010, 05:06
Hi,
I have just started GMAT preparations, I had OG 11th edition so took the diagnostic test to start with and got the score ranges as the one below.
1. Quant- Above Avg.
2. DS - Above Avg.
3. RC - Above Avg.
4. CR - Excellent
5. SC - Average.

I want to take GMAT in two months. Shall I start with MGMAT -SC (I have 2007 edition) and later to other subjects.What all Books shall I refer to and what shall be my strategy?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2010, 12:14
Hi all

Thank for your great experiences and ideas shared in this forum.

I am a newbie for the GMAT and I plan to take GMAT in July, 2010. My first target is 600.

I have gone through many links and threads in this forum, especially for how to make a good study plan and I realised that most of people have received valuable advices. So I decide to post my study plan here and hopefully, I will get some ideas and comments to make my plan more effectively.

I am not native English speaker. Although I completed my bachelor programme in English in European country, I believe my English skill is still at low level, particularly for GMAT preparation. Therefore, I should divide my plan into 2 stages.

The first stage is to review English grammar and general writing and reading strategies. I am going to spend 1 month for this stage (5 hours per day). My weakness is probably vocabulary and understanding business idioms. To solve these problems, I am reading The Economist (very carefully 2 articles per day) and GMAT Fiction now. Could you suggest any other ideas to enlarge my vocabulary?

The second one is to follow 3 months plan which BB suggested. I will apply and adjust something after I take a diagnostic test. To prepare for this stage from now, what I need is a collection of GMAT books which is suitable with my background and my 600-target. Could you recommend me some ideas?

I look forward to receiving all your suggestions.

Have a nice day
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2010, 17:46
tieusu81 wrote:
Hi all

Thank for your great experiences and ideas shared in this forum.

I am a newbie for the GMAT and I plan to take GMAT in July, 2010. My first target is 600.

I have gone through many links and threads in this forum, especially for how to make a good study plan and I realised that most of people have received valuable advices. So I decide to post my study plan here and hopefully, I will get some ideas and comments to make my plan more effectively.

I am not native English speaker. Although I completed my bachelor programme in English in European country, I believe my English skill is still at low level, particularly for GMAT preparation. Therefore, I should divide my plan into 2 stages.

The first stage is to review English grammar and general writing and reading strategies. I am going to spend 1 month for this stage (5 hours per day). My weakness is probably vocabulary and understanding business idioms. To solve these problems, I am reading The Economist (very carefully 2 articles per day) and GMAT Fiction now. Could you suggest any other ideas to enlarge my vocabulary?

The second one is to follow 3 months plan which BB suggested. I will apply and adjust something after I take a diagnostic test. To prepare for this stage from now, what I need is a collection of GMAT books which is suitable with my background and my 600-target. Could you recommend me some ideas?

I look forward to receiving all your suggestions.

Have a nice day

What is your starting point to reach the 600 target?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2283

Kudos [?]: 8879 [1] , given: 3670

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2010, 19:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
There are no 700 books or 600 books - there are no recipes. A person may go through MGMAT Books and score 700 or another may go through the same set of books and get 550. It all depends on the effort and time you invest/have available.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2010, 00:55
[quote="

What is your starting point to reach the 600 target?[/quote]

I have not taken any practice test yet. But I supposed my english skills still far away from 600. That's why at the moment, I am working on english grammar first.

:))
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2010, 01:04
bb wrote:
There are no 700 books or 600 books - there are no recipes. A person may go through MGMAT Books and score 700 or another may go through the same set of books and get 550. It all depends on the effort and time you invest/have available.

Totally agree with you. My effort will be the most important factor.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 103

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2010, 05:19
Hi all,

Thank bb for this useful topic for newbie. Thank all of you for your guides and comments.

This is the first time I've heard about GMAT. I must have GMAT score if I want to study in US for fall2010. What a pity because I read your topic after 2 weeks of learning GMAT (OG) without any strategy. I am now re-scheduling learning strategy and I do indeed need your help.

I already completed my studying schedule. I gonna attach it with this reply and could you please take a look at it and give me comment?

Although my score was 460 when I first try GMATprep test 1, I still hope I would get 630 after about 2 months (test date 6/12/2010). In your opnion, with this schedule, is there any hope for me to achieve 630?

Books I intend to study are:
- OG12
- MGMAT SC
- The PowerScore CR
- Kaplan premier 2010
- Princeton: Cracking the GMAT 2009 Edition

Many thanks for your help, please give me a hand!
Attachments

GMAT Schedule_TrangDang.xls [38.5 KiB]
Downloaded 54 times

To download please login or register as a user

Start to fall in love with GMAT <3

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2010, 12:02
Hi All,

Thanks for sharing your ideas and schedules.

Tuntunmeo, your schedule is pretty full :)

I have 85 days before my test. I'll think of it as ~10 weeks and will keep last 2 weeks for unexpected stuff.

BB, if starting with OG12 is not a good idea, what should I use instead ?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 33 [1] , given: 103

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2010, 17:55
This post received
KUDOS
lordspace wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks for sharing your ideas and schedules.

Tuntunmeo, your schedule is pretty full :)

I have 85 days before my test. I'll think of it as ~10 weeks and will keep last 2 weeks for unexpected stuff.

BB, if starting with OG12 is not a good idea, what should I use instead ?

Hi Lordspace,

It's really not a good idea to start with OG12. Because it does waste questions when you don't know about gmat. OG12 is useful to review the math concept first (if you need). Then you could continue with cracking the Gmat. Exercies in that book are at easy/medium level. After that you should work on kaplan. Kaplan Math is quite good. I'm working on kaplan now, ;)

Start to fall in love with GMAT <3

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2010, 08:35
Hi Tuntunmeo,

Thanks for the reply.
A friend of mine recommended me Kaplan's materials.
Are they not good ?
Is there a single book that I can follow ?
There's too many choices ... :roll:

Maybe I should go for Cracking the GMAT with DVD, 2010 Edition ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 44

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2010, 13:37
Thanks for the valuable info, bb !!

"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiam." - Winston Churchill

As vs Like - Check this link : http://www.grammar-quizzes.com/like-as.html.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Haas, Ross, Cornell, LBS, INSEAD, Oxford, IESE/IE
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 117

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2010, 19:08
lordspace wrote:
Hi Tuntunmeo,

Thanks for the reply.
A friend of mine recommended me Kaplan's materials.
Are they not good ?
Is there a single book that I can follow ?
There's too many choices ... :roll:

Maybe I should go for Cracking the GMAT with DVD, 2010 Edition ?

You can buy Kaplan Premier Live online 2010, which includes 1 paper test in the book, 4 CATs on CD and 1 CAT on kaplan site. This book is nice and also covers all of the topics except Probability and Permutation & Combination, which don't often appear on GMAT as many test-takers say but you can get hold of these topics by searching on internet. I am sure you'll find plenty of documents with these topics clearly explained.

"Don't be afraid of the space between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so."
Target=780
http://challengemba.blogspot.com
Kudos??

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2010, 21:00
Hi AtifS,

I checked the reviews and the first one is from BB.
He mentioned that it's the same as Kaplan 2009 premier.
Actually I do have Kaplan 2009 premier.
On the other hand I saw in this forum people mentioning that Kaplan 2009 has a lot of errors.
I have to either continue reading or close my eyes and pick one book :?

Any ideas ?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 8879 [0], given: 3670

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2010, 21:13
Expert's post
lordspace wrote:
Hi AtifS,

I checked the reviews and the first one is from BB.
He mentioned that it's the same as Kaplan 2009 premier.
Actually I do have Kaplan 2009 premier.
On the other hand I saw in this forum people mentioning that Kaplan 2009 has a lot of errors.
I have to either continue reading or close my eyes and pick one book :?

Any ideas ?

Ignore the complainers about the errors. Unless you are a stickler for things like this and perfectionist, this book will help you to get started.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2010, 21:23
Thanks bb for the quick answer.
Ok. so I'll start with Kaplan 2009.
I am also thinking of enrolling in a GMAT class for 5 Sundays where OG 12 will be used.

bb and others, do you think that Kaplan 2009 + OG 12 is enough for scoring 600+ on GMAT ?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2010, 21:27
Expert's post
lordspace wrote:
Thanks bb for the quick answer.
Ok. so I'll start with Kaplan 2009.
I am also thinking of enrolling in a GMAT class for 5 Sundays where OG 12 will be used.

bb and others, do you think that Kaplan 2009 + OG 12 is enough for scoring 600+ on GMAT ?

Probably...
Though you may need to add Kaplan Math Workbook and Kaplan Verbal workbook to get a boost (these are a quicker alternative to MGMAT guides, though weaker)

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2010, 21:36
Thanks bb.
I will start with Kaplan and go from there.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2010, 21:40
Expert's post
lordspace wrote:
Thanks bb.
I will start with Kaplan and go from there.

Sure. Give it a shot. If you hate it, you can always switch to the MGMAT Guides but usually a good starting point to get your feet wet and get over the 600 barrier.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2010, 16:21
bb...

Thanks for the posts. I began my studying with the OG 11. As I completed the first 120 question with an 84%, I reviewed this forum and am now transferring to other materials per the recommendation from test takers.

I have the following guides what order to you recommend starting from:

1. Cracking the GMAT
2. Kaplan GMAT Premier Program 2009 Ed
3. MGMAT Guides
4. OG 11

Please provide your thoughts.
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 8879 [3] , given: 3670

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2010, 22:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
smoke152000 wrote:
bb...

Thanks for the posts. I began my studying with the OG 11. As I completed the first 120 question with an 84%, I reviewed this forum and am now transferring to other materials per the recommendation from test takers.

I have the following guides what order to you recommend starting from:

1. Cracking the GMAT
2. Kaplan GMAT Premier Program 2009 Ed
3. MGMAT Guides
4. OG 11

Please provide your thoughts.

You can just go through the MGMAT Guides along with the OG and that should be plenty. If you want, you can cover the Kaplan book first but throw away the Cracking thing.

Founder of GMAT Club

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey   [#permalink] 05 Apr 2010, 22:16