Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 22:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2010, 06:13
let me tell you this - Of all the GMAT forums out there, there is not even one which can remotely match the gmatclub!
KUDOS to all of you +1

GMAT, here i come...

impressed?...how bout encouraging me with a kudos

cheers :)
just another idiot!

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2010, 06:27
Is there a study plan exclusively for working individuals out there?
I understand that there's no "master plan" that suits all. But still, we could leverage upon the experiences of those who already walked the path.

This could be really helpful. (at least to me :roll: )

GMAT, here i come...

impressed?...how bout encouraging me with a kudos

cheers :)
just another idiot!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2010, 20:16
Hi Everyone! I'm new here :wave:

I had a question that wasn't answered in this thread but if it has, I apologize. I (kind of) took a diagnostic (Princeton Review) and got a 410 Q27 V20. I have about two solid months to study for this exam (maybe less bc of work) and need a score of 700 (I know, I know.. but, shoot for the stars, you know?).

The quant score is a fudge. While I was taking the practice my 11th grade brother was in the room and I asked him for help on some things. I realize I'm very weak at math. My question is, which is the better book for foundations review: Kaplan GMAT Math Workbook or Kaplan GMAT Math Foundations?

I've decided to self-study using the MGMAT books. If anyone has any insight, please let me know!

Starting GMAT Review [strike]May 3rd![/strike] July 22nd.
I want 700+!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 5

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2010, 03:41
Thanks bb. This is one of the best forums for GMAT realted stuff. I wish I had seen the forum earlier before giving my first attempt.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2010, 00:36
hi,
i just logged in the forum as a newbie

the post sure did seem wonderful.....
but it would be great if u could guide me to which book should i start my prep with....

jus a name or two..would be great

thanks a lot
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2010, 15:24
kazifaiz wrote:
hi,

but it would be great if u could guide me to which book should i start my prep with....

thanks a lot

Here is a quick summary:
Buy MGMAT set of 8 guides, OG 12, OG Verbal, and OG Quantitative. Start with the MGMAT guides and practice with OG 12 after each chapter. Once you are done with all 8 MGMAT books, do the 6 CAT's that come with the MGMAT set, and use the OG Verbal and OG Quantitative guides for more practice.

If you find that you need more practice along the way, there are a lot of other good resources in various recommended books threads.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2010, 21:36
BB, thanks for a great starting point.
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2010, 01:27
username123 wrote:
kazifaiz wrote:
hi,

thanks a lot

Here is a quick summary:
Buy MGMAT set of 8 guides, OG 12, OG Verbal, and OG Quantitative. Start with the MGMAT guides and practice with OG 12 after each chapter. Once you are done with all 8 MGMAT books, do the 6 CAT's that come with the MGMAT set, and use the OG Verbal and OG Quantitative guides for more practice.

If you find that you need more practice along the way, there are a lot of other good resources in various recommended books threads.

THANKS A LOT ! :-D
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2010, 12:02
:?
Hi there,
I am worried about the GMAT exam. Can your pls. give me gmat study plan of 15 days as likely to take the test on this May 15.
Pls. give a schedule involving all the sections.
thanks in advance :)

thanks,
SS

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2010, 18:07
Hey BB,
Again, a newbie here about to embark on that all too familiar mission of scoring 700+! I just ordered my MGMAT set and the OG 12. Do the MGMAT guides refer to questions from the separate OG Verbal and Quant guides?

Thanks a mil
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2010, 18:36
Royaldane wrote:
Hey BB,
Again, a newbie here about to embark on that all too familiar mission of scoring 700+! I just ordered my MGMAT set and the OG 12. Do the MGMAT guides refer to questions from the separate OG Verbal and Quant guides?

Thanks a mil

They refer to all--OG 12, OG Verbal, and OG Quant.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2010, 18:43
Thanks Username. I sure wish the OG guides were available as a PDF file or on an E-reader such as the Kindle. I live a traveling lifestyle which forbids me from lugging those huge books around. Does anyone know if they are available electronically?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2134

Kudos [?]: 7289 [0], given: 3618

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2010, 20:36
Expert's post
Royaldane wrote:
Hey BB,

Thanks a mil

The MGMAT books refer to the OG 12 and also Quant OG and Verbal OG for even more additional target practice.
You can get either first or second edition of Quant OG/Verbal OG - both work

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2010, 23:25
Hi,

I have started the journey today.

The first step was taking one GMATPrep Mock Test to get sense of my strength / weakness. I have scored 650 (Q -49 / V -30). I skipped the AWA section.

I am doing full-time job & have around 3 months of time to prepare & crack GMAT. My target is 750+.

The forum is really good & I would like to thank bb for all his efforts in setting up this nice forum.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 01 May 2010, 10:29
Expert's post
mgforce wrote:
Hi,

I have started the journey today.

The first step was taking one GMATPrep Mock Test to get sense of my strength / weakness. I have scored 650 (Q -49 / V -30). I skipped the AWA section.

I am doing full-time job & have around 3 months of time to prepare & crack GMAT. My target is 750+.

The forum is really good & I would like to thank bb for all his efforts in setting up this nice forum.

650 is impressive!!!
I got 540 the first time around (after some studying too).

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 04 May 2010, 22:58
This is a fantastic starting point. Thanks for simplifying GMAT Preparation; it would be rather hard to wrap ones' head around everything without GMATClub and guidance from the many individuals in this community.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 23:51
Expert's post
This study plan has been updated.

Founder of GMAT Club

CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 174

Kudos [?]: 879 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 11 May 2010, 00:13
nice hierarchy BB.

You have stated that we should read during low productive time. What about understanding the content?

should we just keep on reading without understanding deeply what is stated?
I have this question just because I have recently finished one Indian Novel and was able to understand the story even if I wasn't aware of some word meanings. I just skipped and was able to comprehend the story.

But in reality RC will be different. We need to read deeply and understand the intend.

Do we gain this by just reading during our low productive time even if we are not able to concentrate 100%?

On an average how many months are required to become an active reader? this is weird question but still any idea?

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 11 May 2010, 00:18
Expert's post
gurpreetsingh wrote:
nice hierarchy BB.

You have stated that we should read during low productive time. What about understanding the content?

should we just keep on reading without understanding deeply what is stated?
I have this question just because I have recently finished one Indian Novel and was able to understand the story even if I wasn't aware of some word meanings. I just skipped and was able to comprehend the story.

But in reality RC will be different. We need to read deeply and understand the intend.

Do we gain this by just reading during our low productive time even if we are not able to concentrate 100%?

On an average how many months are required to become an active reader? this is weird question but still any idea?

I used this method and spent probably 2-3 months reading books.
You won't be able to get every word, esp if you are on a subway or bus or on a lunch break without a dictionary around. However, you will get the meaning and that's what counts (or maybe not and you will need to look up that word if that's important enough). Your GMAT experience will be pretty similar - you will encounter unfamiliar words and part of the game is how you deal with that. You wont' have a dictionary of course. I think 1-2K pages over 2 months is enough to immerse yourself into the language and train your ear.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 18 May 2010, 02:18
Background:
I am 38 years old and I need to take the GMAT. I have been out of college for over 12 years and only took one Algebra and one Statistics class. I looked at the Math and some of it looked like a foreign language. I do not work in a business setting (firefighter) so I have not really utilized the stuff I learned in college. I have a BS in Counseling. I only need to score a 400 to apply for the job I am interested in.

If I could get a good solid game plan on how to achieve this from the infancy stage I would greatly appreaciate it. I can dedicate 2-3 months of solid time to preparing for the GMAT. I have Peterson's GMAT study guide and that is it!

Thanks!
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey   [#permalink] 18 May 2010, 02:18