Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 16:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 08:07
Thanks BB....for the great plan!

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2132

Kudos [?]: 7254 [0], given: 3618

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 09:13
Expert's post
ski99 wrote:
Background:
I am 38 years old and I need to take the GMAT. I have been out of college for over 12 years and only took one Algebra and one Statistics class. I looked at the Math and some of it looked like a foreign language. I do not work in a business setting (firefighter) so I have not really utilized the stuff I learned in college. I have a BS in Counseling. I only need to score a 400 to apply for the job I am interested in.

If I could get a good solid game plan on how to achieve this from the infancy stage I would greatly appreaciate it. I can dedicate 2-3 months of solid time to preparing for the GMAT. I have Peterson's GMAT study guide and that is it!

Thanks!

Sorry, I have been traveling heavily and missed your post.
Take a practice test and if you are still no there, get a Kaplan Premier book and you should be set.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 09:59
Hi BB - Thanks for the information.. I have spent couple of hours going through various GMAT topics and have found it very helpful. Great Forum.

I had initially started studying for GMAT begining of this year and had scheduled GMAT for July. I will now be postponing it as I wasn't able to dedicate much time to studying and lost motivation (after taking the first Kaplan CAT exam - got a 550).

I'm in an accounting firm and have year long busy season (i work about 65+ hours a week). If I try to map your 3 month plan to my schedule, it would end up being a 6-7 months plan.. Do you think it would be too long of a time?

I have gone through GMAT Premier program and PR1012.
I plan to buy and study the OG 12 and MGMAT Verbal books.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 15

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 16:32
Dear GMAT Club,

PLEASE help. I a little less than 2 months to study for the Gmat, and I NEED at least a 730.

I have already roughly reviewed the Princeton and Barron's Quant sections and know what math topics are tested.

So, my plea for help:

What specific books should I get? What specific game plan should I follow?

I have reviewed the Novice game plan, but still it's too general. I would really appreciate a specific game plan, example, do what book/section first, then do what test, because there are too many very general game plans.

I have about 4 hours each day after work to study, and 10 hours/day on weekends...so I guess average of 40hrs/wk. If I have a specific game plan, I will follow it very studiously.

I got a 1360 on my SAT, 700 math, 660 verbal, and that's 3 years ago, so high school math is still kinda of fresh in my head. My scores aren't very high, but I think 2 months of prep mayyyy cut it? I really don't have more time, because I have to take it by the end of July/Very beginning of August to apply to a MSF program.

Thank you very much in advance. If I get over a 730, and when I do well on wall street, I will donate a lot of money to this club.

Experienced Gmat takers please advise.

Very Sincerely,
Knabi.
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 18:29
Hi All,

I have one query for recommended books and for study plan

W.r.t. recommended books, can anyone plz tell me if books mentioned under below mentioned columns should be followed in below sequence ?

1)Advanced Plan
2)Ultimate Plan
3)Beyond Hardcore Plan

And w.r.t study plan , it 3 months study plan and I just have 2 months. I have done OG 12 and had 70% accuracy in within time limit. Can you please further advise on this.

Quick reply will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
RenukaD

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 18:48
Continue -

I have made a study guide, please advise. I have 2 months and I just want to make sure this plan will prepare me well for 730-750. 50hrs/wk. Please ignore all the EXAM #2s, they're just copy and pastes. Thanks.

Study Plan
1. Take Official GMAT Test online, review all questions 5/29 Sat
2. Review math 5/30 – 6/3
a. Books:
i. Kaplan GMAT Math Workbook for concept review and practice problems
ii. Kaplan GMAT Premier Live Online for concept review and practice problems
iii. Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review for practice problems
iv. Official Guide for the GMAT Review, 12th Edition for practice problems – mostly easy and medium questions
b. Tips:
i. Take notes, make flashcards on important materials
ii. Keep error log
iii. Time: 90seconds/questions
iv. Review all questions wrong thorough. Make notes to avoid in future.
v. Review all guessed answers.
3. Practice Math Questions 6/13 – 6/16
a. Continue to practice problems
b. Search for the hard 10% and practice

4. Review Verbal, continue to practice math problems 6/17 - 6/23
a. Books:
i. Manhattan GMAT’s Sentence Correction Guide for concept review
ii. PowerScore’s Critical Reasoning Bible for concept review
iii. Kaplan GMAT Verbal Workbook for concept review
iv. Official Guide for the GMAT Verbal Review for practice problems
v. Official Guide for the GMAT Review, 12th Edition for practice problems
5. Practice Verbal Questions, continue to practice math 6/23 – 7/1
a. Should be devoting more and more time as material accumulates
6. Build stamina through taking official exams and target weak points JULY
i. Practice Questions, review, and read test tips 7/2 FRI

1. Official GMAT Exam #2 and go over ALL solutions 7/3
• Work on weak math 7/3
• Work on weak verbal 7/4
2. Official GMAT Exam #2 and go over ALL solutions 7/5
• Work on weak math 7/6
• Work on weak verbal 7/7
3. Official GMAT Exam #2 and go over ALL solutions 7/8
• Work on weak math 7/9
• Work on weak verbal 7/10
4. Official GMAT Exam #2 and go over ALL solutions 7/18
• Work on weak math 7/18
• Work on weak verbal 7/19
5. Official GMAT Exam #2 and go over ALL solutions 7/20
• Work on weak math 7/21
• Work on weak verbal 7/22
6. Official GMAT Exam #2 and go over ALL solutions 7/23
• Work on weak math 7/24
• Work on weak verbal 7/25
7. Official GMAT Exam #2 and go over ALL solutions 7/26
• Work on weak math 7/27
• Work on weak verbal 7/28
8. Official GMAT Exam #2 and go over ALL solutions 7/29
• Work on weak math 7/30
• Work on weak verbal 7/31
9. Official GMAT Exam #2 and go over ALL solutions 8/1
• Work on weak math 7/1
• Work on weak verbal 7/2
10. Official GMAT Exam #2 and go over ALL solutions 8/3
• Work on weak math 8/4
• Work on weak verbal 8/5

Tentative test date 8/7
TARGET SCORE: 750
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 30 May 2010, 05:43
Expert's post
Well, what is your score right now?
have you taken a diagnostic?

knabi wrote:
Dear GMAT Club,

PLEASE help. I a little less than 2 months to study for the Gmat, and I NEED at least a 730.

I have already roughly reviewed the Princeton and Barron's Quant sections and know what math topics are tested.

So, my plea for help:

I have reviewed the Novice game plan, but still it's too general. I would really appreciate a specific game plan, example, do what book/section first, then do what test, because there are too many very general game plans.

I have about 4 hours each day after work to study, and 10 hours/day on weekends...so I guess average of 40hrs/wk. If I have a specific game plan, I will follow it very studiously.

I got a 1360 on my SAT, 700 math, 660 verbal, and that's 3 years ago, so high school math is still kinda of fresh in my head. My scores aren't very high, but I think 2 months of prep mayyyy cut it? I really don't have more time, because I have to take it by the end of July/Very beginning of August to apply to a MSF program.

Thank you very much in advance. If I get over a 730, and when I do well on wall street, I will donate a lot of money to this club.

Very Sincerely,
Knabi.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 31 May 2010, 07:32
bb wrote:
Well, what is your score right now?
have you taken a diagnostic?

knabi wrote:
Dear GMAT Club,

So, my plea for help:

Very Sincerely,
Knabi.

No I have not yet. I was going to on Sat, but I got insecure and decided to review more before I take it. I know the gmat tests from the official website are the most legitimate, so I didn't want to waste them. Should I just take a diagnostic from Kaplan's book?
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2010, 20:34
Hello all, first off, thank you BB for posting such useful information. While researching various study materials on Amazon I came across your various reviews and found each one extremely helpful. The six steps and three month study plan you present in the initial post to this thread are exactly what I was looking for, but I would like to run my situation by you and receive any advice you can offer.

I am currently working full time, approximately 30hrs a week. I am also taking a class during Summer Session 1 at the university where I received my undergraduate degree and will be taking another in Summer Session 2.

I am planning on applying to grad school before the November 15th deadline for my school of choice and plan to take the GMAT around the 1st of September.

Based on one of your reviews, here are the materials I considered purchasing:
1. Manhattan GMAT Set of 8 Strategy Guides
2. OG 12th Ed.
3. OG Verbal 2nd Ed.
4. OG Quant 2nd Ed.

I have no prior experience with the GMAT but my goal is score in the 650-700 range. I am diligent in my study habits and have focused my summer to the two classes and studying for this test. As recommended on this site, I plan on taking a practice exam as soon as possible to determine where I stand at this point.

Here a few questions I have:
1. Do I have enough time before the test to properly utilize all of these materials in preparation?
2. If not, what combination would you recommend for someone in my position?
3. Are there any other materials not listed you would advise me to use (I saw another review where you recommended the Manhattan GMAT Test Simulation Booklet)

I have been speaking with numerous people about study materials ranging from books to the Kaplan prep class and feel I have found the best information on this site. I would really appreciate any advice, not only from BB but from anyone else who can provide helpful insight.

Thanks so much

J
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 00:35
Expert's post
VTHokies wrote:
Here a few questions I have:
1. Do I have enough time before the test to properly utilize all of these materials in preparation?
2. If not, what combination would you recommend for someone in my position?
3. Are there any other materials not listed you would advise me to use (I saw another review where you recommended the Manhattan GMAT Test Simulation Booklet)

I have been speaking with numerous people about study materials ranging from books to the Kaplan prep class and feel I have found the best information on this site. I would really appreciate any advice, not only from BB but from anyone else who can provide helpful insight.

Thanks so much

J

Welcome to the Club!
1. You do have enough time; it won't be a walk in the park but absolutely doable in 3 months
2. N/A
3. Test Simulation Booklet is a nice addition; other than that, I can only suggest 2 books in case you need extra help with quant or verbal:

Quant: MGMAT Math Foundations (only if you are rusty)
Verbal: Kaplan Verbal Foundations (if you are international; this book only has Grammar)

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2010, 15:27
Hey Everyone,

I am begining the journey and would like to know what is a good diagnostic to take to determine where I stand? I've read through the this post and the one on exams. I don't want to waste the GMAT prep exams. So what should I use? Kaplan? I bought some manhattan GMAT books from a friend but I am not sure I have access to the test. I'm thinking no. Should I use one of the GMAT club exams as my baramoter instead? Or should I invest in that kaplan premier book?Or purchase the 30 GMAT club tests available? I don't have deep pockets so I'm trying to be smart with any GMAT prep materials. Any advice you all can give would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2010, 21:32
Expert's post
I would suggest using gmat prep for your diagnostic....
we have a free quant diagnostic too but it does not have the same purpose as the GMAT prep. I have a discussion somewhere why it is NOT a bad idea to use gmat prep for your diagnostic.... and it is not :)

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 12:24
Thanks BB. You da man!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT Sloan Fellows (Admit)
WE 1: 5 Yrs - Global Outsoucing Operations
WE 2: 5.5 Yrs - Hospitality
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2010, 06:57
hi,
i have exactly two months to go for my gmat. i have taken classes early this yr so i have a fair idea of the concepts however due to my travel i have not been able to study. but now i am starting. my first diagnostic score without any clue of GMAT was 440 on princeton test. before i started classes i took another gmat prep and my score dropped to 350. the reason being i took it after a really tiring day at work.
since then i havent taken any more tests.
any inputs here will help. i will be spending approx 20 hrs per week.
thx.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2010, 09:26
Expert's post
Welcome - good luck with your prep
I would definitely be methodical and not move past a topic until you have a good understanding of the subject matter. Don't worry about the scores going up and down - they always do that esp if you take tests from different providers.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT Sloan Fellows (Admit)
WE 1: 5 Yrs - Global Outsoucing Operations
WE 2: 5.5 Yrs - Hospitality

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 00:18
bb wrote:
Welcome - good luck with your prep
I would definitely be methodical and not move past a topic until you have a good understanding of the subject matter. Don't worry about the scores going up and down - they always do that esp if you take tests from different providers.

thanks bb. i always find great value in your posts.
just a follow up ques, considering i have just two months would you recommend doing some specific topics first or any order that i should follow.?
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2010, 21:49
hi,
i have to start my preparation but before that i want to take a test so that i can locate my weaknesses.

Which test resembles the exact GMAT closely??
i donwloaded the tests from official gmat website but dont want to waste them.

please suggest
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2010, 03:37
Hi everyone!
I just read through the entire thread.
This is a great forum and a great help for me like
mentioned before for approximately a thousand times ;).

I am a non-native speaker (I am from Germany)
and I have just finished my "Abitur" (which is the German
university entrance diploma and it can be compared with the British A-levels).
The point is, I have no Bachelor degree and I have no
experience in business related things.

In school i had an advanced maths course and an advanced english course.
I was really good in maths and physics (best grade somebody can reach).

Where do I have to start?
My question is if i have a disadvantage because i am not familiar with
university related business stuff?

My target is (of course) to reach 700+!
I have about 12 Month to study. I already read about it and I
think I am going to study 6 month for my first attempt.
During these 12 month I am staying in New York City to make
a voluntary year of social service.
That is quite good to improve my English vocabulary or so.

Thanks in advance!
And keep up the excellent work!

all the best,
amadeus
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2010, 10:57
I have MGMAT RC and SC books. Do I need to take any classroom courses from Kaplan or Manhattan..?? I am pretty new to GMAT (had taken CAT, India one time with decent score)..Please assist me how should I proceed for my GMAT preparations, I am a working profesional.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 14

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2010, 22:28
thanks for such great info!
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey   [#permalink] 04 Jul 2010, 22:28