Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 13:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2010, 00:17
Dear BB, thanks for detailed guide!

I've just started "gmat journey". You gave advice not to use OG at the very beginning.
Repeating MontrealLady 's question - by which books do I have to start?

Thanks.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2010, 09:21
I'm sure this will come off like a shameless plug, but I can't imagine getting a Quant score above 45without using GMAX and Manhattan GMAT's diagnostics. I am not affiliated with either company but used their products to improve from a Q39 to a Q47 in 1 month of study time.

GMAX's videos are great, especially the Quant w/ Aner, amazing time savers and scoring strategies.

Once you've studied the core concepts, I would then use Manhattan GMAT's tests as a diagnostic of your weakest areas. Then review the videos / OG's on problems that relate specifically to those areas.. 6 weeks with these two tools could easily be the difference between RanDom State University and Ivy League.

David S.
Columbia MBA '2012
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stern, Chicago, Duke, UNC, Wharton
WE 1: S&T
WE 2: Project Management
WE 3: Banking
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 35

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 06:11
Hi bb,

I am familiar with the GMAT, i took it 3 years ago and didn´t score well, i´m now studying for it an plan to take it in 2 months.

I started with verbal using the Manhattan gmat books, i already finish RC and CR and i am about to finish SC. I haven´t take any practice test beacause i don´t want to waste them. Still I want to know how my preparation is working. I have the 6 tests that came with the books and the 2 official practice test form mba webpage. The thing is I havent go to any of the math books and I think is where I need more preparation, so I don´t see the point of going to a full test if I know my math is going to be horrible. What is yor take on this? how should I work on practice test? when? should I take just the verbal part of a couple of tests?

Thanks
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stern, Chicago, Duke, UNC, Wharton
WE 1: S&T
WE 2: Project Management
WE 3: Banking

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 35

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2010, 11:51
This post received
KUDOS
Hi bb, i have another question. I already finish all 3 verbal books of Manhattan gmat. I read each book and then went to the OG and solved all questions available for each section, SC, RC, CR. I was correct in 75% - 80% of the questions. Is that usual? or i´m doing something wrong? I´m not a native speaker, and haven´t take any practice test yet. I did took the gmat in 2007 and got 590 (V31, Q41) without any study.

Recommendations? my target score is 680-700
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 41

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2010, 01:18
This post received
KUDOS
Thank you
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2010, 05:24
This post received
KUDOS
This is exactly what I needed to get started. Thank you!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT Sloan Fellows (Admit)
WE 1: 5 Yrs - Global Outsoucing Operations
WE 2: 5.5 Yrs - Hospitality

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 6

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2010, 10:12
This post received
KUDOS
Gacarva wrote:
Hi bb, i have another question. I already finish all 3 verbal books of Manhattan gmat. I read each book and then went to the OG and solved all questions available for each section, SC, RC, CR. I was correct in 75% - 80% of the questions. Is that usual? or i´m doing something wrong? I´m not a native speaker, and haven´t take any practice test yet. I did took the gmat in 2007 and got 590 (V31, Q41) without any study.

Recommendations? my target score is 680-700

i think thats good considering you are not a native speaker.... i am also at 70-75% accuracy after going through verbal manhattan books...i hope it gets better for both of us..
Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT Sloan Fellows (Admit)
WE 1: 5 Yrs - Global Outsoucing Operations
WE 2: 5.5 Yrs - Hospitality

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2010, 10:24
What is the ideal no. of mock tests one should take before giving GMAT and which ones..?? I am planning to give it in 3 weeks time from now. I will have about 2 weeks before I am done with the concepts..
1 KUDOS received
GRE Forum Moderator
Affiliations: PMP certified, IT professional
Schools: CMU, Kelley
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 68 [1] , given: 2

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2010, 11:13
This post received
KUDOS
I have started preparing based on this study plan and book recommendations.
I am glad I came across this thread, else I would have started off with OG.

I have started studying using Princeton Review and Kaplan Premier 2009. Planning to finish in 2 weeks and then start with Manhattan SC.Will start doing OG questions as given in each chapter of SC.
GRE Forum Moderator
Affiliations: PMP certified, IT professional
Schools: CMU, Kelley
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 04:22
Thanks nravi549
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 20:00
Question - how do you increase your "general knowledge" if most of the test prep materials (like the mgmat books I'm using) are strategy books?

Starting GMAT Review [strike]May 3rd![/strike] July 22nd.
I want 700+!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 43

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2010, 00:35
Hi, has anyone tried the Veritas 15 book series? I never see it mentioned in any forum
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2010, 14:08
Hi BB

It is indeed a very well layed down plan. I Plan to take my GMAT by mid sept. I have been studying for about a month's time now. I have finished some of the Quant MGMT Books ( 3 Guides) and did take two sample tests. Scored 510 both times.

Could you please advise me on how should I move further from now on, so that I can accelerate my score exponentially!

I am targeting 700 +.

Cheers!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2010, 06:40
BB, thank you for the excellent advice and congratulations for all the great work and effort you have invested in GMAT club.

You are a true leader, a true mentor, a highly esteemed role model and an inspiration to many. :-D
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2010, 14:04
HI the site looks great. Could you give me some pointers on how to use my materials effectively?

I have:
1. OG 11
2. Kaplan GMAT 800

I was thinking about getting the 8 MGMAT guides, but will they reference the OG12? It looks like I have the top and bottom of your study outline pyramid.

Any idea how the math is compared to statistics in the CFA Level 1 Exam?

I'm in no rush to get it done, but I want to aim high. I was thinking about dedicating Aug-Oct to study and take it in November.

Thanks.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2231

Kudos [?]: 8336 [0], given: 3643

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2010, 12:16
Expert's post
justnumbers wrote:
HI the site looks great. Could you give me some pointers on how to use my materials effectively?

I have:
1. OG 11
2. Kaplan GMAT 800

I was thinking about getting the 8 MGMAT guides, but will they reference the OG12? It looks like I have the top and bottom of your study outline pyramid.

Any idea how the math is compared to statistics in the CFA Level 1 Exam?

I'm in no rush to get it done, but I want to aim high. I was thinking about dedicating Aug-Oct to study and take it in November.

Thanks.

Get the MGMAT guides and use this table for conversion: manhattan-gmat-books-3rd-4th-edition-conversion-tables-91671.html or here is a crazy idea - spend another $20 and get OG 12.

P.S. CFA exam and GMAT don't have much overlap/correlation. Many CFA folks flunk GMAT and vice versa.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2010, 22:25
MontrealLady wrote:
bb wrote:
GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - [work-in-progress - suggestions welcome]

!
Common Mistakes with GMAT preparation
2: Starting with the Official Guide - waste of official GMAT questions
so by which books do I have to start?

Couldn't find answer to this.
I have been using OG questions (did ~20 Qs on each section so far)
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2010, 22:26
Expert's post
gmatapp wrote:

See the plan or go here: top-gmat-prep-books-guides-reviews-comments-77703.html?highlight=ml306

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2010, 22:45
bb wrote:
gmatapp wrote:

See the plan or go here:

However for practice question in quant, only OG is mentioned in this list
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2010, 22:49
Expert's post
Each book comes with practice problems/questions - usually those are enough. You can use OG 12 for additional practice. However, generally OG is on the easier side. Also, time yourself whenever you work on the OG or with any other questions. It is important.

Founder of GMAT Club

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey   [#permalink] 31 Jul 2010, 22:49