Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 03:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT study plan [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2011, 14:39
Excellent study plan. So I got a question. I took prepared for GMAT a about six months ago. I started preparing with Kaplan then moved on to Manhattan. Took the official test twice and did not get the results I wanted.
Then I decided to postpone my grad school plans other reasons. So I took about 6 month break from GMAT.
Now i want to start back up again but don't know where to begin. Should I get another Kaplan book or should I get Princeton review or other guides?
Quantitative section is my primary concern.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1983

Kudos [?]: 6409 [0], given: 3565

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT study plan [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2011, 19:35
Expert's post
cb17 wrote:
Excellent study plan. So I got a question. I took prepared for GMAT a about six months ago. I started preparing with Kaplan then moved on to Manhattan. Took the official test twice and did not get the results I wanted.
Then I decided to postpone my grad school plans other reasons. So I took about 6 month break from GMAT.
Now i want to start back up again but don't know where to begin. Should I get another Kaplan book or should I get Princeton review or other guides?
Quantitative section is my primary concern.

Well, you almost want to see this thread: should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html?fl=menu

You also want to ask yourself why you will be able to get a better score this time or is it time to take a prep class? You have taken the GMAT twice ($500) and need to realistically evaluate your situation/chances/prep - will you be able to do smth that will make a difference. If so, how will it be different? Diff materials will not help - you have pretty much used the best already, so something about your process/prep/approach has to change.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT study plan [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 04:48
I looked at the link (very helpful ) but I still want to retake GMAT because I am not in a 50 point range to where I need to be.
So you suggest I stick to the same material and switching to Princeton Review or other guides will not help.

ps. I took Kaplan courses before taking the official test the second time doesn't really work for me.

Thanks for the advice.
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 20:08
Expert's post
Yes, you have to change the way you are learning. Perhaps you are just accepting information differently. Try creating notes - works for many or something else (such as teaching others, etc) - there is nothing to stop you as long as you have a drive to achieve the score you believe you want/deserve/need. You can absolutely do it.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Intern
Intern

Newbik [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2011, 18:58
Hello, I'm new to the forum turned up here to essay cure and your orderly hearts.
Intern
Intern

Newbik [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2011, 10:01
Hello, I'm new to the forum turned up here to aspire support and your talented hearts.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2011, 17:28
Thanks for the tip, "bb". All the graphs posted showed ~100 hours as optimal for a 700+ score. If 3 months isn't enough, would 4-5 months be better then? I know this sounds like a dumb question, but my study plan is more open-ended -- I was thinking 3 months is enough looking at the data, but now I'm not so sure....

bb wrote:
bipolarbear wrote:
excellent post bb.
One thing I would emphasize is how quickly procrastination time goes by. It is way too easy to begin studying with 3 months left, take a short break, and resume studying with only weeks left. On the one hand, it seems like one month is plenty of time to study for just a single test, but after really starting, you realize that you have a LOT to cover and begin panicking. I know that's the case with me. 2 months ago I thought I had an eternity to study, but a couple of days ago I realized I am screwed and wish I had more time. :(

Thank you!
Great point - the message should be clear: If you only have 3 months left and need 700+ score - you are already late!

= = = = = = = = = =

If you liked my post, please consider a Kudos for me. Thanks!

Manager
Manager
Status: Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Schools: Texas A&M - Mays; PennState - Smeal; Purdue - Krannert; JohnsHopkins - Carey; Vanderbilt - Owen; WakeForest - Babcock; UBC - Sauder
WE 1: Financial Analyst/Financial Management Trainer - BRAC Afghanistan - 13 months
WE 2: Business Proposal Coordinator - MiDS, Inc. (in Kabul, Afghanistan) - 4 Months (did quit the job bcoz of security concerns)
WE 3: Readers For Readers (A Social Impact Generating Organization) - Co-Founder
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 136

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2011, 04:52
@ bb

I am following this study plan from last April 22, 2011. I have attempted my maiden GMAT practice test from GMATPrep2. After that, I have started going through the basics of GMAT using the Kaplan Premier 2011. I started with the Math Basics first. My performance in DS questions is really miserable (only 7 correct out of 20 Qs compared to 44 correct out of 50 Qs in PS).

In this situation, should I continue reading the verbal section from Kaplan Premier 2011 and complete the book OR should I stop reading Kaplan Premier 2011 right here and get the basics of DS from other books/GMATClub.com?

PLEASE I NEED SUGGESTIONS IN THIS REGARD!
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 01 May 2011, 03:22
Hi,

I was wondering, if I complete the kaplan books (math, verbal and premier) and I have an "overall" score of 6 out of 7 correct and 1 out of 7 wrong on math section and 4 out of 5 correct and 1 out of 5 wrong on verbal (calculations based on wrong answers to total etc.). Will it then be possible for me to score 500 or 600? I need at least 500, but 600 would be way better.
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 07 May 2011, 21:27
Hi everyone,

It's my first day on the forums, getting ready to start prep this week. I have noticed in all the prep that the Analytical Writing Assessment Section is pretty much ignored. Is this part not very relevant?
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 12 May 2011, 16:55
What is the best content to purchase to attack the GMAT ? On amazon reviews, you say manhattan and the OG are the best route. But then in other forums you say Kaplan and OG are the best. So which one is it?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 15 May 2011, 23:41
Hi all .. i am new to this forum and GMAT.I went through this whole thread and every1 has listed a sample GMAT test to be taken to know once position before starting preparation.It will be really helpful if any1 can provide sites where i can take free Sample GMAT test.I found out lots of such sites in the net but i want to know which is the best site to take a sample test.
Manager
Manager
Status: Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Schools: Texas A&M - Mays; PennState - Smeal; Purdue - Krannert; JohnsHopkins - Carey; Vanderbilt - Owen; WakeForest - Babcock; UBC - Sauder
WE 1: Financial Analyst/Financial Management Trainer - BRAC Afghanistan - 13 months
WE 2: Business Proposal Coordinator - MiDS, Inc. (in Kabul, Afghanistan) - 4 Months (did quit the job bcoz of security concerns)
WE 3: Readers For Readers (A Social Impact Generating Organization) - Co-Founder
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 136

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 00:50
ramkumartechy wrote:
Hi all .. i am new to this forum and GMAT.I went through this whole thread and every1 has listed a sample GMAT test to be taken to know once position before starting preparation.It will be really helpful if any1 can provide sites where i can take free Sample GMAT test.I found out lots of such sites in the net but i want to know which is the best site to take a sample test.

Hi ramkumartechy,
I think the link below may help you much.
all-gmat-cat-practice-tests-links-prices-reviews-77460.html?fl=menu
However, I suggest not to use all the GMATPrep tests before you are fully acquainted with the strategies to beat, and procedures of GMAT.
Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GPA: 3
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Other)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 6

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 17 May 2011, 04:38
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 1

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 18 May 2011, 17:27
This post received
KUDOS
This is always better to work on Official Guide first. Because those have the questions asked in GMAT, so they will give the idea of pattern and real taste of the GMAT questions.
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 14:48
I am non-English native speaker. I planned 3 month to retake the Gmat. My last score was 520, the problem is verbal, only 19. I always nervous when I take the real verbal section. But when I practice, I can have better score.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 1

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 20:03
This post received
KUDOS
zhouning wrote:
I am non-English native speaker. I planned 3 month to retake the Gmat. My last score was 520, the problem is verbal, only 19. I always nervous when I take the real verbal section. But when I practice, I can have better score.

I guess it doesn't matter whether you are a native english speaker or non-native. If you just complete the study material honestly and follow all the rules of the game, It will not be far from the reach. your score 520 shows that though you have low score on verbal but quant is fair enough, so just have to focus on verbal. I feel you need to keep yourself motivated and practice, practice & practice.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CSCP APICS

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 28 May 2011, 04:39
This post received
KUDOS
thank you

very helpful plan..

it is gona be my first time taking the exam in 8 weeks time and i really don't know how to start but my initial plan as follows:

2 weeks math reveiw

3 weeks verbal review

and 2 weeks test practicing
Manager
Manager
Schools: Belmont University
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 55

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 28 May 2011, 07:38
it is gonna be my first time taking the exam in 8 weeks time and i really don't know how to start but my initial plan as follows:

2 weeks math review

3 weeks verbal review

and 2 weeks test practicing
Shalom!
I was trying to decide if I should work on both verbal and quant simultaneously but after reading your post this morning I will just stay with my initial plan of working on quant first then verbal.
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 29 May 2011, 12:55
Expert's post
Srini88 wrote:
Hi BB,

Is 700 enough for top 10 b-schools.

I just started my preparation 15 days back. I scored 610 in GMAT Prep. Is it a decent start? Pls pour in your thoughts. Thanks bb.. :)

Yes, 700 is plenty for pretty much all schools.
See this thread for more questions on that: should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html?

Founder of GMAT Club

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep   [#permalink] 29 May 2011, 12:55