Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Accounting or Finance
Schools:Indiana University (Kelley Direct) or Penn State (iMBA)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72883 [0]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Thats one thing the MBA application does to you - forces you to address the issues you (or at least I) have been avoiding.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for reply???!, but being cheap-ass as i am(LOL...:)) i found promo-copy of BlackOps, woohooo! Let's se what this baby can do!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hey, this forum is great!! I am about to start my GMAT journey and I must say this forum has been helpful. I do have some questions. Here is the material I have: MGMAT 8 guides, 3 OG's and I am not sure if I should get the Kaplan Premier and start off with it(please let me know). Another question I have is about MGMAT 9 session Prep Course ..is it any good or worth it?

Please review my study plan:
Gmatprep test 1
Kaplan Premier( if recommended)
8 MGMAT guides
3 OG's
practice tests
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
WE:Project Management (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Hey all! first of all happy new year..im half way through on the plan..gmat in 2 months! i just have a quick question..how can i balance both quant and verbal sections during my study time? because i feel i might freak out during full tests as i fear i may feel rusty with the section what i studied first..in this case..quants! pls advise!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello Everyone,

I took GMATPrep1 yesterday and here is the result:
Quant Verbal Total
49 21 :( 580

Above scores are without any preparation. I'm good at quants and apt related questions. My weak area is Verbal.
I've gone through many post in the forum. I'd still request some senior member to help me in making the plan for Verbal. I'm planning to write GMAT in next 2-3 months.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
SigSemyBess wrote:
i need somthing which will help me quickly. who knows what about this?

Is this a joke because of the title? I am having a very hard time understanding what it is you mean.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi!

I'm planning to do my GMAT in April. I'm now preparing myself for everything. I'm preparing myself with Kaplan premiere 2011, Kaplan verbal workbook, Kaplan math workbook and Gmat review 12th edition. Last year, November and December, I followed four math sessions based on GMAT math. Now I have started with the verbal section, I see some problems. The RC part is very difficult for me, because I'm not a native speaker. SC is going well and CR is not good nor bad. Every time after a RC test I'm very disappointed because I scored bad, last time I scored 7 out of 18.

I read about how to improve my English skills, but the only note I have is that I'm not a reader. But if this is the only option, I have to agree with it.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Kenji87 wrote:
Hi!

I'm planning to do my GMAT in April. I'm now preparing myself for everything. I'm preparing myself with Kaplan premiere 2011, Kaplan verbal workbook, Kaplan math workbook and Gmat review 12th edition. Last year, November and December, I followed four math sessions based on GMAT math. Now I have started with the verbal section, I see some problems. The RC part is very difficult for me, because I'm not a native speaker. SC is going well and CR is not good nor bad. Every time after a RC test I'm very disappointed because I scored bad, last time I scored 7 out of 18.

I read about how to improve my English skills, but the only note I have is that I'm not a reader. But if this is the only option, I have to agree with it.

I am not claiming to be an expert in this but I can't seem to know any other way of dealing with RC except by reading.
Try GMAT Fiction and you may enjoy reading actually - many have.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks, BB, for starting this forum, and to all the contributors.

I took the GRE last year, scored pitifully (53rd percentile in Math!), but still applied to three top10 schools this year. I'm WL'd at one and have been rejected at two. I've now decided to take the GMAT and reapply/apply to more schools. I did some prep study for the GMAT two years back, and I think I scored around a 540 in a practice CAT. I forget the breakdown, but I remember the Quant section really kicking my butt.

My question is: I've tried the self-study route, and I know I'm not disciplined enough to do it completely on my own. I also know that classes are typically not effective for me, as I'm not an audio learner (tried a class two years ago). Any suggestions on how to start? The thought of going through an entire Kaplan book alone feels daunting, as does going through all the MGMAT materials. Is there a semi-private class to start? I feel like then I could go through some of the material on my own, then get private tutoring. Thoughts?

Many thanks, everyone. Looking forward to mingling over the next few months.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
crystalsteph looking forward to seeing what you find out.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Stanford, Harvard, Hass, Booth, Stern
Send PM
This is my first post on hwew. Ok i have been thinking of GMAT for a few months, then I began studying vaguley..and only really started to studying in December and brushed up on my foundations. I feel I have covered all the fundamentals , but keep on blanking out sometimes?? why is this happening ? I gave a inital test ( oops I gave teh Official test)..and got only 510..I had given up halfway and really didnt feel like doing it.
I feel comfortable solving tehproblems on book ..but on screen..it feels different.
Ok so If I want to give the GMAT in the 6 weeks..what sort of plans would you suggest ?
I have been through most of the fundamentals..but it just seems like I am forgetting ?
Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I thought I'd post on a math study plan I'm laying out - see if I can get some feedback and maybe help some others if they've got the same (or similar) set of books).

I took a diagnostics test and despite being good at math in HS, I didn't fare so well. So I'm budgeting about 6-7 weeks for my math studying. The books I purchased include Kaplan Premier 2011, the 5 MGMAT quant books and the MGMAT Math Foundations book.

This is my rough draft for a math study plan:

The Kaplan Premier 2011 math skills refresher seemed like an obvious first place to start, and I've finished the arithmetic portion. But I still need more work on some of the basics. So while I'm waiting for the MGMAT math foundations book to come from Amazon I've started the MGMAT number properties book rather than continue on to the algebra and geometry portions of the Kaplan Premier 2011 math refresher section.

So far, the MGMAT Number Properties has been great. It has some overlap with the math refresher portion of Kaplan Premier 2011, but because I needed a little more background there I can live with that.

I haven't decided whether to continue on with the other 4 MGMAT quant books (#2 - fractions, decimals and percents, #3 - equations, inequalities and VIC's, #4 - word translations and #5 geometry) or go through the MGMAT Math Foundations book first when it arrives. I'm finding with the MGMAT number properties book that it covers the basics pretty well while also teaching some of the more complex ideas, so I'm tempted to just continue on with the other 4 MGMAT books.

My concern is that I'm going waste time with overlap if I go through the 4 MGMAT quant books, the MGMAT math foundations and the Kaplan Premier 2011 math refresher section. Any thoughts on that?

I'm tracking which order I study each, and taking notes on how much overlap there is so I'll be happy to post my thoughts when I'm finished for others who may have the same set of books and need some direction on which order to study them in. I'm aiming for late February to wrap up the quant studying.

All input is appreciated!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have set aside a month to study for the GMAT (because of application deadlines), but now I am freaking out!

I have not even taken a diagnostics test to see where I am at. Is a month enough time to do anything?

I take the test March 6th. What should I do?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Hi, I am very much a novice here! One suggestion, would it be possible to grade the mose used study material on a toughness scale of 1 to 10.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
desiaggie1980 wrote:
Hi, I am very much a novice here! One suggestion, would it be possible to grade the mose used study material on a toughness scale of 1 to 10.

yes, see here: top-20-best-gmat-books-on-gmat-club-76582.html
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
jasonedward wrote:
I thought I'd post on a math study plan I'm laying out - see if I can get some feedback and maybe help some others if they've got the same (or similar) set of books).

I took a diagnostics test and despite being good at math in HS, I didn't fare so well. So I'm budgeting about 6-7 weeks for my math studying. The books I purchased include Kaplan Premier 2011, the 5 MGMAT quant books and the MGMAT Math Foundations book.

This is my rough draft for a math study plan:

The Kaplan Premier 2011 math skills refresher seemed like an obvious first place to start, and I've finished the arithmetic portion. But I still need more work on some of the basics. So while I'm waiting for the MGMAT math foundations book to come from Amazon I've started the MGMAT number properties book rather than continue on to the algebra and geometry portions of the Kaplan Premier 2011 math refresher section.

So far, the MGMAT Number Properties has been great. It has some overlap with the math refresher portion of Kaplan Premier 2011, but because I needed a little more background there I can live with that.

I haven't decided whether to continue on with the other 4 MGMAT quant books (#2 - fractions, decimals and percents, #3 - equations, inequalities and VIC's, #4 - word translations and #5 geometry) or go through the MGMAT Math Foundations book first when it arrives. I'm finding with the MGMAT number properties book that it covers the basics pretty well while also teaching some of the more complex ideas, so I'm tempted to just continue on with the other 4 MGMAT books.

My concern is that I'm going waste time with overlap if I go through the 4 MGMAT quant books, the MGMAT math foundations and the Kaplan Premier 2011 math refresher section. Any thoughts on that?

I'm tracking which order I study each, and taking notes on how much overlap there is so I'll be happy to post my thoughts when I'm finished for others who may have the same set of books and need some direction on which order to study them in. I'm aiming for late February to wrap up the quant studying.

All input is appreciated!

Sorry guys, I have been traveling and have not manned this thread very well.
My suggestion would be to drop the Kaplan premier if you don't have time. That's easy. If you find the MGMAT Math Foundations too easy, you can drop that one too.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Strategy and Operations, General Admin, Marketing, International Business
GPA: 3.95
Send PM
I couldnt find MGMAT Math foundations here in my country...so is there any other book which is equally good to start of with and which has good amount of practice questions??

Thanks ahead !
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  16   17   18   19   20   21   22  ...  42