Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 13:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2132

Kudos [?]: 7253 [1] , given: 3618

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2010, 19:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
There are no 700 books or 600 books - there are no recipes. A person may go through MGMAT Books and score 700 or another may go through the same set of books and get 550. It all depends on the effort and time you invest/have available.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 33

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2010, 17:55
This post received
KUDOS
lordspace wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks for sharing your ideas and schedules.

Tuntunmeo, your schedule is pretty full :)

I have 85 days before my test. I'll think of it as ~10 weeks and will keep last 2 weeks for unexpected stuff.

BB, if starting with OG12 is not a good idea, what should I use instead ?

Hi Lordspace,

It's really not a good idea to start with OG12. Because it does waste questions when you don't know about gmat. OG12 is useful to review the math concept first (if you need). Then you could continue with cracking the Gmat. Exercies in that book are at easy/medium level. After that you should work on kaplan. Kaplan Math is quite good. I'm working on kaplan now, ;)

whatever happens, live with smiles

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stern, Chicago, Duke, UNC, Wharton
WE 1: S&T
WE 2: Project Management
WE 3: Banking

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 35

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2010, 11:51
This post received
KUDOS
Hi bb, i have another question. I already finish all 3 verbal books of Manhattan gmat. I read each book and then went to the OG and solved all questions available for each section, SC, RC, CR. I was correct in 75% - 80% of the questions. Is that usual? or i´m doing something wrong? I´m not a native speaker, and haven´t take any practice test yet. I did took the gmat in 2007 and got 590 (V31, Q41) without any study.

Recommendations? my target score is 680-700
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 41

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2010, 01:18
This post received
KUDOS
Thank you
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2010, 05:24
This post received
KUDOS
This is exactly what I needed to get started. Thank you!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT Sloan Fellows (Admit)
WE 1: 5 Yrs - Global Outsoucing Operations
WE 2: 5.5 Yrs - Hospitality

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 6

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2010, 10:12
This post received
KUDOS
Gacarva wrote:
Hi bb, i have another question. I already finish all 3 verbal books of Manhattan gmat. I read each book and then went to the OG and solved all questions available for each section, SC, RC, CR. I was correct in 75% - 80% of the questions. Is that usual? or i´m doing something wrong? I´m not a native speaker, and haven´t take any practice test yet. I did took the gmat in 2007 and got 590 (V31, Q41) without any study.

Recommendations? my target score is 680-700

i think thats good considering you are not a native speaker.... i am also at 70-75% accuracy after going through verbal manhattan books...i hope it gets better for both of us..
1 KUDOS received
GRE Forum Moderator
Affiliations: PMP certified, IT professional
Schools: CMU, Kelley
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 64 [1] , given: 2

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2010, 11:13
This post received
KUDOS
I have started preparing based on this study plan and book recommendations.
I am glad I came across this thread, else I would have started off with OG.

I have started studying using Princeton Review and Kaplan Premier 2009. Planning to finish in 2 weeks and then start with Manhattan SC.Will start doing OG questions as given in each chapter of SC.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 7

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2010, 20:16
This post received
KUDOS
joined this forum recently..plannin to give gmat in aug end..CheriInfinite post is really helpful..gonna follow this strategy
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2010, 15:02
This post received
KUDOS
Question for BB – Should I read the Kaplan Premier book simultaneously with the MGMAT quant series or do I first read the Kaplan Premier book, then start the MGMAT series? I plan to start studying next week and take the GMAT in Dec/Jan. Thanks for the advice. Great forum.
1 KUDOS received
Stanford Thread Master
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 20

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2010, 00:59
This post received
KUDOS
CheriInfinite wrote:
<continued from my previous post>
The Next two days
In the next two days, i plan to step up my preparation. I am planning to take off from work so that i will be able to give intensive preparation. Simply speaking i will be increasing the scale of preparation like what i said for the first five days. this will keep me confident and i will give at least 3 mocks during this period.

The Final Three days
The final three days, i will set aside for revising the concepts. i will go back to the notes i ve made during my preparation, various tips given online in the forums. This will be the relaxation phase for me. even during relaxation, i wanna feel confident that i will crack the examination. With a positive attitude i will carry out the tasks for the day. I will read lots of poems that my friend has selected for me and reflect at the beauty of the language. understanding these poems will take me a long way to understanding RCs.
The final day before the examination, i will go to the beach, chill out, drink lots and lots of water and relax to the max. i will catch up on my fav hindi movie(jaane tu ya jaane na) and english movie ( V for vendatta ) and relax. a short quick look at the notes for half hour will be the only studies i will do before the day.

This is my strategy. Please advise and give more suggestions for the same.

Please add kudos if you like my post

Nice post :). I am writing my Gmat again in another 20 days or so and I can feel the tension / nervousness building in me. I will see how to unwind from work few days before my test :).
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2010, 08:17
This post received
KUDOS
i wish i'd gone through this post before taking my GMAT. Anway, this should come in handy for my second attempt at GMAT.

thanks for the post.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: SigEp

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 9

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 07:50
This post received
KUDOS
bb,

I seem to be having trouble finding any information as far as pacing advice is concerned. Have we had any topics on the issue specifically about what we should target or is this issue something that by nature will fluctuate from member to member?

Disclaimer, I have searched on the forum for this information but I can't seem to find any threads with expert advice.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 10:13
This post received
KUDOS
bb wrote:
Do you mean something like this?
timing-strategies-on-the-gmat-80176.html

Exactly, the notation got the best of me. Thanks
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 1

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 20:23
This post received
KUDOS
Excellent post BB..
I think gmatclub is amazing place to be.. thanks to all the members for creating such an wonderful community
Really loving it
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 20:40
This post received
KUDOS
jcurry wrote:
bb wrote:
Do you mean something like this?
timing-strategies-on-the-gmat-80176.html

Exactly, the notation got the best of me. Thanks

See also, gmat-cat-timing-planner-82513.html

This is basically what I was looking for except more of a 'what do you recommend' instead of allowing myself to make it up.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 13

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 09:57
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,
I have been reading the GMAT study plan suggested by all bb and other members.
Here's my plan, based on several combinations which I think will suit me. Would like to have your insights on this one -

1. Day Zero - Princeton Review CAT1
2. Princeton Review, after completing half of the PR book, CAT2
3. After completion of PR, CAT3
4. OG 11th edition - Here I plan to complete the book in 3 parts, after 1/3rd of the questions in all the sections are exhausted, I will take a test and gauge my progress. I will go on doing this until I am done with the OG.
5. After building on the basics, I'll take upon the MGMAT SC and such other specific material ( like the PowerScore CR, or the Verbal and/or Quant review) to iron out the flaws
6. Take the CAT7
7. Kaplan 800 - Quant & Verbal to solve some of the tougher problems - here I'll use the same strategy as with the OG.
8. GMAT Prep 1 - After exhausting the MGMAT, PR and Gmat Club tests and on completion of the Kaplan 800
9. Towards the end of my prep, I'll go back to the OG, so as to remain fresh with actual questions for my exam.
10. GMAT prep 2.
11. OG
12. Exam day!!!

The reason, I am preparing in this distributed manner, and not sticking to a single section for a month is because I believe after a month of Quant and thereafter a month of Verbal, my Quant would again become dodgy and so on.

I've booked a late december date for the exam, so I've roughly 4 months.
Is this a good enough plan or do I need any improvements?? Your suggestions would be really welcome

Thanks
Rahul
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 5

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2010, 09:50
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks for all your posts.

I am brand new here. I start this long journey to GMAT and I have many questions about How to plan my work.

I started my revisions a week ago. Most of my work will be on the quantative section as I don't have a profile background in engineering. In fact, all this stuff sounds relatively "new" to me, but anyway, I expect at least 680, and why not 700+.

I am 25, currently working as junior key account manager in a MNC (Cadbury, for 2 years ), graduated from a French business school.

I really want to improve my knowledge in arithmetic, algebria and geometry before registering to the test.

How long do you think is needed to be good enough to hope a 700 GMATscore (Q41;V41)???

I'll take time if 4months of work or more, I won't hesitate!!

thank you for your report!

I have not registered to the GMAT yet.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 10

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2010, 08:15
This post received
KUDOS
bb wrote:
bipolarbear wrote:
excellent post bb.
One thing I would emphasize is how quickly procrastination time goes by. It is way too easy to begin studying with 3 months left, take a short break, and resume studying with only weeks left. On the one hand, it seems like one month is plenty of time to study for just a single test, but after really starting, you realize that you have a LOT to cover and begin panicking. I know that's the case with me. 2 months ago I thought I had an eternity to study, but a couple of days ago I realized I am screwed and wish I had more time. :(

Thank you!
Great point - the message should be clear: If you only have 3 months left and need 700+ score - you are already late!

bb just one thing..iv asked u this before also...i badly want a 700+ score..so if i follow the 3 month plan (even though uv mentioned above that its not enuf) its not possible to get the desired score?? need some clarification here..cos iv set a 5 to 6 month study plan..then i started considering the 3 month plan u have suggested..now a lil confused.. help! :roll:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 10

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2010, 09:48
This post received
KUDOS
bb wrote:
Thanks for keeping me honest Jayanth2689!

1. There is no absolute. Your improvement depends on your starting point. Obviously if you are at 650, a month maybe enough to 700
2. The study plan is about 3 months, but the full cycle is closer to 4 months (2 extra weeks to get books and 2 extra weeks to get the exam scheduled and enough courage to schedule the test)

Bottom line - if you have no clue about GMAT and rusty, chances are you need 3-4 months commitment to get a solid score. If you are at a decent place and have an idea about what GMAT is, you can do it much faster. The key is the starting point!

Jayanth2689 wrote:
bipolarbear wrote:
excellent post bb.
One thing I would emphasize is how quickly procrastination time goes by. It is way too easy to begin studying with 3 months left, take a short break, and resume studying with only weeks left. On the one hand, it seems like one month is plenty of time to study for just a single test, but after really starting, you realize that you have a LOT to cover and begin panicking. I know that's the case with me. 2 months ago I thought I had an eternity to study, but a couple of days ago I realized I am screwed and wish I had more time. :(

Thank you!
Great point - the message should be clear: If you only have 3 months left and need 700+ score - you are already late!

bb just one thing..iv asked u this before also...i badly want a 700+ score..so if i follow the 3 month plan (even though uv mentioned above that its not enuf) its not possible to get the desired score?? need some clarification here..cos iv set a 5 to 6 month study plan..then i started considering the 3 month plan u have suggested..now a lil confused.. help! :roll:
[/quote]

lol :-D no problem at all! i have to be honest that iam very much rusty with the concepts! like my post in a different topic..i scored oly a 460 on the GMATPrep Test :oops: but it duznt bog me down cos i havnt started an indepth prep for the test! and when u ask if i know what the GMAT is..its like how Neo asks Morpheus what the Matrix is :lol: Maybe u can tell me how deep the rabbit hole goes!? ergo what the GMAT is..so that next time somebdy asks me what the GMAT is..i can explain to them in the same way as u are going to (i hope) :roll:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Fuqua
WE 1: Research in Neurology
WE 2: MORE research in Neurology
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 55

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2011, 10:05
This post received
KUDOS
TabishJavaid wrote:
Second, Can you, please, suggest how I can be confident about my AWA? I have searched like hell, but i could not find any good link. I don't have a teacher who can highlight my writing mistakes.

Chineseburned's guide, search it on forums, it got me an AWA 6, and I read it three times, 91st percentile :)

Back to the grind, goal 700+

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey   [#permalink] 24 Mar 2011, 10:05