Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 11:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2162

Kudos [?]: 7637 [0], given: 3626

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 20:08
Expert's post
Yes, you have to change the way you are learning. Perhaps you are just accepting information differently. Try creating notes - works for many or something else (such as teaching others, etc) - there is nothing to stop you as long as you have a drive to achieve the score you believe you want/deserve/need. You can absolutely do it.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Newbik [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2011, 18:58
Hello, I'm new to the forum turned up here to essay cure and your orderly hearts.
Intern
Intern

Newbik [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2011, 10:01
Hello, I'm new to the forum turned up here to aspire support and your talented hearts.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2011, 17:28
Thanks for the tip, "bb". All the graphs posted showed ~100 hours as optimal for a 700+ score. If 3 months isn't enough, would 4-5 months be better then? I know this sounds like a dumb question, but my study plan is more open-ended -- I was thinking 3 months is enough looking at the data, but now I'm not so sure....

bb wrote:
bipolarbear wrote:
excellent post bb.
One thing I would emphasize is how quickly procrastination time goes by. It is way too easy to begin studying with 3 months left, take a short break, and resume studying with only weeks left. On the one hand, it seems like one month is plenty of time to study for just a single test, but after really starting, you realize that you have a LOT to cover and begin panicking. I know that's the case with me. 2 months ago I thought I had an eternity to study, but a couple of days ago I realized I am screwed and wish I had more time. :(

Thank you!
Great point - the message should be clear: If you only have 3 months left and need 700+ score - you are already late!

= = = = = = = = = =

If you liked my post, please consider a Kudos for me. Thanks!

Manager
Manager
Status: Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Schools: Texas A&M - Mays; PennState - Smeal; Purdue - Krannert; JohnsHopkins - Carey; Vanderbilt - Owen; WakeForest - Babcock; UBC - Sauder
WE 1: Financial Analyst/Financial Management Trainer - BRAC Afghanistan - 13 months
WE 2: Business Proposal Coordinator - MiDS, Inc. (in Kabul, Afghanistan) - 4 Months (did quit the job bcoz of security concerns)
WE 3: Readers For Readers (A Social Impact Generating Organization) - Co-Founder
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 136

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2011, 04:52
@ bb

I am following this study plan from last April 22, 2011. I have attempted my maiden GMAT practice test from GMATPrep2. After that, I have started going through the basics of GMAT using the Kaplan Premier 2011. I started with the Math Basics first. My performance in DS questions is really miserable (only 7 correct out of 20 Qs compared to 44 correct out of 50 Qs in PS).

In this situation, should I continue reading the verbal section from Kaplan Premier 2011 and complete the book OR should I stop reading Kaplan Premier 2011 right here and get the basics of DS from other books/GMATClub.com?

PLEASE I NEED SUGGESTIONS IN THIS REGARD!
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 01 May 2011, 03:22
Hi,

I was wondering, if I complete the kaplan books (math, verbal and premier) and I have an "overall" score of 6 out of 7 correct and 1 out of 7 wrong on math section and 4 out of 5 correct and 1 out of 5 wrong on verbal (calculations based on wrong answers to total etc.). Will it then be possible for me to score 500 or 600? I need at least 500, but 600 would be way better.
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 07 May 2011, 21:27
Hi everyone,

It's my first day on the forums, getting ready to start prep this week. I have noticed in all the prep that the Analytical Writing Assessment Section is pretty much ignored. Is this part not very relevant?
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 12 May 2011, 16:55
What is the best content to purchase to attack the GMAT ? On amazon reviews, you say manhattan and the OG are the best route. But then in other forums you say Kaplan and OG are the best. So which one is it?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 15 May 2011, 23:41
Hi all .. i am new to this forum and GMAT.I went through this whole thread and every1 has listed a sample GMAT test to be taken to know once position before starting preparation.It will be really helpful if any1 can provide sites where i can take free Sample GMAT test.I found out lots of such sites in the net but i want to know which is the best site to take a sample test.
Manager
Manager
Status: Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Schools: Texas A&M - Mays; PennState - Smeal; Purdue - Krannert; JohnsHopkins - Carey; Vanderbilt - Owen; WakeForest - Babcock; UBC - Sauder
WE 1: Financial Analyst/Financial Management Trainer - BRAC Afghanistan - 13 months
WE 2: Business Proposal Coordinator - MiDS, Inc. (in Kabul, Afghanistan) - 4 Months (did quit the job bcoz of security concerns)
WE 3: Readers For Readers (A Social Impact Generating Organization) - Co-Founder
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 136

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 00:50
ramkumartechy wrote:
Hi all .. i am new to this forum and GMAT.I went through this whole thread and every1 has listed a sample GMAT test to be taken to know once position before starting preparation.It will be really helpful if any1 can provide sites where i can take free Sample GMAT test.I found out lots of such sites in the net but i want to know which is the best site to take a sample test.

Hi ramkumartechy,
I think the link below may help you much.
all-gmat-cat-practice-tests-links-prices-reviews-77460.html?fl=menu
However, I suggest not to use all the GMATPrep tests before you are fully acquainted with the strategies to beat, and procedures of GMAT.
Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GPA: 3
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Other)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 6

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 17 May 2011, 04:38
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 14:48
I am non-English native speaker. I planned 3 month to retake the Gmat. My last score was 520, the problem is verbal, only 19. I always nervous when I take the real verbal section. But when I practice, I can have better score.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Belmont University
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 56

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 28 May 2011, 07:38
it is gonna be my first time taking the exam in 8 weeks time and i really don't know how to start but my initial plan as follows:

2 weeks math review

3 weeks verbal review

and 2 weeks test practicing
Shalom!
I was trying to decide if I should work on both verbal and quant simultaneously but after reading your post this morning I will just stay with my initial plan of working on quant first then verbal.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2162

Kudos [?]: 7637 [0], given: 3626

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 29 May 2011, 12:55
Expert's post
Srini88 wrote:
Hi BB,

Is 700 enough for top 10 b-schools.

I just started my preparation 15 days back. I scored 610 in GMAT Prep. Is it a decent start? Pls pour in your thoughts. Thanks bb.. :)

Yes, 700 is plenty for pretty much all schools.
See this thread for more questions on that: should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 31 May 2011, 21:50
Hello BB,
I'm new to the forum but have taken the GMAT before using Princeton review and coaching. The last time I took the GMAT was over 5 years ago and I must say that I didn't give the classes I took or my studying the time and energy a serious GMAT test taker should. Reading the tips from this forum and hearing how enthusiastic everyone is with their studying has really energized me to go about it the right way this time around....that being said, I started studying on my own in early May in hopes to take the GMAT again by July...My first CAT test was a Kaplan exam where i was surprised (pleasantly) to score a 570...I was feeling good until I took official practice exam from GMAT last weekend and scored a measly 450....SIGH...I'm kind of freaking out, I've decided to push ego aside and start from the scratch, RETURN 2 ZERO, especially after reading the "Build your study plan" post and push back my test date to late August...giving me a little more than 2 months..
My main problem is in Quant...I was hoping to get some help on my proposed study plan. I've picked up the MGMAT Number properties book that everyone seems to be raving about, did the first chapter today along with the questions and I'm very pleased so far, i started with the KAPLAN book in May, but I think MGMAT is better suited for me. I'm planning to follow the chapters in the number properties books, answer the "In Action" problems in the back then move on to the OG problems associated with the chapter...does this sound like a good idea? Or should i move on to the other chapters first and save all the OG questions after I've completed all chapters from the first part? (i.e. the general part of the book). I'm planning to spend the requisite 1 month on Math before brushing up on verbal....Any tips (e.g. other MGMAT books I should get, when to move on to OG questions, when get back to practice tests...etc) would be greatly appreciated...
P.S. - I'm also making sure to use an error log... I felt that tonight felt like a better study session just because the error log really forced me to review.
Would really appreciate your feedback and tips. Looking forward to your response. Thank you sir!

Kind regards,
R2z (return 2 zero)
Intern
Intern
Schools: Harvard Business School, Wharton, Brown, Columbia, Stanford

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2011, 07:25
I am graduating in three years and i just finished my first year in college. I'm not using the terms freshman or sophomore because each year I am somewhere between them. For example, I need 120 semester credits to graduate and already have 47 credits (this would be middle of sophomore year).

Anyways, I am trying to apply to top business schools (top ten bound). I currently attend the Ohio State University. I have a lot of time this summer and I'd like to start prepping for the test because I'd like to go straight to business school. Does that sound possible?

I need help making a plan and I was wondering if anyone could help me.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2011, 15:42
This is awesome, thanks!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2011, 20:05
Hi BB

Thanks for the wonderful preparation guide. Since i m a newbie to the circuit it has helped me to get a plan in place.

I had a few doubts regarding the prep.

1. 1st month -- Maths --> 2nd Month ---> Verbal.. Wont i loose my touch on maths post the 2nd month? Specially due to the lack of practice in the second month. Is a simultaneous approach beneficial?

2. I have the OG 12 edition. I have recently come across the OG verbal review and the OG quant review. How are they different form the 12 edition? I mean do they have anything extra??

TIA

Varun
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2011, 18:20
bb wrote:

!
Common Mistakes with GMAT preparation
1: Rushing to take tests before learning anything - waste of tests
2: Starting with the Official Guide - waste of official GMAT questions
3: Giving GMAT the worst time of the day - studying after a long day
4: Skipping basics and rushing to advanced topics
5: Starting to prepare with poor English proficiency

Hi bb,

I refer to point 2 of the "warning". I just bought the OG and thought that I should start there but wait, I read your advice and apparently, starting at the OG is wrong!? :shock:

So I was wondering where else to start studying for the GMAT when startin at the OG is not advisable...

Thanks! :-D
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 610 Q45 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2011, 06:44
Hi BB,

This probably is my first post in GmatClub,but i have been quite a frequent visitor of this site.I have always found the posts/articles very useful.I have been trying to take Gmat exam since last year June but haven't taken yet.due to lack of focus and lack of determination...Yes i know that's really long time and i am still finding it hard to get into a rhythm.But i have decided i will take gmat by Aug,2011 at any cost.I am going to spend my next 2 months to prepare for gmat with focus and dedication.I am pretty comfortable with quants as i have been a CAT (test which is taken in india to get into IIMS ) though i would need to revist the concepts ...but i am really scared about verbal part...i am really week in CR and SC .Please suggest me a proper approach for my preparation.My Aim is 700+ in Gmat .I can definately spend 4-5 hrs on weekdays and 7-8 hours over weekends. I have got - OG12,Manhattan SC,Powerscore CR,BGT practice questions subscription,ARCO 99 RC and some stufs for quants. Please do let me knw the right approach .

Thanks,
GC
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep   [#permalink] 18 Jun 2011, 06:44