Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:26 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72862 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]
Expert Reply
shawnp wrote:
Hello,

I'm just starting my GMAT preparation, and I had a question about books. I'm planning to purchase the 8 MGMAT books, along with the OG Review, the OG Verbal Review and the OG Quantitative review.

In your study plan description, you say to purchase a strategy guide (i.e. Kaplan premiere). If I purchase the 8 MGMAT books, will these supplement the Kaplan Premiere books? I'm a little confused as to where to start, and what to use to guide me through the process.

Thanks in advance!

-Shawn

You are good without Kaplan Premier.
NO need for it. (I will revise and remove that suggestion - you are not the first one confused)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello at everyone,

First of all I would like to thank you for the whole amount of tips and informations you post in here, that's amazingly helpful, but You have also scared me a bit since I have to sit the test by the end of January 2012 and I haven't started to study yet. I was confident I could achieve a score ranging between 650-700 (I actually don't need a very high score to fulfil the requirements for the courses I'm interested in) with a month preparation but according to what you say I'm already pretty late. The only good point is that I'm a student so I could spend on test preparation even 7-8 hrs per day.

Considering I have 6 weeks to study and I'm starting from a 570 (I've actually spent too much time on the first questions and I had to rush myself on the last questions, randomly guessing the very lasts, so I might be able to score better by simply better managing my time) which I would like to improve of 60-100 points:

-Which book do you think are best for my case?
Skimming your review I've thought about Kaplan premier + official guide but am not sure also because I've red that the last version of Kaplan contains the preparation for Integrated Reasoning part which I don't need so maybe the 2011th version would be better for me?

- How would You plan your time if you were in me? Like 2weeks for each of the three steps?

Thanks in advance for your time

Siccio
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Most folks recommend the MGMAT Books but you can definitely take the route of Kaplan Premier. With 6 weeks you may not have enough time to cover the MGMAT Guides.

Instead you may want to grab the Kaplan Math Workbook and Kaplan Verbal Workbook. Those are quicker to cover (though again in 6 months it will be tight).

P.S. The integrated reasoning section is 6 or 10 pages long - it is not a consideration.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
WE:Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
The problem for me is that in exam mode , I just cannot concentrate on the passages in both RC and CR questions. On other times ,I would read those same passages with ease. This killed my first GMAT attempt ,only 33 in Verbal .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
bb i just love your topic(study plan).Whenever i am off track,i come and see that and i am up & running towards my goal.

Great Job ..:)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 603 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
This is a great post-I was stuck in a rut and this post has given me gr8 ideas-Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
Quick question

I have purchased the Kaplan Premier 2012 Edition and inherited the 8 Manhattan guides from 2007. In addition, I have the 2011 OG and the Verbal and Quant companion.

When devising my study plan should I go through the Kaplan book first in its entirety? Or a better approach is to go through Kaplan and the Manhattan review books concurrently?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
wallstreetbarbie wrote:
Quick question

I have purchased the Kaplan Premier 2012 Edition and inherited the 8 Manhattan guides from 2007. In addition, I have the 2011 OG and the Verbal and Quant companion.

When devising my study plan should I go through the Kaplan book first in its entirety? Or a better approach is to go through Kaplan and the Manhattan review books concurrently?

You can actually drop Kaplan - I like to recommend as it is a faster way to get an overview and then you can do a deep dive. But that's not required really.

P.S. the manhattan GMAT is different from manhattan review..... I know, very confusing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
I feel like I need a bit of a primer so Kaplan might give me a good base as I have forgotten tons of stuff. So sad... Possibly I can go through the book in a month and retake diagnostic and then focus on the other material?

I have the Manhattan GMAT set of 8 Strategy Guides - you had given them a glowing review :)

Glad to see someone else not out on Friday night :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 637 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 2.5
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Hi BB, can you please share some tips on SC.I am struggling like nuts in that area. Gave up trying for now. Located in a remote place, unable to seek one on one professional help. So have to depend on substantial study plan and correct guidance from forum. Referring MGMAT guide, but I guess mostly I am struggling on VERBS part.....surprising, but that is so true, I have messed up my Wren & Martin knowledge of school completely. Seems I am loosing out on the game. Please help me recover.Everyone is requested to share any means of getting grasp of verbs and concrete study plan of SC.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
What about an "accelerate" study plan ? I found many different strategies for studying the GMAT while you have a job. In my case, I am not working and I can focus only on the GMAT preparation but I have only one month. As I am studying only for the GMAT and as I can study 8 or 10 hours a day if needed, I wanted to know if you could give me a plan for a one-month preparation..

Thank you for any suggestion or thought
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [1]
Given Kudos: 916
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V44
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 4: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi martindc,

I suppose this is a frequent situation that one can devote 100%, but for a limited period of time. In fact, you don't have that much time to go through many books, which are suggested here (as the 8 strategy guides of MGMAT). It all depends on your current quant and verbal level. Maybe the best idea is to have a CAT and see where you currently are. Use GMATPrep or PowerPREP (as they both are the most reliable source). Then you can post the result here, and we can give you some book suggestions, which will be rather specialized and will target your problem areas. It will depend on you if you are going to be able to study thethroughout the day for the GMAT, as this can be very tiring. If you are not familiar with the GMAT exam format, you may buy a more general book (as Kaplan Premier) and see some strategies. However, in my opinion this would rather be wasted time. Better have a CAT and tackle directly your weaknesses.

Feel free to ask, if you have any further questions.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
bgpower wrote:
Hi martindc,

I suppose this is a frequent situation that one can devote 100%, but for a limited period of time. In fact, you don't have that much time to go through many books, which are suggested here (as the 8 strategy guides of MGMAT). It all depends on your current quant and verbal level. Maybe the best idea is to have a CAT and see where you currently are. Use GMATPrep or PowerPREP (as they both are the most reliable source). Then you can post the result here, and we can give you some book suggestions, which will be rather specialized and will target your problem areas. It will depend on you if you are going to be able to study thethroughout the day for the GMAT, as this can be very tiring. If you are not familiar with the GMAT exam format, you may buy a more general book (as Kaplan Premier) and see some strategies. However, in my opinion this would rather be wasted time. Better have a CAT and tackle directly your weaknesses.

Feel free to ask, if you have any further questions.

Thank you for your answer, I will do the CAT and then I will post the result. I know that studying the GMAT all the day can be painful but I need to get +700 so I have no choice than studying like a nerd :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 637 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 2.5
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
request all to share some insights on SC study plan
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
bb,

I really like this plan and I thank you for putting this up. I am planning to start with Verbal instead of Quants because on my diagnostic test (GMAT Prep1 ) which I took almost a 1.5months back I scored 570(42Q, 26V). I am starting my preparations now and I want to focus on verbal during holidays as I can devote 6-8 hours of studying and focus on my weak areas. What do you think about this approach?

Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
donjuan wrote:
bb,

I really like this plan and I thank you for putting this up. I am planning to start with Verbal instead of Quants because on my diagnostic test (GMAT Prep1 ) which I took almost a 1.5months back I scored 570(42Q, 26V). I am starting my preparations now and I want to focus on verbal during holidays as I can devote 6-8 hours of studying and focus on my weak areas. What do you think about this approach?

Don't spend more than 2 hours studying without taking and hour break, so spend at most 4 hours with an hour or two hour break.

Ideally, redo your schedule even before the holidays or after so that you can study early in the morning or perhaps take an extra long lunch break (work it out with your boss) so that you can focus on your studies and study as well as you can.

I would also recommend getting the MGMAT Roadmap book if you can.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
bb wrote:

Don't spend more than 2 hours studying without taking and hour break, so spend at most 4 hours with an hour or two hour break.

Ideally, redo your schedule even before the holidays or after so that you can study early in the morning or perhaps take an extra long lunch break (work it out with your boss) so that you can focus on your studies and study as well as you can.

I would also recommend getting the MGMAT Roadmap book if you can.

Thanks bb! I am planning to take my GMAT by end of March. Instead of starting with quants, I decided to start with verbal since it needs more work. My vacation starts tomorrow :-D and I am going to start with MGMAT SC guide and follow it up with CR Bible.

Thanks,
dj
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  20   21   22   23   24   25   26  ...  42