Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Nov 2014, 08:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

work [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2011, 14:02
hi to all gmatclub.comers this is my frst post and thought i would say hi -
thanks speak soon
gazza
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 09:13
Hello,

I am just starting out my GMAT journey. Just finished reading the MGMAT Foundations of GMAT math. I bought all MGMAT guides and the OG 12.

I had a specific question about the study plan. In the first month, I will read all of the MGMAT math guides. In this month, do I ONLY solve questions in these MGMAT math guides? Do I need to wait until I finish all MGMAT math guides to start covering OG math sections?

Thank you so much!

eeydelna
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2375

Kudos [?]: 9940 [1] , given: 3755

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 09:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
eeydelna wrote:
Hello,

I am just starting out my GMAT journey. Just finished reading the MGMAT Foundations of GMAT math. I bought all MGMAT guides and the OG 12.

I had a specific question about the study plan. In the first month, I will read all of the MGMAT math guides. In this month, do I ONLY solve questions in these MGMAT math guides? Do I need to wait until I finish all MGMAT math guides to start covering OG math sections?

Thank you so much!

eeydelna

The MGMAT Guides refer to the OG 12 for additional practice, you definitely want to take advantage of this and work on the questions from the OG (but only the ones that the MGMAT books refer to).

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 09:30
Thank you so much for your response!

In Number Properties guide (4th edition), page 175, it says that "if you complete all the practice problems contained on OG lists in each of the 8 MGMAT strategy books, you will have completed every single question published in the OG". So, that means after I solve all suggested OG questions, there won't be any more OG questions left?

Thank you again for yur help!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 9940 [1] , given: 3755

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 10:58
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
eeydelna wrote:
. So, that means after I solve all suggested OG questions, there won't be any more OG questions left?

Yes, that's correct. That's the point.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 11:16
Thank you again. I was a bit confused at first, because I thought OG questions should be timed similar to a test. So, in month 3, as per the beginer's guide you posted, you only need to be working on 3rd party tests? OG questions are all used up in months 1&2 and are not timed.

Thank you!
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2011, 19:44
Hello,

I'm just starting my GMAT preparation, and I had a question about books. I'm planning to purchase the 8 MGMAT books, along with the OG Review, the OG Verbal Review and the OG Quantitative review.

In your study plan description, you say to purchase a strategy guide (i.e. Kaplan premiere). If I purchase the 8 MGMAT books, will these supplement the Kaplan Premiere books? I'm a little confused as to where to start, and what to use to guide me through the process.

Thanks in advance!

-Shawn
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 9940 [0], given: 3755

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2011, 21:14
Expert's post
eeydelna wrote:
Thank you again. I was a bit confused at first, because I thought OG questions should be timed similar to a test. So, in month 3, as per the beginer's guide you posted, you only need to be working on 3rd party tests? OG questions are all used up in months 1&2 and are not timed.

Thank you!

You should always time your practice (whatever you do in whichever month). Doing exercises without timing yourself is not very useful (unless you are doing some non-GMAT like questions in Kaplan Math Workbook for example)

Founder of GMAT Club

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2011, 21:14
Expert's post
shawnp wrote:
Hello,

I'm just starting my GMAT preparation, and I had a question about books. I'm planning to purchase the 8 MGMAT books, along with the OG Review, the OG Verbal Review and the OG Quantitative review.

In your study plan description, you say to purchase a strategy guide (i.e. Kaplan premiere). If I purchase the 8 MGMAT books, will these supplement the Kaplan Premiere books? I'm a little confused as to where to start, and what to use to guide me through the process.

Thanks in advance!

-Shawn

You are good without Kaplan Premier.
NO need for it. (I will revise and remove that suggestion - you are not the first one confused)

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2011, 11:51
Hello at everyone,

First of all I would like to thank you for the whole amount of tips and informations you post in here, that's amazingly helpful, but You have also scared me a bit since I have to sit the test by the end of January 2012 and I haven't started to study yet. I was confident I could achieve a score ranging between 650-700 (I actually don't need a very high score to fulfil the requirements for the courses I'm interested in) with a month preparation but according to what you say I'm already pretty late. The only good point is that I'm a student so I could spend on test preparation even 7-8 hrs per day.

Considering I have 6 weeks to study and I'm starting from a 570 (I've actually spent too much time on the first questions and I had to rush myself on the last questions, randomly guessing the very lasts, so I might be able to score better by simply better managing my time) which I would like to improve of 60-100 points:

-Which book do you think are best for my case?
Skimming your review I've thought about Kaplan premier + official guide but am not sure also because I've red that the last version of Kaplan contains the preparation for Integrated Reasoning part which I don't need so maybe the 2011th version would be better for me?

- How would You plan your time if you were in me? Like 2weeks for each of the three steps?

Thanks in advance for your time

Siccio
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2011, 21:19
Expert's post
Most folks recommend the MGMAT Books but you can definitely take the route of Kaplan Premier. With 6 weeks you may not have enough time to cover the MGMAT Guides.

Instead you may want to grab the Kaplan Math Workbook and Kaplan Verbal Workbook. Those are quicker to cover (though again in 6 months it will be tight).

P.S. The integrated reasoning section is 6 or 10 pages long - it is not a consideration.

Founder of GMAT Club

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
WE: Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 11

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2011, 07:54
The problem for me is that in exam mode , I just cannot concentrate on the passages in both RC and CR questions. On other times ,I would read those same passages with ease. This killed my first GMAT attempt ,only 33 in Verbal .

If Electricity comes from Electrons , Does Morality come from Morons ??

If you find my post useful ... then please give me kudos ......:)

h(n) defined as product of even integers from 2 to n
Number N divided by D leaves remainder R
Ultimate list of MBA scholarships for international applicants

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2011, 08:01
Thanks for this post
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 11

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 04:07
bb i just love your topic(study plan).Whenever i am off track,i come and see that and i am up & running towards my goal.

Great Job ..:)

Regards,
Rajesh
Helping hands are anytime better than praying hearts

Kudos ???!@#$$ !!! I just love them ;)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2011, 00:05
This is a great post-I was stuck in a rut and this post has given me gr8 ideas-Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton '15, CBS '15
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 10

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 17:25
Quick question

I have purchased the Kaplan Premier 2012 Edition and inherited the 8 Manhattan guides from 2007. In addition, I have the 2011 OG and the Verbal and Quant companion.

When devising my study plan should I go through the Kaplan book first in its entirety? Or a better approach is to go through Kaplan and the Manhattan review books concurrently?

Reward wisdom with kudos

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 18:00
Expert's post
wallstreetbarbie wrote:
Quick question

I have purchased the Kaplan Premier 2012 Edition and inherited the 8 Manhattan guides from 2007. In addition, I have the 2011 OG and the Verbal and Quant companion.

When devising my study plan should I go through the Kaplan book first in its entirety? Or a better approach is to go through Kaplan and the Manhattan review books concurrently?

You can actually drop Kaplan - I like to recommend as it is a faster way to get an overview and then you can do a deep dive. But that's not required really.

P.S. the manhattan GMAT is different from manhattan review..... I know, very confusing.

Founder of GMAT Club

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton '15, CBS '15
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 10

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 18:08
I feel like I need a bit of a primer so Kaplan might give me a good base as I have forgotten tons of stuff. So sad... Possibly I can go through the book in a month and retake diagnostic and then focus on the other material?

I have the Manhattan GMAT set of 8 Strategy Guides - you had given them a glowing review :)

Glad to see someone else not out on Friday night :)

Reward wisdom with kudos

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 59

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2011, 08:16
Hi BB, can you please share some tips on SC.I am struggling like nuts in that area. Gave up trying for now. Located in a remote place, unable to seek one on one professional help. So have to depend on substantial study plan and correct guidance from forum. Referring MGMAT guide, but I guess mostly I am struggling on VERBS part.....surprising, but that is so true, I have messed up my Wren & Martin knowledge of school completely. Seems I am loosing out on the game. Please help me recover.Everyone is requested to share any means of getting grasp of verbs and concrete study plan of SC.

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 03:21
What about an "accelerate" study plan ? I found many different strategies for studying the GMAT while you have a job. In my case, I am not working and I can focus only on the GMAT preparation but I have only one month. As I am studying only for the GMAT and as I can study 8 or 10 hours a day if needed, I wanted to know if you could give me a plan for a one-month preparation..

Thank you for any suggestion or thought
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep   [#permalink] 06 Dec 2011, 03:21