Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 21:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 3.7
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 06:09
This post received
KUDOS
Hi martindc,

I suppose this is a frequent situation that one can devote 100%, but for a limited period of time. In fact, you don't have that much time to go through many books, which are suggested here (as the 8 strategy guides of MGMAT). It all depends on your current quant and verbal level. Maybe the best idea is to have a CAT and see where you currently are. Use GMATPrep or PowerPREP (as they both are the most reliable source). Then you can post the result here, and we can give you some book suggestions, which will be rather specialized and will target your problem areas. It will depend on you if you are going to be able to study thethroughout the day for the GMAT, as this can be very tiring. If you are not familiar with the GMAT exam format, you may buy a more general book (as Kaplan Premier) and see some strategies. However, in my opinion this would rather be wasted time. Better have a CAT and tackle directly your weaknesses.

Feel free to ask, if you have any further questions.

Thank you very much for reading this post till the end! Kudos?

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 06:36
bgpower wrote:
Hi martindc,

I suppose this is a frequent situation that one can devote 100%, but for a limited period of time. In fact, you don't have that much time to go through many books, which are suggested here (as the 8 strategy guides of MGMAT). It all depends on your current quant and verbal level. Maybe the best idea is to have a CAT and see where you currently are. Use GMATPrep or PowerPREP (as they both are the most reliable source). Then you can post the result here, and we can give you some book suggestions, which will be rather specialized and will target your problem areas. It will depend on you if you are going to be able to study thethroughout the day for the GMAT, as this can be very tiring. If you are not familiar with the GMAT exam format, you may buy a more general book (as Kaplan Premier) and see some strategies. However, in my opinion this would rather be wasted time. Better have a CAT and tackle directly your weaknesses.

Feel free to ask, if you have any further questions.

Thank you for your answer, I will do the CAT and then I will post the result. I know that studying the GMAT all the day can be painful but I need to get +700 so I have no choice than studying like a nerd :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 59

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 09:10
request all to share some insights on SC study plan

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Intern
Intern
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 17:05
bb,

I really like this plan and I thank you for putting this up. I am planning to start with Verbal instead of Quants because on my diagnostic test (GMAT Prep1 ) which I took almost a 1.5months back I scored 570(42Q, 26V). I am starting my preparations now and I want to focus on verbal during holidays as I can devote 6-8 hours of studying and focus on my weak areas. What do you think about this approach?

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2273

Kudos [?]: 8783 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 18:56
Expert's post
donjuan wrote:
bb,

I really like this plan and I thank you for putting this up. I am planning to start with Verbal instead of Quants because on my diagnostic test (GMAT Prep1 ) which I took almost a 1.5months back I scored 570(42Q, 26V). I am starting my preparations now and I want to focus on verbal during holidays as I can devote 6-8 hours of studying and focus on my weak areas. What do you think about this approach?

Don't spend more than 2 hours studying without taking and hour break, so spend at most 4 hours with an hour or two hour break.

Ideally, redo your schedule even before the holidays or after so that you can study early in the morning or perhaps take an extra long lunch break (work it out with your boss) so that you can focus on your studies and study as well as you can.

I would also recommend getting the MGMAT Roadmap book if you can.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 19:51
bb wrote:

Don't spend more than 2 hours studying without taking and hour break, so spend at most 4 hours with an hour or two hour break.

Ideally, redo your schedule even before the holidays or after so that you can study early in the morning or perhaps take an extra long lunch break (work it out with your boss) so that you can focus on your studies and study as well as you can.

I would also recommend getting the MGMAT Roadmap book if you can.

Thanks bb! I am planning to take my GMAT by end of March. Instead of starting with quants, I decided to start with verbal since it needs more work. My vacation starts tomorrow :-D and I am going to start with MGMAT SC guide and follow it up with CR Bible.

Thanks,
dj
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2011, 00:26
Hi all,

I am planning to write the GMAT after June 2012. Is there an updated version of the Study Plan that factors in the Integrated Reasoning Section?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2011, 14:58
Hi Everyone,

I plan on taking my GMAT early February and have been studying on and off since roughly July. I am using Veritas prep and Kaplan to study for the test. Since I am on winter break ( taking GMAT for Grad School to get masters, not MBA ) I have been studying everyday for roughly 4-6 hours. Is it realistic for me to get 650 based on 440 GMAT prep test result? I plan on following this study plan although I will try to take a test every week or so just to get experience and get use to taking a computer adaptive test. Thanks everyone, if you have advice please let me know because it would really help me out a lot.

- Chris W.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2011, 22:28
Does GMAT club test provide full length test ?
I have seen quant and verbal are different .
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2011, 22:32
Expert's post
neha2785 wrote:
Does GMAT club test provide full length test ?
I have seen quant and verbal are different .

The GMAT Club tests are split into 2 separate sections. There are 25 math and 6 verbal tests.
The main strength is really the quant - they are really good. Verbal, on the other hand, are more of a compliment for the quant and are not as legendary and I would say not the reason to get access to the tests. You really want them for the quant.

Best Regards,
BB.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2011, 22:33
Expert's post
stons wrote:
Hi all,

I am planning to write the GMAT after June 2012. Is there an updated version of the Study Plan that factors in the Integrated Reasoning Section?

There is not much available about Integrated Reasoning at this time - a few sample questions have just been released a week or two ago and that's it.

OG 13 is coming out in April - I would not worry about it until then (when it will be clear what the section is and at least one company comes out with a guide on addressing this section) - none are available at this time.

Founder of GMAT Club

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2011, 22:35
Expert's post
AzWildcat1 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I plan on taking my GMAT early February and have been studying on and off since roughly July. I am using Veritas prep and Kaplan to study for the test. Since I am on winter break ( taking GMAT for Grad School to get masters, not MBA ) I have been studying everyday for roughly 4-6 hours. Is it realistic for me to get 650 based on 440 GMAT prep test result? I plan on following this study plan although I will try to take a test every week or so just to get experience and get use to taking a computer adaptive test. Thanks everyone, if you have advice please let me know because it would really help me out a lot.

- Chris W.

This means a 200+ point improvement.... it is possible but tough and takes a lot of studying and review of the basics.
I would get MGMAT math foundations and MGMAT Verbal foundations to brush up the basics. It is not clear if one of the sections is lacking more than the other but that's my advice with the info I can get.

Founder of GMAT Club

Manager
Manager
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 12

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 19:24
I'm planning on starting my GMAT prep within the next few days. For study materials, I just ordered the 8 MGMAT books, OG12, and Verbal and Quant guides.

I want to take a practice exam to get an idea of where I am "cold" and as a way to gauge my progress moving forward.

Should I take one of the GMAT prep practice tests? The OG12 Diagnostic exam? an MGMAT Exam?

Anyone have any advice? I realize practice exams are going to be invaluable as I get closer to the end of my preparation, but I definitely want an idea of how far I'm going to have to go.

I'm shooting for final score of 700+, I'm (tentatively) planning to take the GMAT on March 17.. that would give me a chance to retake the test up to two more times before the changes are implemented in June.

Thanks in advance!

Please give KUDOS if this post was helpful!

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2012, 19:12
okay wrote:
I'm planning on starting my GMAT prep within the next few days. For study materials, I just ordered the 8 MGMAT books, OG12, and Verbal and Quant guides.

I want to take a practice exam to get an idea of where I am "cold" and as a way to gauge my progress moving forward.

Should I take one of the GMAT prep practice tests? The OG12 Diagnostic exam? an MGMAT Exam?

Anyone have any advice? I realize practice exams are going to be invaluable as I get closer to the end of my preparation, but I definitely want an idea of how far I'm going to have to go.

I'm shooting for final score of 700+, I'm (tentatively) planning to take the GMAT on March 17.. that would give me a chance to retake the test up to two more times before the changes are implemented in June.

Thanks in advance!

You can take any test. If I were you I would have preferred GMAT Prep over others. Also, you will not remember the questions when you take it next time (which would be after 1-2months atleast).
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 11:35
Anyone recommend any plans for the MGMAT series? Tried doing a search but the engine picked up all results for "GMAT", not "MGMAT".

Thanks.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 15:41
Thanks for your amazing post!

Please help me structure my studying and evaluate my goal!

I have followed this forum for a while but now I am becoming active. I started studying for the gmat only two days ago. My plan is to take the test the first week in April. My dream score is 720, however I am not sure it is realistic. The material I am using is all manhattan gmat books except from foundations.

A friend suggested I take a mock test to see where I'm at but I didn't see that as a priority, instead I went through my old high school math books to recover my very limited math skills (I'm a social science graduate and math has never been "my thing"). However, I am very motivated to learn everything I need to learn to score around 720. I started with the book called Number properties, it is very good but some concepts I had to google to understand them properly (LCM & GCF!!!). Currently I am going through the book and when I feel i'm lacking basic knowledge I do some exercises in my high school book and then go back. The reason I am telling you these details is because I would appreciate input on whether it is realistic for me to aim for a 720 in only three months when my math is this bad. I did the questions in the Numbers book and managed to solve most of them but it feels like it's taking way too much time and that I don't have a firm technique and that I could solve tasks in more efficient ways. You are saying that going through the 12th edition is a waste of questions so is there any other forum where I can get practice questions? Quant review only has a couple of questions on the Divisibility and primes chapter and i'd like to practice more.

My English proficiency is not so good either, I am not a native speaker but have lived in English speaking countries for a while. Is there anything you would recommend except from reading a novel (reading crime and punishment now).

I am very thankful for any input!
/F
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 8783 [1] , given: 3666

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 15:44
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
jazzman wrote:
Anyone recommend any plans for the MGMAT series? Tried doing a search but the engine picked up all results for "GMAT", not "MGMAT".

Thanks.

Just open the book 1 and continue until you reach the end of book 8 - pretty straightforward....

Founder of GMAT Club

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 15:46
Expert's post
foundations wrote:
Thanks for your amazing post!

Please help me structure my studying and evaluate my goal!

I have followed this forum for a while but now I am becoming active. I started studying for the gmat only two days ago. My plan is to take the test the first week in April. My dream score is 720, however I am not sure it is realistic. The material I am using is all manhattan gmat books except from foundations.

A friend suggested I take a mock test to see where I'm at but I didn't see that as a priority, instead I went through my old high school math books to recover my very limited math skills (I'm a social science graduate and math has never been "my thing"). However, I am very motivated to learn everything I need to learn to score around 720. I started with the book called Number properties, it is very good but some concepts I had to google to understand them properly (LCM & GCF!!!). Currently I am going through the book and when I feel i'm lacking basic knowledge I do some exercises in my high school book and then go back. The reason I am telling you these details is because I would appreciate input on whether it is realistic for me to aim for a 720 in only three months when my math is this bad. I did the questions in the Numbers book and managed to solve most of them but it feels like it's taking way too much time and that I don't have a firm technique and that I could solve tasks in more efficient ways. You are saying that going through the 12th edition is a waste of questions so is there any other forum where I can get practice questions? Quant review only has a couple of questions on the Divisibility and primes chapter and i'd like to practice more.

My English proficiency is not so good either, I am not a native speaker but have lived in English speaking countries for a while. Is there anything you would recommend except from reading a novel (reading crime and punishment now).

I am very thankful for any input!
/F

You should take a practice test and see how much you get. If you score less than 500, then it is going to be very tough to get 720.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 570 Q45 V23
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 19:39
Hi BB,
I took GMAT Jan 6 after relying on Kaplan 100% for 3 months. Kaplan was great to get me to 650 but after that did more damage to my time and test.

Brief GMAT background
Oct 4 Kaplan CAT 1 530
Nov 6 Kaplan CAT 9 650

Dec 27 MGMAT CAT 1 620 Q43 V32
--
Dec 30 MGMAT CAT 4 640 Q43 V35

Jan 4 GMAT Prep 620 Q44 V30
Jan 6 REAL GMAT 570 Q45 V23

My main problem is speed vs accuracy. As Kaplan tutor suggested I tried to speed up in the actual test and bombed big time. So I am back to sqr1. I studied 3 months 3 hrs weekdays and 8 hrs weekends and all thanksgiving and christmas breaks 8hrs/day. I am realizing Thanksgiving to Jan 6 was not really an effective study as there was no increase in the score. As I read this gmatclub since Sunday I am kicking myself trying to figure out why I didn't fidn this forum in Oct or end of November. I see the main points are
Error log
Attention to strategy
Back to concepts with MGMAT serires with Sackmann + new CATs
Verbal/Math OG guides supplemented to the concept books
MGMAT Adv Quant

My questions are:
My main issue is Verbal and I will focus on Verbal while trying to get to the 50 on Quant. DO you see this is as a viable approach? I am comfortably at 36 range but getting faster and getting to 40 will be challeging since I get the 36 by guessing one RC psg and about 7 questions. I will break down with the MGMAT books and practice with the Verbal OG version 2.
I have 4 weeks. Is this reasonably sufficient time for me to get to 700+?
I finished 80% of OG12. Is there a value resolving them. What else could be a good substitute for practice.
I burned through 9 Kaplan, 4 MGMAT, 2 GMAT Prep CATs. What is the next best set Veritas, PR, or 800Score?
Major problem after 3 months is I am pretty much puked out from the last 3 months of work,GMAT,work,GMAT, no social life or gym (I am a regular). But I still feel like I don't have any time for anything other than work, GMAT, work,GMAT. I really don't even want to see a question right now but I will get myself going this weekend.
Any suggestions...?!

I am also writing these so others can learn from these mistakes...
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.9
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2012, 15:16
Does anyone have the link to the Manhattan GMAT's table with the different edition problem number conversion? I couldn't find this on their website.

I currently have the new 4th edition of the Manhattan GMAT prep books, but I have the older 11th edition of the GMAT Official Guide book. I need help converting all the OG 12th problems listing to OG 11th problems in the MGMAT 4th edition. I would greatly appreciate the help in finding this conversion table.

Thanks,
Hanzi15
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep   [#permalink] 04 Feb 2012, 15:16