Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 03:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2231

Kudos [?]: 8352 [1] , given: 3645

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 29 May 2012, 07:44
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
shreenath wrote:
hi Shouvik,

This might sound silly but i am a newbie to Gmat..and that is the reason i am asking...

What exactly does the OG13 contain.

Only questions and explanations or does it contain concepts also?

Also is the Og13 separate for verbal and quant or does it include both?

It contains only questions (official questions - the main value of the book) and it has both Verbal and Quant questions.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2012, 03:14
Hey!

I am just getting started on 'Mission GMAT' and your forum is a blessing for newbies like me! I have a couple of quick questions that I was hoping you could help me with:

1 - I have been out of touch with Math for a long time so I want to start from the basics. I have the 'Kaplan Math Workbook - Sixth Edition' from 2008. Should I buy the latest edition which according to my research is the Seventh Edition from 2011 or stick to the old one I have? If you suggest buying the new one, please let me know if there is a another book that you recommend instead of Kaplan.

2 - I have 'The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 12th Edition' from 2009. Is it OK if I stick to this one or do you recommend I buy the latest, 13th edition?

Thanks so much!
J
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 08-16-2012
WE: Corporate Finance (Advertising and PR)

Kudos [?]: 8 [2] , given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 04:50
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

I think that the sixth edition is good enough to cover the basics. The princeton review is also a good alternative to cover math basics.

Regarding the OG there are few differences between the two books. However, the 13th edition includes the integrated reasoning part and this point is very important..

You'll find more relevant informations here : best-gmat-math-prep-books-reviews-recommendations-77291.html
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 06:30
great post! thanks!
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 11:00
That helps...Thanks so much!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2012, 02:38
Hi,

Is it enough to have OG12 + the integrated reasoning guide(which was sold till june 5th) provided by GMAC?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2012, 06:39
Guys/Girls, is it really worth taking a test right before even starting to study or looking at earlier questions. I know that it will give you an picture of what i need to study, but is it it worth to waste one?

And to be honest im also very scared of getting a score around 460, beacuse that will indicate that i wont able to reach 700+ in a very long time.....
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2012, 21:54
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Guys,

I gave my GMAT in Jan this year and have loads of material which I am reluctant to give away to the 'radiwala'. Kindly let me know if any gmat aspirants in Mumbai are open to buying the material at a cost that is almost free.

Following is the list:
1. GMAT Kaplan premier program (hardcopy)
2. GMAT Review (official guide - 11th edn) (hardcopy)
3. Mitul Gada notes (Maths + Verbal)
4. Mitul Gada cd - all the possible simulation tests
5. Sentence correction compilation (my notes - they are awesome! + all d possible tricks mentioned on all forums)
6. The GMAT Knewton verbal pdfs
7. The Gmat Knewton pad + marker - the one actually used in the exam! (just to get a hang before yr final prep)
8. Miscellaneous practice notes - none of it have d answers marked

Kindly reply me here or mail me at cfa_l3_complaint@yahoo.in.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 24

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2012, 21:54
Hi MBAAAAAAAA ,

Please check your PM. I have sent you an message. Thanks

Karthik

Every search begins with beginner's luck. And every search ends with the victor's being severely tested.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2012, 19:28
Hey guys,

I've just started off my GMAT journey. Took the GMATPrep and scored a dismal 530 (Q41, V23). Couldn't complete the verbal section; ended up leaving 7 questions. I thought I was smart :P ....I was expecting a 600 at least. A bit shocked with the result. I'm thinking of giving this 1-1.5 month's time. Any suggestions will definitely help.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 8352 [1] , given: 3645

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2012, 15:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I think you are in a good spot if you have about 3 months. I have started with 540 and ended with 750. You can definitely get there.

Would recommend getting the MGMAT Roadmap for a collection of the GMAT wisdom about simple and little things (how to structure your prep, day, etc).

Other than that, you can follow this plan or modify it to your liking.

P.S. You have a good quant score for the first test. If you have not had left those verbal questions unfinished, you could have gotten 570 or even 600 - that may be the first useful tip for you!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2012, 17:04
Thanks a lot for the reply.

Well, I took a diagnostic test (GMATPrep 2011 version) around a year back just to see where I stand...scored 560 (Q47, V21) on that one... back then, I faced the same issue....struggled with Verbal and couldn't complete the test, although I can't recollect the number of questions left unanswered.....I postponed my GMAT plan and focused on work...This year I've decided to take the exam and I find myself starting off with a poorer score, especially quant :( ....Now I understand why people suggest to take the exam before you grow too old :P

I'm a bit confused about the right material to use.....had a look at the 2012 book list on GMATClub.....Do you recommend using most of the books mentioned out there? Also, any strong recommendations? Was thinking of the following:

1. Official guides (13th, and the quant and verbal one)
2. Kaplan Premier 2013 and Kaplan 800
3. Manhattan complete set of 10 (8 strategy guides + roadmap + IR book)

Wanted to know if any updates to Kaplan 800 and the Official guides to quant and verbal are expected, given that the GMAT has undergone a change....The existing editions for these are 2-3 years old....I discovered that Manhattan has an updated set (5th version) referring to the OG 13th edition...I'll go for the updated one...just don't want to end up purchasing the older versions of the books mentioned above...

Also, I remember someone mentioning about Powerscore CR instead of Manhattan CR, should I give that a try?
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2012, 17:13
And thanks for the useful tip....that has definitely increased my confidence!

Must mention that you have a really good score, given your diagnostic score....Let's hope I replicate the same! :)
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2012, 14:47
Hey BB..

I am planning to take GMAT in 8-9 weeks time from now.
And below details explain where I stand now.

I started my GMAT prep 4 weeks back. Being an engineer , Quant is my fav area and I am very much comfortable with it.
However CR and RC are my pain areas.
Took my 1st CAT test(manhattan) a week back ans scored : 670 ( 48QA and 33 VA).
Toom my 2nd CAT test(manhattan) today and scored :690 (48QA and 35 VA)

The books I am using:
Maths: Manhattan (all 5 quants) + Maths Bible NOVA
Quant: Manhattan(RC , SC , CR) , powerscore CR and Aristotle SC and RC.
OG 12 , GMAT Verbal + Quant review.

750+ is the target here as I represent the most common test taker.(Computer science engineer from India with an average GPA + 4 years of IT exp (1 yr in Europe))

Need suggestion on the following points:

1. What I need to do to take my Quant to 50 +.
2. What I need to do t improve my RC.
3. Can you please suggesst any overall verbal plans.
4. Is 8-9 weeks of prep from now good enough ?
5. I am planning on 2 CATs per week (total 15 + ) , is that a good stratergy or you think it is going to prove fatal.
6. 2-3 hours per day is max I can put into my prep. So do I need to focus on any other material and cut down few I am currently using.

Thanks a ton in advance!
Cheers
Rakesh
Intern
Intern
Schools: Boston College, MIT, BU, IIM, UCLA, Babson, Brown

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 10

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 13:11
Thanks. Good study plan.. I will try and stick with it
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 10-20-2012
GPA: 2.89

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2012, 09:17
I just want to say thanks for creating this forum and study plan. Honestly, I have been planning to take the GMAT for a long time and I just had no idea where to begin. I have three months until I take the test. I sure hope that's plenty of time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 59

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 16:26
Hey all, I am reviving my prep. With the new format of the exam, can anyone suggest what are the latest editions that I refer to. had lost touch with prep for a while, will really appreciate opinions.

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 8352 [0], given: 3645

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 18:59
Expert's post
sdas wrote:
Hey all, I am reviving my prep. With the new format of the exam, can anyone suggest what are the latest editions that I refer to. had lost touch with prep for a while, will really appreciate opinions.

It is going to be tough to restart - think of a bad dream - you remember only the worst part and only vaguely.
Would recommend to take a look at some good "foundations" books and would recommend at least getting the MGMAT Roadmap. Very decent (and cheap) book to get you started.

Also MGMAT Math Foundations and MGMAT Verbal Foundations are quite good in building up confidence and providing a good coverage of basics.

I would recommend to start there.
On your question specifically, MGMAT just released a set of the new books a few months back - the 5th edition of the MGMAT Guides. Those are pretty good!

Best Regards,
BB.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2012, 16:17
rakesh38 wrote:
Hey BB..

I am planning to take GMAT in 8-9 weeks time from now.
And below details explain where I stand now.

I started my GMAT prep 4 weeks back. Being an engineer , Quant is my fav area and I am very much comfortable with it.
However CR and RC are my pain areas.
Took my 1st CAT test(manhattan) a week back ans scored : 670 ( 48QA and 33 VA).
Toom my 2nd CAT test(manhattan) today and scored :690 (48QA and 35 VA)

The books I am using:
Maths: Manhattan (all 5 quants) + Maths Bible NOVA
Quant: Manhattan(RC , SC , CR) , powerscore CR and Aristotle SC and RC.
OG 12 , GMAT Verbal + Quant review.

750+ is the target here as I represent the most common test taker.(Computer science engineer from India with an average GPA + 4 years of IT exp (1 yr in Europe))

Need suggestion on the following points:

1. What I need to do to take my Quant to 50 +.
2. What I need to do t improve my RC.
3. Can you please suggesst any overall verbal plans.
4. Is 8-9 weeks of prep from now good enough ?
5. I am planning on 2 CATs per week (total 15 + ) , is that a good stratergy or you think it is going to prove fatal.
6. 2-3 hours per day is max I can put into my prep. So do I need to focus on any other material and cut down few I am currently using.

Thanks a ton in advance!
Cheers
Rakesh

HI BB,

I dont know what I have to do to get your attention.
I need your guidance . I am left with 8 more weeks of prep.

Took my 3rd test today.
Manhattan = 720 ( 50 QA , 36 VA) .

I need to take my VA to 40 +.

Please review my study plans and suugest some improvments for a 750+ score.
I seek for your special guidance on verbal.

Thanks a ton.
Cheers!
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 11:29
Hello All,

First off I'm very nervous!! I haven't sat for a competitive exam in 10+ years. I'm 32, me and my wife just had a baby (1 year old), I have a good job in a medium size company but I've started to feel my career progression has stopped and I need to do study further to move ahead both financially and for moving to a better place (something more cosmopolitan than the rusty old town I'm stuck in).

I took my first GMAT prep test the day before yesterday without preparation and I got only 590 (Q38, V34). I'm kind of worried about this score. When I took GRE about 12 years ago, I was in the 99th percentile, but has age gotten to me so soon?? I have committed several silly mistakes in problem solving, couldn't organize data clearly to solve problems in quant, all solutions to sentence correction looks correct to me... the list is endless. RC was the only area I did well without mistakes, I pretty much sucked in all other areas.

My test date is exactly 3 months from now on Oct 24. Can I ever dream of getting 750+?

I have OG13 to start with, what else do I need? Any good recommendations for reading materials SC, PS, CR, DS? Online question banks? CAT tests? I've attached a question bank for RC that I found online today if anybody is interested.

Thanks a lot for your help!! I'll try to post my progress or otherwise regularly....
Attachments

117 GMAT RC Passages.pdf [1.62 MiB]
Downloaded 107 times

To download please login or register as a user

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2012, 11:29