Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:43 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Status:My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]
Hello All,

I have been averaging between 480-500 in my practice test scores. Scoring about 35 in Quant. My problems are:
A) I tend to forget the math concepts I learn very quickly. For example, If I complete Number Thoery, Arithmetic, Algebra and Word Problems and then move on to Verbal, when I come back to Quant, I forget all that I had studied and have to begin afresh. This has happened 2-3 times and now I am frustrated with this cycle.

How should I approach my studies, my gmat is in 6 weeks. And I am hoping to score over 670.

Thanks for your help.

Please reply!!
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Great discussion. Often at Economist GMAT Tutor, we get questions about how often and for how long students should study.

While each student’s needs are different, the Economist GMAT Tutor course generally takes between 80-120 hours to complete, which is our recommendation for the number of hours a student should study. This allows you enough time to answer most of our 5,000 practice questions, as well as take a few sim tests and tutor sessions.

In terms of how many hours per day to study, you should look at how much time you have available versus the hours recommended above. We suggest that you study for at least 1.5 hours per weekday and 4+ hours on weekend days (assuming you have a traditional work-week schedule). You should also pay attention to your personal needs. For example, if you find that 4 hours of study is too much and you are not absorbing information, then reduce the number of hours you study at one time. It would be counterproductive to continue studying if you’re too exhausted.

If you want to check out a full article on this subject, visit our blog: https://gmat.economist.com/blog/test-tak ... study-gmat

I am also happy to answer any questions you may have!

Regards,

Elizabeth
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
My two cents:

I started some light studying at the beginning of this year (January 2013) and really kicked it into overdrive for the last two months before my test date on September 24th. Here's what I learned and what I wish I had done earlier.

1) In my experience, I found Peterson's guide (maroon and gold) to be almost useless, aside from the math review section.

2) Similarly, I found the Manhattan GMAT Verbal books (IR, SC, CR, Essay) absolutely invaluable. Although I suspect their strategies might be a little too rigid and inflexible, their thought process is truly remarkable. I found that underlining specific sections & paragraphs, then rereading those same highlighted sections every night to be very helpful to me.

3) The official GMAT problems are great practice, even more so when you force yourself to fight the clock.

4) What I wish I had done differently: learn the material, but remember that you're learning the material to be able to apply it to the test under timed conditions. I think I spent too much time focusing on mastering the material rather than practicing taking the test. I truly believe that if you first study any rusty material, then practice timed problems every day for several weeks in a row, you'll be just fine.

Best of luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
sultan: islam
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 10-15-2015
GPA: 4
Send PM
i am new in this forum. i plan to study GMAT and cherish to obtain 700 plus. i need help from GMAT experts have given the test. as GMAT novice from where should i start and which books you could recommend. besides, i am not good at math.

looking forward to getting worthy suggestion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Question: You say start taking full length tests of for the math portion after the first month? If you have the Manhattan CATs should you use these, or should you save them for the end? Also, how do you see your math score without taking the full exam? Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi BB,

I have just restarted my GMAT prep after a break of 1 year (since i last appeared for GMAT ..scored 580). I dont seem to get ahead in that i dont have a study plan which seem to help my cause. I have the whole gamut of Manhattan guides (1-8) and OG 12 and 13 along with other training provider GMAT material. What i am interested in knowing is

1. Whats the best way to improve on my verbal (non native English speaker)
2. Also on Quant (scored 42 in previous attempt)
2. Is "Gmat Pill" study provider a good option to go with considering the material i am currently referring to (listed above).

Also if you can suggest what should be the best study approach in my case as i am planning to devote 3 months before i retake the exam again. I am targeting 750+ score and willing to spend 4 hours every day (along with my day job). Would really appreciate your help with this.

Regards,
Sudip
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Rotman '17
GMAT 1: 610 Q40 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 3.3
WE:Account Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Hello all,

I am new to the forum and would like to hear your opinions on my particular case. I'm from Colombia, with 5 years of experience in sales positions in the IT/Telecom industry.

I just registered for the GMAT: April 15th. I've been studying for over a month and have done several CATs with a good improvement in scores, from a dissapointing 440 (Q29, V21) in my first practice test to 600 (Q45, V28) in the last one. Nevermind, I'm still behind my target score of above 650. My trend has always been higher quant scores than verbal. I'm planning the following:

- Focusing on MGMAT verbal guides, daily basis
- 2 hours of daily practice questions (OG, GMAT Club question banks)
- 1 CAT every saturday (a total of 9 before the real GMAT)

I would appreciate any suggestions on my study plan, given that I have 2 months left.

Best regards,

Rafael
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
i have read all your tips and steps you share ... well its great and i probably change my decision about planning about previouse planning..!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
I have to take the GMAT test after a month as thats the deadline date for application submission. There are so many books and material on GMAT, how should I go about it and which books would you recommend? I am targeting score around 650.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72870 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Expert Reply
faisalkakar wrote:
I have to take the GMAT test after a month as thats the deadline date for application submission. There are so many books and material on GMAT, how should I go about it and which books would you recommend? I am targeting score around 650.

If you are confused with this post, get a Kaplan Premier and that should be enough for 650.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Kudos
I recommend you to take a video course or on demand solution. They include recorded video lessons covering each and every concept of the GMAT.

Optimus Prep has a 60+ hour on demand video course for only $299. This course was especially developed for students out of school for years. It includes also five practice tests and you can prepare easily from home following your own schedule.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hey guys,

I'm considering taking the GMAT in approximately 2 months.
I'm thinking of coupling the 13th Official GMAT review guide with the MGMAT guides (5th edition).

No real previous experience in this field... would appreciate any tips/suggestions!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
We can create an individual study plan for you after you took a GMAT diagnostic test. This is free and non binding. If you take our product you will get a score improvement guarantee. That is a fair deal!
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi faisalkakar,

If you're looking for a prep course, I recommend you take the time to figure out which course is right for you. Many courses offer score guarantees and practice tests. What sets them apart are the teaching methods. Are you a person who likes using books to study or do you prefer a computer-based course? Do you wish to travel to your prep classes in a classroom or would you prefer to have one on one Skype sessions with expert GMAT tutors? Determining what aspects of a course you might value the most will help you select the right course for you.

Most courses offer some sort of free trial, so sign up for a couple and see what you like best.

Regards,

Elizabeth
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Hi I'm new here and have a question.

I can only study 2 weeks (not full time) until the test and have never done it before. How should I study? I dont need a specific point, but I want to do as well as a can with 2 weeks study time.

I have the Manhattan book but dont think I have time to read all of it.

Please give your opinion!

Sorry for my bad english :)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72870 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
FBSK wrote:

I can only study 2 weeks (not full time) until the test and have never done it before. How should I study? I dont need a specific point, but I want to do as well as a can with 2 weeks study time.

No idea.... study the areas that can improve your score the most....
P.S. There is no such thing as "The Manhattan Book" so whatever you have and whatever you plan to do, I would double-check your plan.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
FBSK wrote:

No idea.... study the areas that can improve your score the most....
P.S. There is no such thing as "The Manhattan Book" so whatever you have and whatever you plan to do, I would double-check your plan.

Think it's called Manhattan GMAT Guide.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  27   28   29   30   31   32   33  ...  42