Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 16:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2325

Kudos [?]: 9454 [0], given: 3702

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2009, 21:23
Expert's post
There are plenty of tests - you can take any non-GMAT Prep test and do only the Math/Verbal section - you only need 2-3 of them, max.

In terms of OG 12, you can do it in parallel if using the MGMAT books or if not, you can also use gmat-club-guide-to-the-gmat-official-guide-12th-ed-85956.html to find target practice problems or you are welcome to leave it for after the practice.

Make sure you use an Error Log/GMAT Timer to stay on track.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 8

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2009, 23:25
bb wrote:
There are plenty of tests - you can take any non-GMAT Prep test and do only the Math/Verbal section - you only need 2-3 of them, max.

In terms of OG 12, you can do it in parallel if using the MGMAT books or if not, you can also use gmat-club-guide-to-the-gmat-official-guide-12th-ed-85956.html to find target practice problems or you are welcome to leave it for after the practice.

Thank you for the quick response and links. I already have my error log set up. Regarding GMAT timer, I am under the impression that you should use it for tests only. When you are doing practice problems (MGMAT, OG, Kaplan), it would be better to try think through and solve it rather than being unsure and guess due to time constraints. Is that a correct understanding or should I develop the habit of solving everything under 2 min even in practice problems?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2009, 07:41
lonewolf wrote:
bb wrote:

Thank you for the quick response and links. I already have my error log set up. Regarding GMAT timer, I am under the impression that you should use it for tests only. When you are doing practice problems (MGMAT, OG, Kaplan), it would be better to try think through and solve it rather than being unsure and guess due to time constraints. Is that a correct understanding or should I develop the habit of solving everything under 2 min even in practice problems?

This is the way I'm doing because I'm still in the process of learning.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2009, 07:56
Expert's post
Quote:

That would be a BIG mistake. Kind of like invading Russia in winter after training in the Caribbean.
Instead of taking 2 mins per question, would suggest you set a general timeline (20 mins if you have 10 questions or 30 mins if you have 15) and work with that.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 13:33
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

I have covered Kaplan Quants, GMAT Quant Prep ,Module II, Verbal Prep ,MGMAT CR,SC and Power Bible CR and SC books in the past couple of months. I had breaks while doing my studies. In sense I studied for 3 days in a week and had a break for one or two days . As my work was very demanding. Whenever I found sometime I used it efficiently.

I have booked my exam in the first week of Jan 10.
Currently I am scoring in the borders of 600, but my target score is 700+.

For the next couple of weeks I am planning to take section wise test available in GMAT club (I have already purchased those and have taken couple of test. My scores are not satisfactory in couple of them) and full length test during weekends.

I have gone through the post 650 to 700+ and trying all possible ways to jump from 600 to 700. Will my above approach work out to score 700+ ?. I need someone's guidance and perfect plan for me for the next one month. I am ready to work hard.

Please help me in this regard. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Tania
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2009, 08:53
Expert's post
It may, depending on your Math/Verbal splits right now.
Make sure you follow all of the MGMAT/PowerScore strategies you picked up exactly as they are written and keep an error log - that will be your indicator of performance. Save any questions you are unsure about or made a mistake in. Then re-take them later (solve or possibly answer without answer choices visible if you remember them).

Founder of GMAT Club

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2009, 09:29
Thnx a lot for your guidance. I have downloaded the error logs from GMAT club
and will start to keep a track of my common mistakes going forward.

Do you have any others inputs for free online reference material for RC improvement as that is my weak area ?

Regards,
Tania
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2009, 09:41
Expert's post
tania wrote:
Thnx a lot for your guidance. I have downloaded the error logs from GMAT club
and will start to keep a track of my common mistakes going forward.

Do you have any others inputs for free online reference material for RC improvement as that is my weak area ?

Regards,
Tania

My main suggestion for RC is GMAT Fiction as well as this post: gmat-club-s-reading-comprehension-strategy-guide-83101.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 26

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2009, 09:00
I like the part about "Step 4: Figure out your weaknesses". I was working on my weaknesses which is SC. I brought a book, and worked on SC. I had improved 40 points by doing that.... take my weakest part and bring it up to par.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2009, 14:36
Hi BB, Hi everyone

I just joined a few days ago, after reading your reviews of the Official Guide for GMAT on Amazon. I’ve just found this Plan for GMAT novices and I think is extremely useful to me.

I’m not a native speaker and actually I’m taking six months off in order to improve my English profiency in a English-speaker country (stuying in a English Language School). I would like to start to study for GMAT at the same time so I can take advantage I’m a student again.

I’m planing to take GMAT in 4 months and I already bought some of the books you’ve recommended:
1. OG12
2. OG for GMAT Verbal Review 2nd Ed.
3. OG for GMAT Quantitative Review 2nd Ed.
4. Kaplan GMAT 2010 Premiere Live Online
5. MGMAT Prep Guides - CR
6. MGMAT Prep Guides - RC
7. MGMAT Prep Guides – SC
8. Ace the GMAT (my personal decision based on Amazon reviews).

I’m planning to stick to your study plan for novices. However, I was wondering, why there is no reference to neither OG12 nor OG Verbal nor OG Grammar in the novices guide. Do you recommend study from OG12 or OG Verbal or OG Grammar? If you do, When is the best moment to study from these books? Do you recommend to study before Kaplan Premiere or after?

In addition, What do you think about Ace the GMAT? Do you think is a good GMAT prep Book?.

Finally, I think this site is amazing, any suggestions to take advantage of it at maximum?, Thank you so much for your help.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2009, 20:14
great info on this string - I am just starting with my gmat study plan, and I'd like to write my GMAT within a month. I'm not currently working so I'll have time to focus and maybe condense the 3 month plan. I haven't seen much posted about tighter timelines and any experiences people have had going full-time studying on this.

The reason I want to do this is to complete my GMAT before the next round of apps are due (early/mid January) here in Canada. According to another posting I read it takes upto 20 days to for scores to reach b-schools. Those who have done apps, do you know if it's necessary for schools to have the scores in hand with the apps, or if writing it prior to the due date suffices.

Any suggestions/comments would be much appreciated.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2009, 08:40
Hey bb

I like the 3 month study plan you posted. Only thing is I have 2 months and a half to prepare for the test. I was thinking Going first and second month as outlined in your study plan, and go two weeks for the last portion. Just want to know what do you think regarding this.

Also, how many hours per day would you recommend (Weekends also?). I got the time since I am not currently working, however I do not want to burn out before te test. My first real GMAT test was terrible, Quant section very bad.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 3

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2009, 09:02
This post received
KUDOS
orafiq wrote:
great info on this string - I am just starting with my gmat study plan, and I'd like to write my GMAT within a month. I'm not currently working so I'll have time to focus and maybe condense the 3 month plan. I haven't seen much posted about tighter timelines and any experiences people have had going full-time studying on this.

The reason I want to do this is to complete my GMAT before the next round of apps are due (early/mid January) here in Canada. According to another posting I read it takes upto 20 days to for scores to reach b-schools. Those who have done apps, do you know if it's necessary for schools to have the scores in hand with the apps, or if writing it prior to the due date suffices.

Any suggestions/comments would be much appreciated.

I am pretty sure for application purposes you can just write them in. After admission is made then they would corroborate with the official scores.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2009, 18:38
Expert's post
You can make it in 2.5 months.
The thought is that you can dedicate 1-2 hrs a day or (1.5) but quality hours. That's not all you should be spending, however. Read books if you need to improve Verbal. If you don't, then solve some math riddles/questions when you have downtime or late at night.

quintbet wrote:
Hey bb

I like the 3 month study plan you posted. Only thing is I have 2 months and a half to prepare for the test. I was thinking Going first and second month as outlined in your study plan, and go two weeks for the last portion. Just want to know what do you think regarding this.

Also, how many hours per day would you recommend (Weekends also?). I got the time since I am not currently working, however I do not want to burn out before te test. My first real GMAT test was terrible, Quant section very bad.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 06:09
Hello,

I just start this week my preparation for the GMAT, I have never take the test.

I ordered the following books and should get them early january 2010:

--> GMAT Verbal Review: The Official Guide
--> The Official Guide for GMAT Review
--> GMAT Quantitative Review

Should I purchase any other book to complete this list? If yes which one(s)?

I must admit I am a bit confused by all the book peope are using.

I am aiming to pass the test on end of march and would like to score 750.

Thanks in advance!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 26

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 11:45
I am using Manhattan GMAT Sentence Correction. It's a really good book if you want to learn the rules for SC. It has good rating from members in our club too. http://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-verbal-prep-books-reviews-recommendations-78094.html
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mellon, USC, MIT, UCLA, NSCU
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 10

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2009, 20:08
This question is for gmatclub moderators. When do you think someone should get private tutoring? I'm asking because it's something I'm considering. I recognize that there are many things that I can teach myself and learn from the forums but I also see things that I probably shouldn't work on alone, so I think.

Reward wisdom with kudos. ;)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 18:21
hi, I am a new member of GMAT club. I did my BBA in 2005 then I got busy with my little daughter.Now I am planning to get admitted to a good business school. I did sit for GMAT once without any preparation. I got 470. 22in QT and 39 in VB. I totally ran out of time while answering the quantitative section. 10 questions where left when I has 2 minutes so I randomly picked answers for them and I guess I got all of them wrong.

Can you help me with some advice on how to manage the time properly.

Naurin
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2009, 00:16
bb wrote:
bipolarbear wrote:
excellent post bb.
One thing I would emphasize is how quickly procrastination time goes by. It is way too easy to begin studying with 3 months left, take a short break, and resume studying with only weeks left. On the one hand, it seems like one month is plenty of time to study for just a single test, but after really starting, you realize that you have a LOT to cover and begin panicking. I know that's the case with me. 2 months ago I thought I had an eternity to study, but a couple of days ago I realized I am screwed and wish I had more time. :(

Thank you!
Great point - the message should be clear: If you only have 3 months left and need 700+ score - you are already late!

Oh dear, I do need to increase an embarrassing score in the low 500s to 700+ because I'm planning to get into a Top 20 school. I decided to embark on that 3 month study plan until i came across this post and you're saying 3 months is already too late?. How else and how much time should I devote to preparing then? I have about 10 more months before 2011 Round 1 applications. My schedule in the early months would involve strengthening my personal profile, researching on schools and working full time, on top of GMAT preparation. I plan to use the last 2 months for writing essays.

I know it is arrogant of me to think so, but I initially thought that the GMAT was easy, and merely a summary of what you've learn in college. I ignorantly based that assumption on what I've heard from my friends. One of my friends scored a 760 on his first try without any preparation work. He advised me not too study too much so I won't bog my mind down with too much info. Also I started off with Princeton Review (which i only just found out is not a very useful guide from this forum). After reading what is on here, I begin to recognize that I have been doing all the wrong things (including wasting GMATPrep Tests and OG SC and PS questions, and listening to the wrong, although well-intended, advice.

bb, you mentioned in your study plan that those plans are for a 50 to 150 points increase. But as you can see in my case, I need to increase my score by at least 200+. Any guidance or reference to the right resources after making the wrong moves would be greatly appreciated.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2009, 01:57
This post received
KUDOS
Hello Fellows!

I would like to share my study plan with you. It is in MS Excell, so you may use it for yourself as well (in case it is a good one :) )
And of course your comments are welcome.

I have spent around 1 month studying the GMAT Club and want to say it is great! Based on this I've build my plan, made some shopping on Amazon (some books are still coming) and hope to avoid mistakes other fellows did and kindly shared their experience.

During my preparation I will also share my experience and report any success/mistakes I will make

Regards,
Krivoy Rog
Attachments

File comment: GMAT Study Timing
GMAT Preparation Plan.xls [21.5 KiB]
Downloaded 464 times

To download please login or register as a user

Re: GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - Start your GMAT Journey   [#permalink] 23 Dec 2009, 01:57