Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 13:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2014, 23:46
I have to take the GMAT test after a month as thats the deadline date for application submission. There are so many books and material on GMAT, how should I go about it and which books would you recommend? I am targeting score around 650.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2324

Kudos [?]: 9437 [0], given: 3701

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2014, 00:41
Expert's post
faisalkakar wrote:
I have to take the GMAT test after a month as thats the deadline date for application submission. There are so many books and material on GMAT, how should I go about it and which books would you recommend? I am targeting score around 650.

If you are confused with this post, get a Kaplan Premier and that should be enough for 650.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Optimus Prep Instructor
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 2

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2014, 02:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I recommend you to take a video course or on demand solution. They include recorded video lessons covering each and every concept of the GMAT.

Optimus Prep has a 60+ hour on demand video course for only $299. This course was especially developed for students out of school for years. It includes also five practice tests and you can prepare easily from home following your own schedule.

Best regards,

Artem Morgunov I Founder of Optimus Prep I morgunov@optimus-prep.com

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2014, 19:33
This post received
KUDOS
Hey guys,

I'm considering taking the GMAT in approximately 2 months.
I'm thinking of coupling the 13th Official GMAT review guide with the MGMAT guides (5th edition).

No real previous experience in this field... would appreciate any tips/suggestions!
Expert Post
Optimus Prep Instructor

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2014, 05:27
Expert's post
We can create an individual study plan for you after you took a GMAT diagnostic test. This is free and non binding. If you take our product you will get a score improvement guarantee. That is a fair deal!

Best regards,

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 53 [1] , given: 3

Premium Member
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2014, 06:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi faisalkakar,

If you're looking for a prep course, I recommend you take the time to figure out which course is right for you. Many courses offer score guarantees and practice tests. What sets them apart are the teaching methods. Are you a person who likes using books to study or do you prefer a computer-based course? Do you wish to travel to your prep classes in a classroom or would you prefer to have one on one Skype sessions with expert GMAT tutors? Determining what aspects of a course you might value the most will help you select the right course for you.

Most courses offer some sort of free trial, so sign up for a couple and see what you like best.

Regards,

Elizabeth

http://econgm.at/GCfreetrial
For free GMAT practice questions, follow us @econgmat_qs
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 1

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2014, 13:06
This post received
KUDOS
Hi I'm new here and have a question.

I can only study 2 weeks (not full time) until the test and have never done it before. How should I study? I dont need a specific point, but I want to do as well as a can with 2 weeks study time.

I have the Manhattan book but dont think I have time to read all of it.

Please give your opinion!

Sorry for my bad english :)
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2324

Kudos [?]: 9437 [1] , given: 3701

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2014, 13:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
FBSK wrote:

I can only study 2 weeks (not full time) until the test and have never done it before. How should I study? I dont need a specific point, but I want to do as well as a can with 2 weeks study time.

No idea.... study the areas that can improve your score the most....
P.S. There is no such thing as "The Manhattan Book" so whatever you have and whatever you plan to do, I would double-check your plan.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 1

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2014, 13:52
This post received
KUDOS
bb wrote:
FBSK wrote:

No idea.... study the areas that can improve your score the most....
P.S. There is no such thing as "The Manhattan Book" so whatever you have and whatever you plan to do, I would double-check your plan.

Think it's called Manhattan GMAT Guide.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admission Consultant
Affiliations: Harvard University
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2014, 09:01
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I can't agree more with the above statement. Start with what is easy first, as that will help you move forward and feel like you are covering ground (because you are). Cover as much ground as possible this way, each time moving on to harder material, so that way you actually end up with more material under your belt. I also am a strong proponent of focusing on one section at a time. Sniper-like focus, and then move on to the next thing with sniper-like focus. Hope this helps, and always willing to talk more!

Jillian
MBA Ivy Consulting
http://www.MBAIvyLeague.com
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Optimus Prep Instructor

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 2

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2014, 02:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
So, how did you finally start to prepare?

Did you take a course or do you study alone?

Best regards,

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admission Consultant

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2014, 07:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
My opinion is, if your score doesn't break 700 on the practice, I recommend taking a course. It's been my experience that the organized courses can help you more than studying on your own - in most cases. It keeps you very focused, and actively moving through the material.

Jillian
MBA Ivy League
www.MBAIvyLeague.com
Expert Post
Optimus Prep Instructor

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2014, 04:06
Expert's post
How did you prepare finally? Was your prep successful?

Best regards,

Expert Post
Admission Consultant

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2014, 14:14
Expert's post
Yes, please tell us what you decided.

Jillian
MBA Ivy Consulting
http://www.MBAIvyLeague.com
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2014, 11:02
Hi everyone. I have looked over the posted GMAT Club study plans. I see myself in between Novice and Advanced GMAT Takers. I have taken 3 times GMAT test. First time, I relied on The Official Guide for GMAT® Review, 13th Edition for about month. Score was epic fail. Second time, I joined The Princeton Review Prep Course. The result was another fail 350. Third time, I reviewed The Official Guide for GMAT® Verbal Review and The Official Guide for GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2nd Edition. Another third fail.
I admitted that I have made mistakes during my study:
1) Not visiting GMAT Club website until today
2) Not asking former test takers.
3) Not taking full time test practice
4) Timing is problem. (Finishing only one third of questions for every exam part)
5) Not sticking to scheduled plan

I score 25 to 30 in math but 12 to 18 in verbal section.

I do not want to waste my time and money again. I trust and see myself scoring above 6oo, especially I am an A student, pilot, engineer, and have passed difficult exams.

I do not want to lose my scholarship. Please help me :(
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2014, 07:06
Come on guys! I need a help start a plan based on your experince
Expert Post
Optimus Prep Instructor

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2014, 02:55
Expert's post
Dear Omar,

it seems that timing is your biggest weakness.

In this case it makes no sense to visit another class course. To watch a video course is also not very helpful in your articular situation.

To address your personal weaknesses you have to take a private tutor. This tutor will teach you how to properly approach all different question types. If you know how to apply all learned concepts the most efficient way timing will be no issue anymore.

To score 600+ is actually not very difficult because about 60% of all test takers worldwide do so. If you score below average but prepared already for a long time ago this simply means that your prep was not effective. If you are serious about your academic future you have to improve!

Because of our score improvement or 100% money back guarantee you have nothing to lose anyway!

Do yourself a favor and get help from experts who provide an INDIVIDUAL SERVICE FOR YOUR PARTICULAR PROBLEMS!

In your case 23 hours online private tutoring (or if you like face to face) should be enough. Our 60+ hours GMAT video course is included and you get access to many GMAT simulations and numerous practice questions.

http://en.optimus-prep.com/gmat-private-tutoring-online

Best regards,

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 11

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2014, 07:37
Hello Everyone,

I have been an old member of GmatClub. The last time I gave GMAT exam was over 3 years ago. I have given the exam three times and my highest score has been 600. The first time I got Q 49 V 21 and since then my verbal score has not improved much and my Quant has came down a bit to 46 or so.

I want to give the exam again now and am targeting a score at around 700. Though my native language is not english but I have been learning it since I started school. I am myself surprised as to why my verbal score has been so low. I have to practice everything (Q+V) again and this time work hard and smart enough to meet my goal.

Please advice as to how should I go about it. I can give 1-2 hours on a weekday and more on weekends.

Thanks,
GR
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GPA: 3.62
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2014, 07:59
hi guys I am a newbie. Kindly help me. I am with a global mfg company for the past 2 yrs. I am planning to give my gmat around last week of august. Is the time sufficient. Kindly suggest me if i need any other material.

i have the following:

1. OG 12
2. MANHATTAN 5TH EDITION - all guides + foundation book
3. Power score CR bible
4. Math workout for the gmat - princeton...

Kindly help me which material to start with and whether the above materials suffice my prep.

my CGPA: 3.8/4.0

Cheers

Karthick
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 53 [1] , given: 3

Premium Member
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2014, 05:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Karthick,

Now until August is definitely enough time to prepare for the GMAT. In terms of how many hours per day to study, you should look at how much time you have available versus the hours recommended above. We suggest that you study for at least 1.5 hours per weekday and 4+ hours on weekend days (assuming you have a traditional work-week schedule). You should also pay attention to your personal needs. For example, if you find that 4 hours of study is too much and you are not absorbing information, then reduce the number of hours you study at one time. It would be counterproductive to continue studying if you’re too exhausted.

You should also take short breaks after each hour of studying to clear your head and renew your energy. Ideally 10-17 study hours per week is good goal, but this can easily go up or down based on your availability and how soon your test is coming. Part of the your study time should also involve reviewing summaries and notes you take along the way. In total, it’s ideal to allow 8 to 12 weeks to study properly for the GMAT.

Regards,

Elizabeth

http://econgm.at/GCfreetrial
For free GMAT practice questions, follow us @econgmat_qs
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep   [#permalink] 24 Mar 2014, 05:33