Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 11:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GPA: 3.62
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2014, 19:52
BethEconomistGMAT wrote:
Hi Karthick,

Now until August is definitely enough time to prepare for the GMAT. In terms of how many hours per day to study, you should look at how much time you have available versus the hours recommended above. We suggest that you study for at least 1.5 hours per weekday and 4+ hours on weekend days (assuming you have a traditional work-week schedule). You should also pay attention to your personal needs. For example, if you find that 4 hours of study is too much and you are not absorbing information, then reduce the number of hours you study at one time. It would be counterproductive to continue studying if you’re too exhausted.

You should also take short breaks after each hour of studying to clear your head and renew your energy. Ideally 10-17 study hours per week is good goal, but this can easily go up or down based on your availability and how soon your test is coming. Part of the your study time should also involve reviewing summaries and notes you take along the way. In total, it’s ideal to allow 8 to 12 weeks to study properly for the GMAT.

Regards,

Elizabeth

Thanks maam for ur kind reply. Can u pls sequence the order of the books i should deal with. I have the following material. Is that enough?

1. OG 12
2. MANHATTAN 5TH EDITION - all guides + foundation book
3. Power score CR bible
4. Math workout for the gmat - princeton...
5. Kaplan premier
6. Kaplan 800

THANKS & REGARDS

KARTHICK
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2014, 15:39
Hello:
I have tried to search the information before post, but I have a question. Which is the English level to start study GMAT? I need 600 , but my English is not the best, it is about b1+ or B2. Do you think I have to wait untill I get more english knowledges?

Thanks for the replies, and sorry if someone has asked it before.

:)

Last edited by WeTTe on 03 Apr 2014, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2014, 18:40
WeTTe wrote:
Hello:
I have tried to search the information before post, but I have a question. Which is the English level to start study GMAT? I need 600 (mínimum sub scores arround 23), but my English is not the best, it is about b1+ or B2. Do you think I have to wait untill I get more english knowledges?

Thanks for the replies, and sorry if someone has asked it before.

:)

hi more than the level of english, it is the strategy which is going to sail people through the exam. So once techniques on sentence correction and critical reasoning are honed up, then you will see a considerable improvement in ur scores . So start with the basics.

cheers
Karthick
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2014, 02:18
Hi All,

I just started GMAT preparation and my plan is to give it in May-June'14.

My background - Bachelor's in Engineering, 7+ years of technology experience. Plan is to study everyday 3-4 hrs per day.
Goal = GMAT score = 700-750

I have done basic preparation, read GMAT Manhattan books (8 of 9 - except RC)
Gave diagnostic test from OG and got average marks in about all sections (little disappointed there :( ).

Last sunday I gave GMAT practice test (without any practice) & got 550.
I know I gave practice test too early and without much preparation but wanted to see how I do it? & also wanted to know my weaknesses.

Weak points:
1. Maths = I did more than 20 questions right. But still very long way to go
2. Verbal = 21/41 ==== could not concentrate & read fast = RC paragraphs and did not get enough time for last 8-9 questions
3. Concentration & time management = sitting at one place for 4 long hours was really tough

My plan is to do Maths, CR, RC, SC = 10-15 questions everyday and SC revision (I'm using Manhattan material.)

Please let me know if you have better advice for me on improving my score & concentration.

Thanks!
SGMAT2014
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2014, 06:29
SGMAT2014 wrote:
Hi All,

My background - Bachelor's in Engineering, 7+ years of technology experience. Plan is to study everyday 3-4 hrs per day.

Gave diagnostic test from OG and got average marks in about all sections (little disappointed there :( ).

I know I gave practice test too early and without much preparation but wanted to see how I do it? & also wanted to know my weaknesses.

Weak points:
2. Verbal = 21/41 ==== could not concentrate & read fast = RC paragraphs and did not get enough time for last 8-9 questions
3. Concentration & time management = sitting at one place for 4 long hours was really tough

My plan is to do Maths, CR, RC, SC = 10-15 questions everyday and SC revision (I'm using Manhattan material.)

Please let me know if you have better advice for me on improving my score & concentration.

Thanks!
SGMAT2014

hi to write a full time gmat test is indeed tiring. For improving RC`s especially on reading speed, you can go with " how to read faster and better" by norman lewis.
Just relax and enjoy the process. Dont plan to write more than 2 full test per week.

cheers and all the best

Karthick
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2014, 21:42
this is perfect plan for GMAT exam preparation. If you follow this plan regularly than surely you got 80% up marks in examination.
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2014, 00:42
I am just starting with GMAT preparation and want to get into good B School. But my academic profile is not very impressive. Please let me know the chances of getting admission if i get a decent score in GMAT.

Graduation: CPG 8.1 from YPR college (Local engineering college)
Work Experience: 3 Years as Software Engineering in Wipro and currently working in Accenture.

Please let me know the chances of getting into a good B School if i score 680+ in GMAT.
Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 3

Premium Member
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2014, 12:29
Expert's post
Hi there jgnmhn29,

This seems like a great question for GMAT Club's resident admissions experts. You might want to ask your question in their forum:

ask-admission-consultants-124/

Regards,

Elizabeth

http://econgm.at/GCfreetrial
For free GMAT practice questions, follow us @econgmat_qs
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2014, 05:49
SGMAT2014 wrote:
Hi All,

Weak points:

Thanks!
SGMAT2014

Isn't the time a bit on the lower side ? Incidentally I am also starting preparation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT Date: 08-09-2015
GPA: 3.5
WE: Research (Retail)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2014, 23:07
Hi BB

Thanks for your advice. I am new to the group. I intend to appear for my gmat exam by early August 2014. This leaves me with approximately 3 months to prepare. I work full time as a manger in the retail sector, this gives me very little prep time during weekdays. I do not plan to quit my job to prepare for the GMAT. Although I have joined a classroom programme to help me brush up relevant subjects, I am really doubtful on the plan that I need to follow.
I understand the regular methodology mentioned at most places, which involves giving a test, analysing weak areas etc. but I find it very difficult to formulate a plan to strictly follow for these 3 months.

Can you please help me formulate a guideline/study plan for me?

Thanks
Zoheib
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2014, 04:26
zeejaybaba wrote:
Hi BB

Thanks for your advice. I am new to the group. I intend to appear for my gmat exam by early August 2014. This leaves me with approximately 3 months to prepare. I work full time as a manger in the retail sector, this gives me very little prep time during weekdays. I do not plan to quit my job to prepare for the GMAT. Although I have joined a classroom programme to help me brush up relevant subjects, I am really doubtful on the plan that I need to follow.
I understand the regular methodology mentioned at most places, which involves giving a test, analysing weak areas etc. but I find it very difficult to formulate a plan to strictly follow for these 3 months.

Can you please help me formulate a guideline/study plan for me?

Thanks
Zoheib

I am on the same boat .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2014, 04:31
Hi BB,
This is my first post so still a rookie on this site. I have started my GMAT prep and would appreciate if I can get some guidance from experienced folks. I have given my first GMAT exam 6 months ago with 3 weeks of preparation. I had scored 650 which was above my expectations(was thinking 620-630). I want to extend my score to 700+ In order to achieve that I have to work upon verbal area which is my weak area. Can you suggest a verbal intensive strategy. I am bit concerned about RC section. I am looking for a good online course which is verbal intensive and also has good amount of complete GMAT practice tests.

Would appreciate if you can help me in resolving my queries.

Regards
SG
Expert Post
Optimus Prep Instructor
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2014, 08:23
Expert's post
Please visit the following link to get Optimus Prep's 60+ hours GMAT on demand video course: http://www.optimus-prep.com/gmat-on-demand-course

It costs only $299 and is especially well suited for non-natives because it covers all GMAT concepts from A-Z (the verbal part is explained in great detail) and has our score improvement or 100% money back guarantee. 8 GMAT practice tests and 125 pages of course material are included as well.

Please be aware that it is the best rated GMAT online course on gmatclub!

If you have further questions please visit our website or contact our live chat.

OPTIMUS PREP

Best regards,

Artem Morgunov I Founder of Optimus Prep I morgunov@optimus-prep.com

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2014, 13:10
Hi guys,

Today I 've finished the second official practice test. I didn't expect to receive such a low score - 480. First attempt - 560. I prepared about a month for my second attempt. Each day - 2 hours + holidays 4 + hours. But still I haven't improved my score.

This month I studied SC book Manhattan + read fiction books; for math I reviewed foundation of Math Manhattan and after that finished quant part of 1 037 Q Princeton a couple of days ago.

My weakest point is Verbal section. I think that I need to take a strong online course in order to improve my score.

Also, I can't strongly improve my Math score, usually I have 63-68 percentile.

My purpose is 700+ and i would like to pass GMAT in August. But I 'm very nervous because of previous test resutls.

Hope, you will help me!:)
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9410 [0], given: 3697

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2014, 14:20
Expert's post
NikolayGlu wrote:
Hi guys,

Today I 've finished the second official practice test. I didn't expect to receive such a low score - 480. First attempt - 560. I prepared about a month for my second attempt. Each day - 2 hours + holidays 4 + hours. But still I haven't improved my score.

This month I studied SC book Manhattan + read fiction books; for math I reviewed foundation of Math Manhattan and after that finished quant part of 1 037 Q Princeton a couple of days ago.

My weakest point is Verbal section. I think that I need to take a strong online course in order to improve my score.

Also, I can't strongly improve my Math score, usually I have 63-68 percentile.

My purpose is 700+ and i would like to pass GMAT in August. But I 'm very nervous because of previous test resutls.

Hope, you will help me!:)

It is common for the scores to go down - don't waste tests or your time taking tests until you have finished your prep.
Think of it this way - you are training for a triathlon. You have mastered running but not swimming or biking, and you keep taking triathlons.... the question is why you keep doing that and not just focus on running or the next area?

You should include the raw scores since your overall scores mean little. Also, it is not clear which tests you have taken.... you also should not be surprised by a practice test. YOu should be getting regular results from your exercises which I hope you time.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 4

CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2014, 22:15
This post received
KUDOS
Hi BB,

Thank you for your previous reply!

I completed two practice tests from Free Official GMAT Prep Software.

My resutls: 1 test: 560 (Q43;V24)
2 test: 480 (Q44; V14)

I would like to choose the right strategy that can help me a lot to increase my scores. Also, I 'm ready to work hard in order to achieve the result.

Kind regards,
Nikolay
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2014, 05:58
This post received
KUDOS
Will gmatclub math book suffice to cover all topics of the examination ?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2014, 08:34
This post received
KUDOS
I started studying about 4 months before I took the test, 2 hours a day 6 days a week, and I got a 620 the first time.

I recomend buying the GMAT prep books if you study well by yourself, if not probably the Economist GMAT prep program is the best option.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 3

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 13 May 2014, 04:49
This post received
KUDOS
Great post bb!
Loved each and every part.

DreamMBA inc. Premium MBA Admission Consultants

We are offering huge discounts on our packages for early birds. Visit our website now to benefit from these limited time offers.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 28 May 2014, 10:58
been 7 days of starting. thanks anyways
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep   [#permalink] 28 May 2014, 10:58