Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 11:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford '17
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2012, 02:17
This post received
KUDOS
Hi everyone,

I have decided to start with GMAT today and plan to take May's test. This is the first time ever I begin with GMAT. I see many of you have your names listed here and share your study plan. I want to find some motivation to go along this road so I registered here.

I'm really, really weak in math so I have decided to start with it first, just aligning with the study plan suggested in the first page.

I wish for strength, patience and persistence in the 3 months to come. :D
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IE '15 (M)
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 7

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2012, 02:43
This post received
KUDOS
Hi meiying612, welcome and enjoy the information you will encounter during browsing here.

Almost for every part of the GMAT is enough infromation available. Start by getting familiar with the different topics ind math and verbal and do one of the available diagnostic tests.

Important books are listed throughout the forum, but OG12, MGMAT (all 8 books), Powerscore Bible are mentioned as best for prep.

Good luck with the preparation and keep us updated...
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.08
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 104

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2012, 16:12
This post received
KUDOS
This was super helpful to me! I'm just getting started in my training and this pointed me in the right direction. Thank you.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 69 [1] , given: 115

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2012, 07:37
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks for a lot of useful information.

Kudos if you like the post!

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2012, 02:13
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

I am looking at applying for Masters courses this time next year.

I did one of the GMAT tests just to have an idea of what it's like and I scored 530 with Q35 and V28. I have purchased the MGMAT books and OG12 book and the separate verbal and quant books too. I am looking at doing the tests in mid June.

I am aiming for at least 680 and preferably 700+ to stand out. Was a bit disappointed with my mark but at least my scores were quite balanced.

Did worse in DS for quant and CR and RC for verbal. PS was so so but I did well in the SC so was pleased with that.

Best of luck everyone
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Crest whitestrips [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2012, 22:18
This post received
KUDOS
These are in fact cool YouTube video lessons, its my fortune to pay a visit this website and finding these awesome YouTube movies.

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.08
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 104

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2012, 13:21
This post received
KUDOS
devpanda wrote:
Just started.... and loving it...but with so much resources and so many ideas.. am worried would get lost in this myriad...

It is pretty easy to get lost. I gave myself about a week to familiarize myself with this forum and read through many of the recommended material before starting to study. In the end I decided on getting the MGMAT material for my study, and so far I have not been disappointed.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: IIMA, Stanford, Harvard, UCB, NTU, NUS

Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 10:06
This post received
KUDOS
Hi, starting my preparation as guided by BB...
As the original post of BB is of the year 2009, I request my friends to please help me know the latest and best books to prepare for in the current period.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 22:12
This post received
KUDOS
Hello everyone, I have just started my GMAT preparation... Thank you for all those tips you gave! Realy helpfull.
So many people use MGMAT n OG12... Does anyone know anything about "Cracking the GMAT" (Princeton Review)?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2012, 23:57
This post received
KUDOS
hi everyone,
I am not good at verbal, i read very slow and there are a lot of news words for me. is there any ways to improve my reading skill?
Thanks
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 3.7
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 274

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2012, 01:43
This post received
KUDOS
Welcome to GMATClub ;)

of course there is a way to improve your reading and the best way is - to read more! You can use multiple resources:

1. Professional reading - Wallstreet Journal, Economist, Financial Times, Harvard Business Review etc., as well as many more, which have a more scientific orientation as America Science

2. Fiction - there is a special thread here on GC, which gives you some options to choose fiction books, which may be more interesting to you. -> books-to-read-improve-verbal-score-and-enjoy-a-good-read-76079.html

After 1-2 months, you'll notice how things change! Learning by doing!

Feel free to ask more questions!

Regards,

Thank you very much for reading this post till the end! Kudos?

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2012, 12:42
This post received
KUDOS
Hi ,

I have started my gmat prep, following the approach suggested by BB (Thanks mate!). But I have dedicated my first month to Verbal , since it my weak area. Following this I will at attack quant, which I am hoping should not be a difficult task, considering my comfort level with maths.

I needed some guidance from bb. As you suggested that by the end of the month, one should devote some time trying out the tests targeted at that specific area, I was unable to compile a list of tests to check my comfort level with Verbal. Tests like the mgmat, gmat prep, kaplan princeton etc are full length and I wanted to keep them for the last month's prep or should I attempt the verbal section of few of these now,and keep mgmat and gmat prep for later (since they are good indicators of the real Gmat score)

Also I have already appeared for the gmatprep1. I wanted to reset this, by removing the log files from the folder(the first test, so that I can practice Verbal) to get a new set of questions. Will this also reset Gmatprep2 , which I wanted to keep for the final days of my prep. I hope I am not sounding stupid :P

Please suggest how should I assemble the verbal part of the tests without losing the oppurtunity of appearing on the full length test , once I am through with my prep

Regards,
Meher
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2012, 09:44
This post received
KUDOS
Awesome post thanks for the detailed info.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 01 May 2012, 14:05
This post received
KUDOS
Great Content. Appreciate the posting
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 08-16-2012
WE: Corporate Finance (Advertising and PR)

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 26 May 2012, 03:40
This post received
KUDOS
Hi there,

My first post! I'm looking to take the gmat in august (14th) or in september. I've already studied a part of the program, essentially the basics : algebra, geometry, critical reasoning (love this part!).

I'll be off 5 weeks in july and august. It is sufficient to aim a 700+?

What preparation do you recommend?

thanks a lot!

Lyes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-17-2012
GPA: 3.77
WE: Editorial and Writing (Journalism and Publishing)

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 3

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 28 May 2012, 17:39
This post received
KUDOS
Hey everyone,

After much deliberation, I have finally decided to start preparing for the GMAT. I plan to take the test in the first week of September and will try to send in my applications for the first round, by mid/late October.

I will also start working on my recommendations and essays simultaneously, while preparing for the test.

I plan to study 4-6 hours a day, at least six days a week, and follow the study plan posted here. I have absolutely no math skills and plan to take a GMAT prep test tomorrow to see where I stand. Let's see how it goes. :)

The following is the tentative list of schools that I plan to apply to:
Northwestern Kellog
UC Berkley
Michigan Ross
UCLA Anderson
Emory University
U of Texas, Austin
North Carolina
USC Marshall
Georgetown University

I haven't included any of the top 10 schools in this list, but I want to apply to at least one. Which one of them do you think I am most likely to be accepted to, given my background in journalism?

Also, am I being too ambitious/unrealistic? :s

Take care.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 28 May 2012, 23:13
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Guys,

My name is Vaibhav. I joined the club around 2 days ago. I am a Test Lead with a leading software giant with an experience of around 6 years. I know that it is a bit late to wake up and start preparing for the GMAT but I have made up my mind to give the GMAT this year, most prolly by October.

I have gone through in numerous pages in this forum and am confused on which books to buy for the preparation. I am quite poor in Maths, though the verbal and other sections could be my strengths. I was looking at a simple strategy to prepare for the GMAT and get a good score (Around 720)

Your assistance is appreciated.

Regards
Vaibhav
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 58 [1] , given: 14

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 29 May 2012, 05:20
This post received
KUDOS
KurtRules wrote:
Hi Guys,

My name is Vaibhav. I joined the club around 2 days ago. I am a Test Lead with a leading software giant with an experience of around 6 years. I know that it is a bit late to wake up and start preparing for the GMAT but I have made up my mind to give the GMAT this year, most prolly by October.

I have gone through in numerous pages in this forum and am confused on which books to buy for the preparation. I am quite poor in Maths, though the verbal and other sections could be my strengths. I was looking at a simple strategy to prepare for the GMAT and get a good score (Around 720)

Your assistance is appreciated.

Regards
Vaibhav

Hey Vaibhav,

You are in the right place. The forum has loads to offer. To start just do the following:

- Get acquainted with the GMAT, question types etc. You need the OG to start with. Go through the questions and try to answer some.

- If you have done that already, make it a point to finish all the OG questions. Do that very carefully. Make sure you understand the explanations properly.

- If you don't get some concepts or feel you are weak in something, you can look at other alternate sources as well. That you can post on the forum and people will tell you what.

- After you finish the OG, take a GMAC practice test. If you are in the 650+ mark, take a date for the GMAT after a month or so.

- Now will be the time to consolidate. I personally like MGMAT books. So I recommend you to go through those.

- This forum is invaluable. If you say you are weak in quant, just follow the quant sub-forum. People post brilliant questions everyday and they are solved by experts.

- If you get stuck, just post!

All the best!!

Regards,

Shouvik.

Shouvik
http://www.Edvento.com
admin@edvento.com

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
GMAT Date: 09-15-2012
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 3

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 29 May 2012, 07:37
This post received
KUDOS
hi Shouvik,

This might sound silly but i am a newbie to Gmat..and that is the reason i am asking...

What exactly does the OG13 contain.

Only questions and explanations or does it contain concepts also?

Also is the Og13 separate for verbal and quant or does it include both?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2296

Kudos [?]: 9051 [1] , given: 3678

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 29 May 2012, 07:44
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
shreenath wrote:
hi Shouvik,

This might sound silly but i am a newbie to Gmat..and that is the reason i am asking...

What exactly does the OG13 contain.

Only questions and explanations or does it contain concepts also?

Also is the Og13 separate for verbal and quant or does it include both?

It contains only questions (official questions - the main value of the book) and it has both Verbal and Quant questions.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep   [#permalink] 29 May 2012, 07:44