Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 04:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT study strategy & studying time management

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

GMAT study strategy & studying time management [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2011, 12:28
This post received
KUDOS
I work full-time, everyday from 9am to around 6/7pm.
After work, I have to eat dinner at some point, and by the time I do that as well as take care of other little things I need to at home, it ends up being nearly 10pm. At that point, it's hard for me to squeeze in any productive studying as I aim to go to bed by midnight to 1am at the very latest.

Since we all want to score as high as we possibly we can, we obviously can't limit ourselves to just weekend study.

Questions I'd like to ask:
If you work full-time, how do you squeeze studying into your schedule during weekdays? Any tips on how to maximize the too-few 24 hours we have in a day?
Also, where are your favorite, go-to study spots?

Last edited by jca32 on 11 Aug 2011, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 3

Re: GMAT study strategy & studying time management [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2011, 13:02
This post received
KUDOS
I think most of us have the same problems that you outlined in your post. When I started my GMAT prep, I used to work 10 am - 7 pm and workout 5 times a week. I cut back on my workout and reduced it to 3 times a week to make some time for the GMAT. Additionally, I moved my work hours to 12 - 8 pm and used the morning to study. On some weeks, I studied in the evenings. But still, most of my studying happened on the weekends. I would spend both days almost entirely in the public library. I also took a few days of vacation to ramp up the prep. Early on during the prep, I realized that I can't keep the new schedule for long and I should do the GMAT as a sprint rather than as a marathon. I ramped up my prep in the 3rd week of June and was ready to take the test on Aug 1st. During these 6 weeks I went into the survival mode and did only the bare minimum to get by :) I had no social life during those six weeks - I've a long list of calls to return, dinner appointments to schedule etc. I also have a long list of stuff that I need to take care of around the house. I'll post a detailed debrief on Sunday once I'm done with the exam and I'll include both study and time management strategies along with the stuff that worked for me.

Give me kudos if you like my post!

Last edited by bschool2014 on 12 Aug 2011, 13:29, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT study strategy & studying time management [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2011, 09:10
Yes, I'd absolutely like to read your detailed debrief. I look forward to it!

You're right - because time is so limited during the week for those of us who work full-time, I think we really have to take advantage of the weekends. I think I need to start waking up earlier on weekends to make the most of my free days.

Anyway, I'll keep thinking of ways to find the perfect study schedule.

Thanks for your reply!
Re: GMAT study strategy & studying time management   [#permalink] 12 Aug 2011, 09:10