Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 16:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Subscore Reporting

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

GMAT Subscore Reporting [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2012, 18:10
Hi, I had a question about how the top 20 schools generally have you report your GMAT score on the application. I know you self-report your total score, but my two questions are:

1) Do you report your subscore breakdown as well?

2) Do you put the percentile breakdown of your subscores?

I know different schools may have different policies, but I am curious if there was a generally accepted way of doing it.

Thank you for your help.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 98

Kudos [?]: 400 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: GMAT Subscore Reporting [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2012, 21:45
In all of my applications I reported the total score, subscore breakdown, and percentile. All of this data will then be corroborated by the official score report. Hope this helps.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Subscore Reporting [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2012, 01:55
That does help. I took the test yesterday and now have a classic case of a great overall score but just missing the 80/80 split (730 overall with V48 (78%) and Q41 (93%)). I've heard people say it doesn't matter, but just in case it does, I wanted to give adcom's one less reason to ding me. I have a liberal arts background so I don't have a bunch of quant classes to make up for a less than 80% quant score, but I also don't want to retake since I'm thrilled with my overall score. Any thoughts on that?
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 98

Kudos [?]: 400 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: GMAT Subscore Reporting [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2012, 05:21
tightlines wrote:
That does help. I took the test yesterday and now have a classic case of a great overall score but just missing the 80/80 split (730 overall with V48 (78%) and Q41 (93%)). I've heard people say it doesn't matter, but just in case it does, I wanted to give adcom's one less reason to ding me. I have a liberal arts background so I don't have a bunch of quant classes to make up for a less than 80% quant score, but I also don't want to retake since I'm thrilled with my overall score. Any thoughts on that?

You're close enough to 80/80 that I wouldn't retake the test. I took the GMAT one year ago and Q48 was 82nd percentile. Over time Q percentiles are being pushed down while V percentiles are being pushed higher. Within a couple of years Q49 won't even be 80th percentile. I do think adcoms are realizing this. I think that Q48 is high enough to demonstrate that you can handle quant.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Subscore Reporting [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2012, 13:07
Cheetah...thank you for your help and opinion. I'm 95% sure I'm just going to focus on my applications and hope for the best.

If anyone else happens read this post and you didn't have to post your percentile rank on your applications for the top 20 programs, I'd love to hear about it.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: GMAT Subscore Reporting [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2012, 13:56
I don't recall posting my percentile when filling out the applications but you do have to upload a score report at every school. That will definitely have the percentile on it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Subscore Reporting [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2012, 19:03
tightlines wrote:
Hi, I had a question about how the top 20 schools generally have you report your GMAT score on the application. I know you self-report your total score, but my two questions are:

1) Do you report your subscore breakdown as well?

2) Do you put the percentile breakdown of your subscores?

I know different schools may have different policies, but I am curious if there was a generally accepted way of doing it.

Thank you for your help.

1 - Yes, most schools list the subscore breakdown
2 - If it's there put it on, but the schools and you also have access tot hat percentile sheet.

All of those show up in the online application. One way or another the schools you apply to will get your full scores from the source.
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Subscore Reporting [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2012, 19:25
I thought most applications have you self-report your scores and then, if you are accepted, you send an official score report that lists all previous tests, percentile rankings, etc. Did you guys have to send an official score report from GMAC during the initial application?

As I mentioned below, my quant subscore was Q48-which I was thrilled with since I don't have a quant background, but I was a little surprised when it had me at a 78% for the percentile section since I thought a Q48 would get me over the 80% hump. I was hoping the applications would just let me report my total score and subscore, but it seems like that isn't the case.
Retired Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Subscore Reporting [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2012, 20:01
tightlines wrote:

I think you wrote your sub score wrongly here? Would be Q48 and V41 right?

Anyways - as Cheetarah mentioned you are supposed to report the sub scores and overall score, along with percentiles, of your best GMAT attempt that you are reporting to the school. Sometimes schools may ask for the entire GMAT reporting history as well.

http://unclearadmit.tumblr.com
Latest Blog Entry:
09-05-13 Its been too long ... Updates & the Tuck Loan

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.47
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Subscore Reporting [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2012, 21:15
tightlines wrote:
I thought most applications have you self-report your scores and then, if you are accepted, you send an official score report that lists all previous tests, percentile rankings, etc. Did you guys have to send an official score report from GMAC during the initial application?

As I mentioned below, my quant subscore was Q48-which I was thrilled with since I don't have a quant background, but I was a little surprised when it had me at a 78% for the percentile section since I thought a Q48 would get me over the 80% hump. I was hoping the applications would just let me report my total score and subscore, but it seems like that isn't the case.

I think most schools require you to send the official GMAT scores at the time of application. The official GMAT score is a part of your application. You maybe mixing this with the official undergraduate transcript, which you only have to send if you get accepted.

I think a Q48 is a very good score and you are worrying too much about nothing.
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Subscore Reporting [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 08:31
Yes, I meant Q48 and V41. I was really tired when I wrote that. :oops:

Gokhra--yes I could be mixing it up. I thought I had heard that you just self-report at first, but I'm going to call some of my target programs this week to ask.
Re: GMAT Subscore Reporting   [#permalink] 16 Jul 2012, 08:31