Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 03:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Gmat technique: forgetting about time

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 265 [0], given: 151

Reviews Badge
Gmat technique: forgetting about time [#permalink] New post 03 May 2010, 19:07
Hi,

I was wondering if someone has used the following technique for the quant section (I'm sorry if it is already discussed in older post).

Focus 100% in each question, no matter how much time is spent in each one, and guess the remaining ones. For example, forgetting about the time until the last 3 minutes, and then guess all the remaining questions. Of course, if a question is getting too much time or I get stuck then do an educated guess.

Actually, I think I'm able to make almost the 25 questions right in a row if I don't worry about the time. In fact, when I start worrying about the time, then my brain starts freezing and my accuracy goes down quickly. I just can't manage well the time pressure and I start doing errors in basic math operations, and missing 600-700 questions a lot.

Doing the test trying to be always on time, in the end it's possible that I could have the same number of correct answers from the 37 questions but it may be better doing 20-25 well in a row.

My goal is to get a Q50 or Q49.

Any thoughts on that will be appreciated.

Club-MBA - Comunidad MBA en español | Mi Blog "Mi MBA en Chicago Booth"

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 171 [1] , given: 13

Re: Gmat technique: forgetting about time [#permalink] New post 03 May 2010, 19:21
This post received
KUDOS
Every question counts, so you cannot risk your score by "guessing" 33% of the total quant problems. If you want 50 in quant, then I would suggest to train yourself to solve every question in less than 90 seconds. No problem is worth more than 2 minutes. If you are spending more than that, you are digging your own grave.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [1] , given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: Gmat technique: forgetting about time [#permalink] New post 03 May 2010, 19:45
This post received
KUDOS
yea general rule of thumb is to not go over 2 min per question UNLESS you are about to solve it under a minute. If it is taking more than 2 mins and you still "have no idea" then make an educated guess and move on. Remember that for every question YOU DONT ANSWER you get a point off!

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Gmat technique: forgetting about time [#permalink] New post 03 May 2010, 20:11
I agree with Red18. with:

My goal is to get a Q50 or Q49.

better than Q30...
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 51 [1] , given: 16

Re: Gmat technique: forgetting about time [#permalink] New post 03 May 2010, 21:59
This post received
KUDOS
I'm sorry but this strategy is awful in my opinion. With this mindset you will come to a problem or problems that take(s) an enormous amount of time but end up wanting to solve it completely.....this might kill 5,6,7 or more minutes!

This will end up costing you not one wrong answer but 3 wrong answers for each problem that you spend too much time on. Now imagine that happens for 2 or 3 answers. You will end up getting 9-12 wrong answers by rushing at the end instead of getting the 3 tough ones wrong.

DON'T LET ONE WRONG ANSWER TURN INTO MULTIPLE WRONG ANSWERS.

It's ok to take an educated guess on a question that is taking too much time. One of the things you learn when you manage a business is that you need to be nimble and humble enough to know when you have gone down the wrong path, you need to stop and take another course of action. The GMAT with its tight time limit tests this ability in this way.

If you like my post, a kudos is always appreciated ;)

1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 181

Kudos [?]: 983 [1] , given: 235

Reviews Badge
Re: Gmat technique: forgetting about time [#permalink] New post 03 May 2010, 22:13
This post received
KUDOS
Please do not follow this.

Best is to practice as much as you can so that you are able to solve questions quickly.
Try to solve in 2 mins, if you are sure you will be able to solve the question by taking 1 more minute do that, if you aren't , make an educated guess and move ahead.

Even if your guess is wrong it will not affect you much, as intersperse incorrect answers will not harm as much as incorrect answers in a row will do.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 7

Re: Gmat technique: forgetting about time [#permalink] New post 04 May 2010, 02:47
Not to worry about the time is a wise thing to do. But the suggested strategy makes no sense to me personally.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: Gmat technique: forgetting about time [#permalink] New post 04 May 2010, 04:51
also, try to save time for later questions because if you are doing well in quant early you will see harder questions consistently mid to late so those questions might take more time overall since their difficulty are higher.

Current Student
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 265 [0], given: 151

Reviews Badge
Re: Gmat technique: forgetting about time [#permalink] New post 04 May 2010, 18:13
thanks guys, I will forget about this technique then.

I should definitely improve my timing strategy.. Yesterday I did a practice test and I was so focus in the speed that I finished 12 min ahead, but of course many questions wrong because of some stupid errors due to the speed.

I need to find the perfect balance.

Club-MBA - Comunidad MBA en español | Mi Blog "Mi MBA en Chicago Booth"

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9392 [1] , given: 3696

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Gmat technique: forgetting about time [#permalink] New post 08 May 2010, 21:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I would not use it as a technique so to speak, but I would take one test with a disregard for the time (just to see how you do without being worried about time) - you will be surprised about the results. This will show you the difference between taking a test under stress and not. (some tests allow you to turn off time but in this case, you can hide the clock but still keep the clock running so that it cuts you off at the end)... I did this and was able to do a lot more than I usually can under timed conditions. Gave me a proof that I can do a lot more than I thought in those 75 mins.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: Gmat technique: forgetting about time [#permalink] New post 08 May 2010, 22:41
like BB said. do a test with timing off and see how long it takes "at your best" and then work it down from there. But bottom line is this - the better you are at basics and techniques the less time overall you will be using. The problems can only have so many variations!

CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 181

Kudos [?]: 983 [0], given: 235

Reviews Badge
Re: Gmat technique: forgetting about time [#permalink] New post 09 May 2010, 03:27
bb wrote:
I would not use it as a technique so to speak, but I would take one test with a disregard for the time (just to see how you do without being worried about time) - you will be surprised about the results. This will show you the difference between taking a test under stress and not. (some tests allow you to turn off time but in this case, you can hide the clock but still keep the clock running so that it cuts you off at the end)... I did this and was able to do a lot more than I usually can under timed conditions. Gave me a proof that I can do a lot more than I thought in those 75 mins.

well said. thumps up :lol:

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Re: Gmat technique: forgetting about time   [#permalink] 09 May 2010, 03:27