Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General Management, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 520 Q31 V31
GPA: 3.3
WE:Human Resources (Consulting)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Send PM
Re: GMAT Test Date [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Abhi,

With a Test Date on July 11th, you have about 6.5 weeks of potential study time. Given the lack of study time that you've already described, raising your score 270+ points in that time is not realistic. Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their goals, so you're almost certainly going to need more time than you've allotted to score 700+ (and you'll have to find a way to study consistently throughout each week during that time). While you can take the GMAT on July 11th, you'll almost certainly need to take it again later on, so you can either spend that extra money on a retake or pay the re-scheduling fee (which is currently $50) and push back your Test Date.

You seem comfortable with the idea that you might not be applying to Business School until later on, so you have to also be flexible enough to adjust your study plans. You don't have to make any decisions about all of this right now though. You can continue to study as you see fit and then take another FULL-LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections) in a couple of weeks. That score result will help to define your progress. In the long term, you would likely find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led).

1) What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on each of these CATs?
2) Did you take the FULL CAT (with the Essay and IR sections) each time?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich,

Yes i totally agree with you when you say i don't have sufficient time to aim for a 700. I figured i would take the test on the 11th to get a feel of how it actually is. Yes both the times i took the practice tests have been full length with the essay and the IR sections. Surprisingly, i had no trouble with stamina as i was equally excited and nervous as i was in the start compared to the end of the tests. I guess having 3 hour exams in india sort of prepared me for the GMAT indirectly :)

I did take a GMAT course for 6 weeks as i mentioned. The classes were for 3 hours every weekend, however, i did not apply what i learnt by practicing. I know i have to give it a lot more for me to even expect to break the 600 barrier. I did not take a note of my quant and verbal scores but from what i remember i got 22 correct out of 41 in Verbal and 20 correct out of 37 in Quant, however this will not help anyone determine my percentile as it could be 20 easy questions that i got right.

Do you have any suggestions to improve my quant basics? I find the Magoosh online lessons useful, i am looking for a source where i get easy math questions to practice once i work on my basics so i get a good grip and at the same time boost my confidence a bit.

Abhishek
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Abhishek,

For free 'math practice' and help, I recommend that you set up an account at Khan Academy (www.khanacademy.org). The site is completely free and makes the learning a bit more fun and 'game-like' (as opposed to the dry academic approach taken by most books). While the site is vast, you should limit your studies to basic Arithmetic, Algebra and Geometry. After spending a little time re-building those skills, you can shift back over to your GMAT studies.

As you continue to practice, it's important to note the data from your practice CATs (the Scaled Scores provide important information about how you're performing and provide a great basis for comparison as you continue to study).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey Rich,

Thank you introducing me to Khan Academy. It's been great so far and I'm going to use this to strengthen my foundations before coming back to working on the GMAT. Will keep you posted on my progress.

Sent from my SM-G935F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 168
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
GMAT Test Date [#permalink]
Hi,
I am a 33 year old Male. Management Consultant with 8 years of experience with an MBA from a not so high ranked Indian B School. I started my preparation in Jan 2016. I have hectic work schedule and have to travel a lot but still I manage to put at least 2hrs a day and 8hrs on week ends (provided I am not travelling) . My practice tests pan out as follows

GMAT Prep Exam Pack 1- Test 1- Diagnostic Test - Dec 2015- 390 (Q16 V27)
GMAT Prep Exam Pack 1 Test 2- Prepped for 2 Months- Mar 2106- 480 (Q33 V23)
GMAT Prep Exam Pack 1 Test 1 Retake- Prepped again for a Month- Apr 2016- 590 (Q48 V24)
GMAT Prep Exam Pack 1 Test 2 Retake- Prepped again for a Month- Jun 2016- 700 (Q50 V35)
GMAT Prep Exam Pack 2 Test 1 - Jun 2016- 550 (Q4 V23)
MCAT 1- Test 1- Brushed up on Verbal and practices QUants from GMAT CLub Test- 660 ( Q47 V33)
MCAT 1- Test 1- Brushed up on Verbal and practices QUants from GMAT CLub Test- 660 ( Q46 V34)

I tend to pause my test as I keep looking at Quants formulae and properties

My question is my Target Score is 730+ and I am targeting Bschool INSEAD and ISB ( 1yr courses to be precise) I have not yet booked my exam date and I am targeting to start my application processes by AUgust end. I have to join this coming batch of Jan 2017 for ISB and likes or Sep 2016 for Insead and likes

Should I go ahead and Book a date. I am planning for July 29 and will take 5 days off before it. I have been thinking that once I hit 730 in two consecutive Mocks then I will book the date but now I am panicking.I have dropped from 700 to 550 then now improved to 660 but I am messing up Number properties big time now, earlier it was my strength. I only need a week to thoroughly brushup and I am sure I will hit 700 plus.

Please advise !!

PS: I have exhausted all OGs & Official Review Books and MGMATs. I am currently solving only GMAT Club QUestions
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4
Send PM
riteshpatnaik wrote:
Hi,
I am a 33 year old Male. Management Consultant with 8 years of experience with an MBA from a not so high ranked Indian B School. I started my preparation in Jan 2016. I have hectic work schedule and have to travel a lot but still I manage to put at least 2hrs a day and 8hrs on week ends (provided I am not travelling) . My practice tests pan out as follows

GMAT Prep Exam Pack 1- Test 1- Diagnostic Test - Dec 2015- 390 (Q16 V27)
GMAT Prep Exam Pack 1 Test 2- Prepped for 2 Months- Mar 2106- 480 (Q33 V23)
GMAT Prep Exam Pack 1 Test 1 Retake- Prepped again for a Month- Apr 2016- 590 (Q48 V24)
GMAT Prep Exam Pack 1 Test 2 Retake- Prepped again for a Month- Jun 2016- 700 (Q50 V35)
GMAT Prep Exam Pack 2 Test 1 - Jun 2016- 550 (Q4 V23)
MCAT 1- Test 1- Brushed up on Verbal and practices QUants from GMAT CLub Test- 660 ( Q47 V33)
MCAT 1- Test 1- Brushed up on Verbal and practices QUants from GMAT CLub Test- 660 ( Q46 V34)

I tend to pause my test as I keep looking at Quants formulae and properties

My question is my Target Score is 730+ and I am targeting Bschool INSEAD and ISB ( 1yr courses to be precise) I have not yet booked my exam date and I am targeting to start my application processes by AUgust end. I have to join this coming batch of Jan 2017 for ISB and likes or Sep 2016 for Insead and likes

Should I go ahead and Book a date. I am planning for July 29 and will take 5 days off before it. I have been thinking that once I hit 730 in two consecutive Mocks then I will book the date but now I am panicking.I have dropped from 700 to 550 then now improved to 660 but I am messing up Number properties big time now, earlier it was my strength. I only need a week to thoroughly brushup and I am sure I will hit 700 plus.

Please advise !!

PS: I have exhausted all OGs & Official Review Books and MGMATs. I am currently solving only GMAT Club QUestions

I think you should start your own thread. By default, this thread is dedicated to solving the OP's concerns.
GMAT Club Bot