Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 01:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT test today (730 Q48 V42)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT test today (730 Q48 V42) [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2007, 11:24
i just got back from the test in southern california. i picked up a GMAT book for the first time 6 weeks ago. i've been trying to studying 1-2 hours per day at night after work and 3-4 hours on weekends. i used OG11, OG verbal, OG quant, kaplan verbal, kaplan math, princeton review overall, manhattan gmat sentence correction and of course gmatprep and powerprep.

AWA was ok. first question was something about employees of not-for-profit corporations being more motivated than employees of for-profit corporations. second question was about moving up professionally at the expense of a private life.

anyway, i think my AWA was ok. we'll see in 3 weeks but i'm hoping for a 5.

quantitative
usually my math scores range from 48-51 on my practice tests. i used to always finish my practice tests with about 5 minutes to spare so i've been taking the time to recheck my work, etc. but these days that has backfired and i've been running out of time. i ran low on time so i had to start rushing at the end. i think i had like 7 minutes left for the last 5 questions and i found myself looking at the clock a lot and finding that i'm below pace.

verbal
my verbal scores range from 38-42 on my practice test. i used to finish 10-15 minutes early so i've been taking this a lot slower. i finished with about 4 minutes left and towards the end i was really taking my time to read and re-read and re-read, etc.

my goal was to have 700+. my practice tests ranged from 660-730 but usually i kind of rushed a bit on my practice tests. if i scored under 700, i was going to retake. i figured if everything goes well, i would get like a Q50/V42 (like 750).

oh well, in the end a Q48, V42. the 48 on Q was on par with the lowest i would ever score but the 42 was on par with the highest and total is 730 so i'm happy.

overall percentiles:

Q48 / 85
V42 / 95
Overall 730 / 96
(UPDATE AWA SCORE 6.0)

i'm an older guy (34) applying to executive MBA programs. my undergrad GPA from 10+ years ago was a low 2.5 from UC Berkeley.

1) UCLA EMBA
2) USC EMBA
3) Wharton West EMBA (in San Francisco)
4) INSEAD (full time 1 year)
5) maybe kellogg, maybe London Business School, etc.

RVD.

Last edited by RVD on 18 Sep 2007, 23:53, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2007, 19:58
What sort of traps did u avoid in CR on the test?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2007, 21:46
Hi RVD,

how many questions do you think you got wrong on the verbal?

KG
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2007, 22:04
i don't know how many questions i got wrong. i would estimate about 10 on quantitative and maybe 8 on verbal.

i think i probably got only 2 or so wrong in verbal on the first 25 problems and then like 6 wrong on the last 15 problems.

but i think i'm like most people in that i always have a lot of questions where i narrow it down to 2 choices and then just stare at it for awhile until one of them kind of start looking a little better.

CR is a bit of a pain because i for the most part i can do them pretty well but i always run into a few questions that stump me and i'm pretty much forced to guess. i didn't do anything special to study CR...just OG.

i actually studied the OG books by going to the answer /explanation section and just going through problems there one at a time. i cover up the answer section with a sheet of paper, try to do the problem, write down my answer, and then proceed to the explanation. for me, this works better than taking the test first and then reading the explanations because by the time i'm done, i find it difficult to go back and concentrate on my correct answer choices (i just tend to focus on the wrong ones).

so i do the explanation section study first and then every week i'll take a practice test (gmat, powerprep, and the 6 manhattan ones).

obviously gmatprep is the best. powerprep is good but slightly easier. and manhattan is good (i like their explanations) but since it's not the real thing i find that some of their questions aren't clear (and i don't agree with their answers) and overall the difficulty is a bit inaccurate.

RVD.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2007, 07:05
Man RVD, when it comes to the GMAT, there is no doubt about it, you are the whole #$%#$ show!!!
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2007, 16:51
fawreel902 wrote:
Man RVD, when it comes to the GMAT, there is no doubt about it, you are the whole #$%#$ show!!!

lol...thanks you know it. i am the WHOLE F'N SHOW.

RVD.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2007, 19:52
very nice score. Congrats.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2007, 11:31
First of all congratulations. You nailed it!!

Secondly, I am so jealous of all you smart people. I have been studying like crazy (ignoring my family and friends) and still have a long way to go. Me and my slow brain.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 19:54
gluon wrote:
First of all congratulations. You nailed it!!

Secondly, I am so jealous of all you smart people. I have been studying like crazy (ignoring my family and friends) and still have a long way to go. Me and my slow brain.

don't worry. i think a lot of this test has to do with getting familiar with the types of questions that are on the test.

i am actually very bad at standardized tests. i failed the written test for the driving exam a bunch of times, etc. i spent most of my time just getting comfortable with the software, types of questions, and pacing my time.

RVD.
  [#permalink] 18 Sep 2007, 19:54