Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 21:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Testing Centers Discussion

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 305
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
GMAT Testing Centers Discussion [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2009, 13:34
Hi all, this is my first post. I am planning on taking the GMAT later on this year.

While studying and especially while doing important exams, I like to have as much privacy as possible so I can concentrate. I have researched and I see that you get ear plugs.

But what is the computer station like that you sit down in? You get a mouse and keyboard? Are there walls around the computer so that you can't see others and they can't see you? Are all test centers created equal? I am located in Los Angeles, so if there are specific test centers that are better than others, please share.

Sorry if these are noob questions, but I've read the FAQ's here and on mba.com and couldn't find the answers to these questions. Thanks in advance.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12187
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2273

Kudos [?]: 8783 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Are there walls around each computer? [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2009, 13:51
Expert's post
topher wrote:
Hi all, this is my first post. I am planning on taking the GMAT later on this year.

While studying and especially while doing important exams, I like to have as much privacy as possible so I can concentrate. I have researched and I see that you get ear plugs.

But what is the computer station like that you sit down in? You get a mouse and keyboard? Are there walls around the computer so that you can't see others and they can't see you? Are all test centers created equal? I am located in Los Angeles, so if there are specific test centers that are better than others, please share.

Sorry if these are noob questions, but I've read the FAQ's here and on mba.com and couldn't find the answers to these questions. Thanks in advance.



Very god question :!:

I am trying to remember my test center and I believe the computers were not separated by any walls or partitions - you just had some space between them. You could basically see what your neighbor next door was doing or at least which test they were taking... and of course this was a while ago.

Can anyone from a recent wave share anything?
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Aug 2008
Posts: 379
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Are there walls around each computer? [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2009, 14:15
some test centers have the walls separating the computers some dont. also, some centers r very noisy and there is sometimes construction or some other annoying sound going on that u can hear while taking the test.

it depends pretty much on ur luck because this can seriously affect ur score. the test provider does crappy job to make sure we have a quiet room (costs them money yeah).
_________________

The one who flies is worthy. The one who is worthy flies. The one who doesn't fly isn't worthy

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Mar 2009
Posts: 193
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Are there walls around each computer? [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2009, 05:26
Do they allow ear plugs? I don't think I could have gotten a CFA charter w/o them....nothing like someone's watch going off to interrupt your train of thought...
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2008
Posts: 52
Schools: HBS(08) - Ding. HBS, Stanford, Kellogg, Tuck, Stern, all dings. Yale - Withdrew App. Emory Executive -- Accepted, Matriculated, Withdrewed (yes, I spelled it wrong on purpose). ROSS -- GO BLUE 2011.
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 1

Re: Are there walls around each computer? [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2009, 06:27
spgny wrote:
Do they allow ear plugs? I don't think I could have gotten a CFA charter w/o them....nothing like someone's watch going off to interrupt your train of thought...



Earplugs are okay -- many place provide headphones (becuase they do different types of testing) that will simply block out the ambient noise.

The atlanta centers vary a little bit, but the do have a partial partition between each computer terminal.

When my students are doign problems or quizes in class, I often talk about nothing, make noise, etc, to help them practice being distracted, or rather, working through distractions, on test day.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 305
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Are there walls around each computer? [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2009, 09:27
Thanks for the heads up people. I'm also in the CFA program right now (will be taking L2 in June). Earplugs are very helpful.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Mar 2009
Posts: 193
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Are there walls around each computer? [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2009, 12:32
RahlowJenkins wrote:
spgny wrote:
Do they allow ear plugs? I don't think I could have gotten a CFA charter w/o them....nothing like someone's watch going off to interrupt your train of thought...



Earplugs are okay -- many place provide headphones (becuase they do different types of testing) that will simply block out the ambient noise.

The atlanta centers vary a little bit, but the do have a partial partition between each computer terminal.

When my students are doign problems or quizes in class, I often talk about nothing, make noise, etc, to help them practice being distracted, or rather, working through distractions, on test day.


nice..I still hope there are walls...
Re: Are there walls around each computer?   [#permalink] 09 Apr 2009, 12:32
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic GMAT NYC TEST CENTERS jgrossman89 2 18 Apr 2014, 14:27
GMAT test centers in NJ Miraarun12345 0 19 Mar 2014, 06:33
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic GMAT Test Center Reviews Bigred2008 1 18 Apr 2012, 13:03
GMAT Test Center (NY) bozo190101 0 23 Mar 2008, 05:16
Problems in GMAT test center??? GMATBLACKBELT 13 18 Sep 2007, 11:07
Display posts from previous: Sort by

GMAT Testing Centers Discussion

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: bagdbmba, WaterFlowsUp



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.