Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 23:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Tips, looking to improve to 700 range

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Other, General Management
Schools: Goizueta '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.72
WE: Consulting (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tips, looking to improve to 700 range [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2012, 18:31
Hello,

I have been studying for almost 2 months now and plan another month of dedicated study before taking the GMAT in early June

When I first started it was like starting over as I hadn't done math since early college days (about 4 years)

I started with the foundations and then started attempting actual problems.

I first did the Kaplan Premier book, then the Official Guide 12 Quant book. I took practice tests throughout the process and my scores have consistenly gone up.
Kaplan 1 - CD test but my computer won't work with the CD
Kaplan 2 - 580 (Q36, V36)
Kaplan 3 - 660 (Q41, V43)
GMAT Prep 1 - 620 (Can't locate breakdown)
Kaplan 4 - 590 (Q35, V36)
Kaplan 5 - 590 (Q36, V32)
Kaplan 6 - 590 (Q38 V30)
MGMAT 1 -600 (Q43, V31)
Princeton Review Free - 620 (Can't locate breakdown)
GMAT Prep 2 - 660 (Q42, V38)
MGMAT 2 - 660 (Q45, V35)

I feel as if my Quant score is steadily increasing and on my last CAT test, the MGMAT 2nd test upon review the only Quant questions I missed were in the 700-800 range. I recently breezed through the MGMAT Foundation books just as a refresher on core concepts (and I am waiting on the strategy guides).

Previously I did all the Quant problems in the OG 12 Quant review and got 86% right. I have recently reviewed and redid all the questions I had previously gotten wrong.

Any advice on how to proceed? I plan on completing all the strategy guides for MGMAT and then completing the OG 12 Verbal review.Once these are completed I plan on diving into the OG 12 and compelting each problem multiple times (until I can fully understand why the problem is correct). While doing this I plan to take CAT tests peridocally just to somewhat measure improvement and keeping the pacing strategies I currently have (as I have only run out of time once in the CAT's I have taken). I can see my Quant score slowly increasing and I have gotten my highest score of 45 today. I feel fairly confident I can increase this as I notice mistakes on some of the problems. I may have dove into the CAT's a little too early but I like to measure how my studying is going. I figure if I focus more on the tougher math problems while increase my verbal score (provided this will increase with strategy guides and more practice) I should see the scores I am looking for

Any advice on how to proceed studying or any thoughts on my plans for prep?

Any advice would help
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V38
GPA: 2.6
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Electronics)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Tips, looking to improve to 700 range [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2012, 23:31
You mentioned some great ideas. However, I didn't see any mention of narrowing your focus in your last month of study. This is the perfect time to reassess where you are truly at. An arbitrary number like 660 doesn't tell us that. Neither does Q45, V38, etc.

When we visit a doctor, we can't just tell them we're sick and expect for the doc to cure us. She may ask us a bundle of questions to gather important data and proceed from there. She may also suggest certain things to see which one sounds the most accurate to us (I'm not a medical expert but assume a heavy amount of data gathering and analysis goes into every diagnosis). With our GMAT preparation, it is no different. These CAT exams, we're able to see what questions we're getting incorrect. If you're able to hone in the concepts from verbal (looks like you're doing a wonderful job increasing your proficiency in Quant), perhaps we may have a better shot at increasing our score. I know this forum is filled with 700+ stories but the one thing I see that is very common in high performers is that they don't stress over a number. It seems like they're more involved with the process then they are with the end result. With that being said, reflect on what it is that can most affect your score positively and narrow in on that segment of your preparation. Don't forget to brush over the other concepts so that you remain fresh. Good luck on the next exam and wish you the very best on your preparation.

Don't let a low GPA destroy your dreams of a business education.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
GPA: 3.7

Re: GMAT Tips, looking to improve to 700 range [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 06:40
I think you need to get expert help to pinpoint your weaknesses and cross the threshold, I was in the same place and used a great online tutor, with a trackreccord of getting results . I think that's the way to go..
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 82

Re: GMAT Tips, looking to improve to 700 range [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 07:20
You should do MGMAT's quant and GMat club's quant as they are harder than the real test. Practice with these problems will help you prepare for the difficult questions , leading to higher score.
What about your verbal? What books are you going to use? What section do you find difficult?

Kudos!!!... If you think I help you in some ways....

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Other, General Management
Schools: Goizueta '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.72
WE: Consulting (Hospitality and Tourism)

Re: GMAT Tips, looking to improve to 700 range [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 08:57
Thanks for the advice

I have been focusing mostly on math as that was initially my weak area. I feel like I have made improvements but there are still some areas where I can improve. I need to focus on verbal and it's concepts. I have just finished the manhattan verbal foundations book. I plan on reading the strategy guides for each verbal section and completing the og verbal book.

Every practice bank or exam I take I spend close to the same amount of time reviewing and seeing where and what types of questions I've missed but I had been finding it more difficult to find patterns in verbal than in quant

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: GMAT Tips, looking to improve to 700 range   [#permalink] 17 Apr 2012, 08:57