Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 04 Aug 2015, 10:39
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT, to be or not to be?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT, to be or not to be? [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2005, 11:40
I found a school that really fits what I can afford for my MBA. It's accredited school, Ellis NYIT, available for me to take the degree online and is within my price range. The do not require the GMAT though.
Is there a pro and con to taking the GMAT?
Even after I graduate, will saying I didn't take the GMAT affect me getting a higher position job compared to if it I did take it?

I am strongly considering going for this program at Ellis because it's exactly what I'm looking for.

I would like to hear the pros and cons though of the GMAT and how much of a heavier affect it may or may not have with me in the MBA program?

Thank you
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2005, 11:51
I think the GMAT has one purpose only: to get you admission to B-school. I've never heard of an employer after graduation asking for a GMAT score or having a problem with you if you didn't write it.

However, are you sure that the school that doesn't require the GMAT is really what you want? You spoke of affordability, which of course is a factor - but remember, there's a cost-benefit. Most of the time there's financial aid available. IMHO the question you should ask yourself isn't "can I afford it now?" but "will it let me accomplish my goals for the future", and choose a b-school accordingly.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2005, 13:23
coffeeloverfreak wrote:
I think the GMAT has one purpose only: to get you admission to B-school. I've never heard of an employer after graduation asking for a GMAT score or having a problem with you if you didn't write it.

However, are you sure that the school that doesn't require the GMAT is really what you want? You spoke of affordability, which of course is a factor - but remember, there's a cost-benefit. Most of the time there's financial aid available. IMHO the question you should ask yourself isn't "can I afford it now?" but "will it let me accomplish my goals for the future", and choose a b-school accordingly.

thank you CLF.
what is the difference between a B-school and another school, such as Walden University, University of Phoenix, compared to Marymount or Indiana University?
does the school truly matter though where I get my degree?

that is something I have considered but not sure what the difference is between a B-school and another school?

Thank you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2005, 16:45
An university usually has many schools - e.g. school of computing, school of arts and social sciences, etc. "B-sch" refers to the business school within the university. For MBAs, when people compare between universities, they are actually comparing between the B-schs within the universities.

"does the school truly matter though where I get my degree?"
Are you asking whether it matters where you get your MBA from? I think it does, to a certain extent. Different B-schs have different faculty, participants, alumni, reputation etc. These would affect one's learning experience and future network.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2005, 16:48
thank you very much for your feedback :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2005, 18:15
I think it matters a lot to some people and less to others. It depends on what your goals are after you graduate.

For example, if you want to stay with your current company but you just need the general business knowledge to get a promotion or improve your management skills, then it probably matters a lot less where you get your degree, and you're best off chosing a school that has courses that specialize in your field.

If you want to get hired by a top consulting or investment firm, then recruiting falls off sharply outside the ultra-elite schools. Then, a degree from Wharton or Harvard will mean a lot more than a degree from your neighbourhood MBA program. Of course, it's a lot harder to get in, and a lot more expensive... but the idea is, if you're going to go into one of those fields, the investment in the top program is worth it.

Remember, it's about a lot more than simply what you learn in class... it's also about the school branding, the companies who recruit graduates, and especially the networking opportunities. Your chances of success improve just by once having drank beer in a dorm room with future CEOs and executives. If you're planning on going into business for yourself, the connections you make at a top-tier school can be invaluable.

Also, geography matters. Outside the ultra-elites, many schools have strong regional reputations. If you want to build a career in the southwest, for example, going to school on the east coast is probably not a great idea.

Hopefully that gives you a broad overview... the rest is up to you.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 251 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2005, 23:33
coffeeloverfreak wrote:

As a matter of fact, next to all top tier IB ask for your gmat score in their application.

Best Regards,

Paul

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2005, 06:46
clf: thank you for your detailed feedback.
i was told the same thing last night by a friend as well.
i recieved my two previous degrees from a smaller university, and it sucks in a way that barely anyone has heard of the school.
i did want to apply to a more elite B-school but i'm frustrated about the gmat and very apprehensive. as much as i want to move up in a managerial position and have my own firm, i've never weighed too much on the school name...but the networking advantages are what i would like to gain.
i will take in consieration what you wrote and continue to ask around.

thank you once again