Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Apr 2014, 20:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT today 650 Q44 V35 overall 84th%

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
GMAT today 650 Q44 V35 overall 84th% [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2006, 14:18
I just got back from the test center. Okaaaay, from the bar on the way back from the test center, but I wanted to briefly share my experience today.

I am so incredibly surprised by my verbal score. Disappointed, obviously. I think this shares the sentiments of most people taking the test recently. The RC and CR were almost EXACTLY what I expected. IN FACT, I swear I saw exact questions that I had seen before. I will have to dig up the source in which I saw them ( It was a few CR questions). It is very possible that they used the same question but tweeked it slightly (ie. strengthen vs weaken). But this goes to show that one is best served by studying actual GMAT questions - OG, old paper tests and GMATPrep.

I thought the test was extremely similar to GMATPrep. I really think that the reason for my poor verbal score was SC. I think I did pretty well in CR and RC and will re-confirm what most people on this site are saying that the points to be won are in SC. They were EXTREMELY difficult for me. And MUCH harder than OG. I had about 90% hit rate in SC my first time through OG (timed). THe slight nuances in correct vs incorrect answer choices are VERY SLIGHT. I dont want to scare anyone about to take the test, it can definitely be beat. I think it is testing the intended meaning in addition to idiomatic expression versus the well publicized "rules" of SC. those are easy to memorize. I have a couple examples I'm going to post, once my brain settles. And, I am a native english speaker by the way.

More to come, I will give a full debriefing for those who care to learn about my study and test experience as a whole.

Also, does anyone know the difference between official and unofficial scores? I am assuming it is just a matter of verification.

I was hoping for better, around 700. My dream school is fuqua. I think I probably have a slim chance with this score and my somewhat unremarkable profile. I am contemplating retaking although I REALLY dont want to take this stupid thing again!!!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2006, 14:48
hey..

good score buddy.. i think fuqua you have a chance...

i had a similar experience too.. i think the meaning of the sentence is getting a higher priority in testing SC>....

i got a 29 on verbal.. so maybe I am not the correct judge on verbal..

but i think the placement of words in a sentence is getting a higher importance too..
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2006, 17:33
650 is a good score but I think u should try again .. since u know what went wrong in verbal .. it will be easier for you next time ,plus u can improve your quant score by couple of points .

We will wait for your debriefing. But you should not be disappointed . 650 plus strong application can get you in your dream school .

Good luck.
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2006, 17:59
650 is a pretty decent score. Good job!

You should do some research on Fuqua - check the average GMAT scores Now I also realize that GMAT is only one part of the puzzle and defenitely the only BLACK and WHITE part of the application. Consider your other parts of the application - experience, uniqueness of your profile, community service.. there are a lot of aspects that the Adcoms look at.
May be you should start the application/essays and if you realize that a 700+ GMAT is absolutely essential, got for the third try. FYI, I have read several stories of ppl with 640-680 GMAT getting admitted to Tuck, Wharton...

Good luck!

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."

- Bernard Edmonds

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2006, 21:56
Good score :-D All the best buddy!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Congrats [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2006, 06:38
Well congrats from a fellow Bostonian :) even though you are not pleased with your Verbal score overall it is a a very decent score. At any rate I will be taking the exam at the Pearson Center in Boston in exactly three weeks. Even though I need 550 to make it to the evening program that i am applying to i am still kind of nervous, I would really appreciate it if you can share yor experience abt the Boston testing Center and more importantly the actual exam itself... looks like the Quant difficulty is the same as GMATPrep is that true... also are the first few questions really crazy hard? since they are the important ones should we be spending more time on them but then what abt timing. Finally how did you deal with test anxiety, any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2006, 10:31
Very good score,

All the best for further .. :king
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2006, 14:47
I have gotten so much out of this forum, I’d like to provide my insights on the test with the hope that it could help someone else.

Salama-
I had a very pleasant experience at the Boston testing center. The people were very nice. The testing room was smaller than I expected, and the proctor (?) can easily see everyone at all times, should you need new pen or erasable boards. PM me if you have any additional questions.

All-
Do bring earplugs if you get distracted easily, people walk in and out of the testing room throughout your test.
Do test your pen before you even sit down to start the exam
Do NOT worry too much about the erasable notebook/markers. I actually liked the laminated grid paper, although I can certainly see how faulty pens and messy writers could have potential issue with the supplies. I made a point to get a new notebook b/w the quant and verbal section just to be safe.

Like I said before, there were really no surprises in terms of content or difficulty on the exam, except of course the SC portion. I think the best way to prepare for SC is not to practice quantity, but quality. It is far more important to understand sentence structure (duh) and grammar rules than to blow through tons of practice questions, somewhat grasping the concept of what “looks wrongâ€
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2006, 16:49
buckkitty thats a good score...and depending on your profile you may (or may not) need to take the test again. If you can, post your profile here and others can make suggestions. However, considering your verbal score in practice tests, I do see room for improvement in case you take it again! All the best and keep us posted with your progress ;)

I believe its yogurt!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2006, 06:39
All-
I am including my profile, all thoughts and opinions are welcome, in light of my recent GMAT score of 650, what do you think about my chances at the following schools (and/or others) - Georgetown, UNC, Duke, UVA?

28 y/o female (29 at matriculation)

Undergrad:
University of Delaware, Finance major
GPA 3.04 Major GPA (in Business classes) 3.3
My GPA was an abysmal 2.5 freshman year, due to some family issues and frankly, immaturity. I consistently raised my grades throughout the 4 years and made Deans List a number of times.

Work Experience:
2.5 years at a large financial services company in an analyst position, for a fixed income custody role.
1.5 years at a financial services/Rating Agency institution in a highly quantitative fixed income modeling role. I was laid off from this position after the company sold off the guts of our division. The lay-off was group-wide.
Currently a little over 1 yr at a software company that does risk management in the banking industry, in a product manager role, primarily focusing on providing risk solutions and market direction for our product.

Extracurrics
I am involved in the local Habitat for Humanity chapter in a committee role. I have actively been involed in the org and am in a leadership position on an ongoing project.
Marathon runner and triathlete- I have completed 7 marathons and now have the triathlon bug as well :wink:
Was a Big Sister mentor for 2 years in school based mentoring program for inner city children.
I belong to a large professional women's organization in Boston which is a part of the larger parent org of National Association of Female Executives. I am on the social committee.

I'm still working on my long term goals. Of importance to me in school selection include a program strong in finance, general management and international exposure is also a bonus.

Your thoughts are welcome!!! THANKS!
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2006, 07:23
Hey buckkitty,
First of all, this is a very good score... I know you were aiming higher, but anywhere in the 80s percentile and above is a very good score.
Although it seems like you are not too happy with the score, I would like to echo what a lot of people have already said and you might already know : GMAT scores aren't the whole package. I don't know a lot about the schools you are applying to but keep that point in mind. Looking at your profile you have shown consistent improvement in performance throughout. That stands out as an asset. That by itself is a key strong point on you app. And looking at all your other credentials related to extra-currics/mentorship programs and the long distance make a very strong package for any school. GMAT isn't the last word on someone's credentials!
Keep the spirits up and look at it logically than emotionally. Thats my 2 cents.

Good luck with the apps.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 236

Kudos [?]: 1478 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2006, 10:25
Great score. Good background I think too. Congrats :)
  [#permalink] 19 Jun 2006, 10:25