Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 17:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT TODAY, GOING FOR IT, DEBRIEF TO FOLLOW TN

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Affiliations: VFW, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, West Point Association of Graduates
Schools: Wharton Class of 2013
WE 1: Army Ranger / Infantry Platoon Leader Operation Iraqi Freedom (2 yrs)
WE 2: Company Executive Officer (1 yr)
WE 3: Company Commander (2 yrs)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 75

GMAT Tests User
GMAT TODAY, GOING FOR IT, DEBRIEF TO FOLLOW TN [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 07:06
I am a military guy, and heading in today to retake the GMAT.

In my initial attempt, I made some typical military guy mistakes. What I mean by this is that the Army is always about quantifiable stats such as how fast did you run those 2 miles, how many targets did you hit etc.

So the first time, I focused most of my attention on taking CAT tests, all the free ones, Manhattan Review, and Veritas (the free one) I never did extremely well, usually in the 600-690 range.

I ended the day with a 650, which was in my range. I was still upset because I am a career changer after 5 years as an Army Ranger and deployments etc. I have the intangibles but def want to go to a top 15 B-school.

I found this club after looking for advice after my first tests and devised a new strategy after taking 4-5 days off from the test.

I purchased Manhattan GMAT Sectence Correction and Number Properties. I knew I was capable of a much higher score than a 33 on Verbal. Verbal had been my strong suite and I made the mistake of only focusing on my weakness math prior to test day.

I went through Manhattan SC and wrote down notes in my notebook for each chapter. I then typed out all the notes to reinfroce what I learned. I also printed out and out on the GMATprep SC document available on this forum.

For Math, I knew my weakness was Number Properties (Total factors, trailing zeros, etc.) that kept me at a 45 the first time. My goal is a 47 Q today.

I also did the free GMATclub math test.

After I reviewed all the basics I took MGMAT Tests and scored a 650, 720,710, 720, 720. Each Time I would score between 42-45 on Verbal and 43-46 on Q. I realized I hit a wall but I was happy in my range. I reviewed every mistake after each test. I also looked up how work out each problem here through Bunuel's amazing forum.

I then took my two GMAT Prep and scored a 700 and a 730.

Today, I am going in and hoping for the best. I used this morning for some ligh review of topics, etc. I scoreda 6 on my AWA last time and just did all my essays for Penn and Yale so I am confident in my organizing and writing going in.

I want to thank this forum, we will see how my test pans out. I am taking it at 1430 or um 2:30 pm haha. I have to drive up to Atlanta (90 min) from Columbus, GA (Fort Benning).

I just wanted to type this and get out any last minute jitters. I have faith in my abilities. My goal is to score at least a 38 V and a 46 Q so I can get in the 680-720 range.

Updated debrief will follow tonight, after I get out of this beast.

Good luck to everyone, and it is sad I am more nervous for this then going over high value terrorists in Iraq. But that is the nature of the beast I guess, it takes you out of your comfort zone.

Ryan, Army Ranger and GMAT wannabe
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Status: it won't happen in one day but it'll happen one day
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: GMAT TODAY, GOING FOR IT, DEBRIEF TO FOLLOW TN [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 07:23
All the best........you'd do well .

Life is all about ass; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or behaving like one.

Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1978

Kudos [?]: 6402 [0], given: 3564

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT TODAY, GOING FOR IT, DEBRIEF TO FOLLOW TN [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 07:45
Expert's post
Good Luck! Based on your experience, you should have enough dedication to take care of this one.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Retired Moderator
Followers: 94

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT TODAY, GOING FOR IT, DEBRIEF TO FOLLOW TN [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 09:59
Your story reminds me another story that I read few days back "My Story: From an Army Ranger in Iraq to Harvard". Check out at http://poetsandquants.com/2010/08/18/my ... o-harvard/

Anyhow, good luck..

RC videos rc-through-videos-99566.html
CR videos cr-through-videos-99033.html
SC videos sc-through-videos-98340.html
Quant videos quant-through-videos-102525.html

Tuck Thread Master
Schools: Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 69

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT TODAY, GOING FOR IT, DEBRIEF TO FOLLOW TN [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 11:22
Well - good luck!!! It seems to me, that you've committed a lot of energy and time to GMAT - you should succeed
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: U.S. Navy
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GMAT 1: 600 Q41 V32
GPA: 3.33
WE: Underwriter (Health Care)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT TODAY, GOING FOR IT, DEBRIEF TO FOLLOW TN [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 12:40
Good luck! I'm sure you'll be able to pull off a 700+ on your second try. You were already close, so I'm sure you'll get it this time. I'm currently in the military (Navy enlisted), and am studying for the GMAT. I plan on taking it sometime in December. Looking forward to the debrief.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT TODAY, GOING FOR IT, DEBRIEF TO FOLLOW TN [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 12:50
good luck!!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 53

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT TODAY, GOING FOR IT, DEBRIEF TO FOLLOW TN [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 17:05
Womiwom wrote:
Good luck! I'm sure you'll be able to pull off a 700+ on your second try. You were already close, so I'm sure you'll get it this time. I'm currently in the military (Navy enlisted), and am studying for the GMAT. I plan on taking it sometime in December. Looking forward to the debrief.

wp06 and Womiwom,

Both of you remind me of this instructor I read about on the Manhattan GMAT site - Neil Hwang. He served in Iraq, still found the time to study and scored on the 99th percentile on the GMAT!

http://www.manhattangmat.com/gmat-prep- ... -hwang.cfm

All the best guys

If you like my post please click +1 kudos on my profile - Thank you!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Losing Motivation? Michael Jordan | Nick Vujicic | Adversity
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: U.S. Navy
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GMAT 1: 600 Q41 V32
GPA: 3.33
WE: Underwriter (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT TODAY, GOING FOR IT, DEBRIEF TO FOLLOW TN [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 17:17
akaydee wrote:
Womiwom wrote:

wp06 and Womiwom,

Both of you remind me of this instructor I read about on the Manhattan GMAT site - Neil Hwang. He served in Iraq, still found the time to study and scored on the 99th percentile on the GMAT!

http://www.manhattangmat.com/gmat-prep- ... -hwang.cfm

All the best guys

Akaydee,

Thanks, but I wouldn't compare me to the instructor until after I score in the 99th percentile. It would be nice, but I'd be happy with a 700. I've seen that a lot of members on here have thanked you for your insight/advice. Hopefully you'll share some of that advice with me in the future.
Re: GMAT TODAY, GOING FOR IT, DEBRIEF TO FOLLOW TN   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2010, 17:17