Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 04:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT tomorrow

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 2

GMAT tomorrow [#permalink] New post 17 May 2012, 15:40
This post received
KUDOS
So, I'm scheduled to take my second attempt at the GMAT tomorrow at 10:30am. My first attempt was back in November, and I figured that trying again before the GMAT changes was my best bet. Ohhhh... could that be further from the truth (in my situation, anyway).

I initially scheduled my second attempt for February, leaving me enough time for a third attempt before the change if I needed it. Then, life got in the way. My father had a stroke in February, and since I was the only one that had lots of free time (jobless right now), I was appointed as my father's main caretaker - making sure he ate one time, took his medications, and took him out on day trips. He wasn't severely impacted by the stroke - he only lost partial vision in his right eye. However, he was so depressed. So, I rescheduled for May.

My father's health suddenly took a turn for the worse in March... issues totally unrelated to the stroke a month prior. He went to the Emergency Room complaining of abdominal pain... and less than 2 days later, passed away from severe septic shock. The cause is still unknown.

I haven't been able to study properly since my father passed away. I studied a lot for my first attempt, but since my father's stroke, I haven't even been able to touch a prep book. I sit at my desk for hours, with my books open, but whatever I try to read or absorb - it just disappears.

I don't really know what to do. I know I'm incredibly unprepared for tomorrow. I doubt I will get a score much higher (if higher at all). But, I figure I'll at least try, and worst case scenario, retake again in a few months.

By the way, my first attempt was a 610 (Q44 V31 AWA6.0). My goal score is above 700. Tomorrow, if I do worse, should I cancel my score on the spot? Or will schools look unfavorably upon self-cancelled scores at the same level as getting a low score reported?

*sigh*
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT tomorrow [#permalink] New post 18 May 2012, 01:45
I don't know the totality of your situation, obviously.

But this goes to show that there are things far, far more important than a person's GMAT performance.

Whatever happens, you're a grand individual for your sacrifices for your father. Whether you were expected to do what you did is irrelevant. You did it, you were there when someone needed you.

Sure, that really will help you little in getting into the business school you want. You've already shown your value by your actions in the last few months, though. Whether you score 750+ or you tank it, you've already proven you're an individual of great worth for society.
Re: GMAT tomorrow   [#permalink] 18 May 2012, 01:45