Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 18:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Tomorrow... may reschedule. Please advise

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Northwestern, Booth, Duke, Berkley, Stanford, Harvard, IMD, IESE,
WE 1: Business Development with top IT Outsourcing and Consulting firm (Fortune 10 Company)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
GMAT Tomorrow... may reschedule. Please advise [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 13:40
So I'm in a bit of a predicament right now, as I have the GMAT scheduled for tomorrow but I'm thinking another week of studying could really pay off. I already took the test once, getting a 700, but I decided that I would take Knewton's offer of "Increase your score by 50 points guaranteed!". My original score was very high verbal and mediocre in quant, so I wanted to get that quant up. In the end, the Knewton course has failed miserably at that and is clearly not tiered towards the 700 test taker.

So, I've spent the last week really cramming in on more advanced concepts such as probabilities, combinations/permutations, and number properties. This has helped, but it seems that I'm now missing some of the questions that I had complete rhythm on in the past, and my timing is not up to speed. On my Knewton CATs, I'm generally scoring around 670-700 (though on two exams this week I got 610s... this inconsistency is another reason I haven't been a fan of Knewton) and on my GMAT Prep I've gotten a 700 and a 710. CLEARLY, I haven't improved that much.

SO, my question to all of you GMAT and admission's pros out there is, should I just take the test tomorrow, maybe get lucky and score well (I know I already did well, but I'd like to get my score to at least 730), or just cough up the $250, study for a few more weeks, and go in knowing that I'll dominate the test?

If I don't improve, how much will that hurt my chances? Is is worth just waiting until I can guarantee myself a higher score?

Also, suggestions on what to study would be a great help!
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Tomorrow... may reschedule. Please advise [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 13:51
there is no concept for reschedule this close.. you lose the 250$ and start over..

Consider kudos, they are good for health

Intern
Intern
Schools: Northwestern, Booth, Duke, Berkley, Stanford, Harvard, IMD, IESE,
WE 1: Business Development with top IT Outsourcing and Consulting firm (Fortune 10 Company)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Tomorrow... may reschedule. Please advise [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 14:23
Did you read my post? I need to improve, which I haven't... so why would I take the test now?

How would I be starting over?
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Tomorrow... may reschedule. Please advise [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 14:39
well if you are not feeling confident a day before the test then I doubt what people say here would make any difference.. The thing is you have to decide whether you want to take a chance or let go of the 250$ and try again.. Also depends on when are you applying? R2 or next year? It is not clear. My point is that this close to the test day suggestions here would not matter. It is what you think you need to do.. And how much better can you get from the 700 you already have.

Consider kudos, they are good for health

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 27

Re: GMAT Tomorrow... may reschedule. Please advise [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 14:43
tarn151 wrote:
Did you read my post? I need to improve, which I haven't... so why would I take the test now?

Why you might do well to cancel: I was in a similar boat with weak quant / strong verbal skills, scoring 99th percentile verbal out of the gate. I think that such individuals are in the best possible position, as the quant can be quickly learned. Verbal, not so much.

I'd suggest that you sign up for a Manhattan GMAT course (if you have the time) or at the very least buy their quant books and work through them. The course didn't teach me anything; I learned all of the material from the books. But the course did help me stay on track and get through all of the material.

I took the 9 week class, took an additional three weeks to study, never touched one of the verbal books, and scored a 770 on my first and only attempt.

But then, the GMAT is only one component of the application. If you've already scored 700 you may be ok.
1 KUDOS received
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 1390 [1] , given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Tomorrow... may reschedule. Please advise [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 15:05
This post received
KUDOS
tarn151 wrote:
So I'm in a bit of a predicament right now, as I have the GMAT scheduled for tomorrow but I'm thinking another week of studying could really pay off. I already took the test once, getting a 700, but I decided that I would take Knewton's offer of "Increase your score by 50 points guaranteed!". My original score was very high verbal and mediocre in quant, so I wanted to get that quant up. In the end, the Knewton course has failed miserably at that and is clearly not tiered towards the 700 test taker.

So, I've spent the last week really cramming in on more advanced concepts such as probabilities, combinations/permutations, and number properties. This has helped, but it seems that I'm now missing some of the questions that I had complete rhythm on in the past, and my timing is not up to speed. On my Knewton CATs, I'm generally scoring around 670-700 (though on two exams this week I got 610s... this inconsistency is another reason I haven't been a fan of Knewton) and on my GMAT Prep I've gotten a 700 and a 710. CLEARLY, I haven't improved that much.

SO, my question to all of you GMAT and admission's pros out there is, should I just take the test tomorrow, maybe get lucky and score well (I know I already did well, but I'd like to get my score to at least 730), or just cough up the $250, study for a few more weeks, and go in knowing that I'll dominate the test?

If I don't improve, how much will that hurt my chances? Is is worth just waiting until I can guarantee myself a higher score?

Also, suggestions on what to study would be a great help!

What was your original split when you scored the 700? If you had a 80-80 percentile split, then the first one was good enough and you retaking could be potentially negative if you end up scoring lower than what you did. But having said that, if you're not confident about taking the test, why take it? Never take the test when you're not ready, especially if you have the resources (time, money, preparation materials) to take it at a later date when you might feel prepared. As for improving your Math score, depending on where it originally was (Assuming a 44-45, and you want to bring it up to a 48-49) I'd suggest going over the MGMAT Quant Guides. Especially the Number Properties one.

Quote:

On yet another note, it would ALWAYS do well to be a bit more polite when you're addressing someone who's trying to help you, and not accusatory.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2267

Kudos [?]: 8730 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Tomorrow... may reschedule. Please advise [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 15:12
Expert's post
I WOULD NOT RESCHEDULE. There is no value in rescheduling. You lose the entire $250 and there is no penalty from Adcoms if you get multiple GMAT Scores that may be lower...

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: GMAT Tomorrow... may reschedule. Please advise   [#permalink] 22 Dec 2010, 15:12