Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 20:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Interactive comparison tool - How did I do on the GMAT?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
14 KUDOS received
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 155

Kudos [?]: 511 [14] , given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Interactive comparison tool - How did I do on the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 04:04
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi all,

I have recently found this Interactive GMAT Comparison Tool on the GMAC web-site interesting.

You may compare your performance to the performance of other GMAT test-takers per different categories/countries.

So, for example if you are aspiring MBA candidate from India or China at the age of 26 you may see how well other guys in that category perform and what is your percentile in peer group.
You may discover also that women on average perform better than men ...but up to 540 score and then men are performing better. Girls but don't be disspointed so much. :)

Only the major categories are presented.

See example of verbal % for test-takers from USA, India and China.
Attachment:
2011-02-15_163004.png
2011-02-15_163004.png [ 70.28 KiB | Viewed 13043 times ]

Here you may see how Chinese and Indian test-takers perform if compared to all MBA applicants.
Guys you are math wizards :)
Attachment:
s.png
s.png [ 51.14 KiB | Viewed 13019 times ]

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Interactive comparison tool - How did I do on the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 04:25
Cook man :D I'll check it out... Lemme see how many of me country me are smarter than moi ;)

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Manager
Manager
Schools: Tepper Class of 2013
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 24

Re: Interactive comparison tool - How did I do on the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 04:27
Pkit wrote:
Hi all,

I have recently found this (click) tool on the GMAC web-site interesting.

You may compare your performance to the performance of other GMAT test-takers per different categories/countries.

So, for example if you are aspiring MBA candidate from India or China at the age of 26 you may see how well other guys in that category perform and what is your percentile in peer group.
You may discover also that women on average perform better than men ...but up to 540 score and then men are performing better. Girls but don't be disspointed so much. :)

Only the major categories are presented.

As a 31+ woman from Western Europe/US with 760, I'd like to thank you for the morning ego-boost! :)

Now, more seriously, it was very interesting to look at the distributions for various countries, especially for the Quant.
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Interactive comparison tool - How did I do on the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 04:36
Results:

My GMAT scores were:

Total - 650 (79 %ile)
Quant - 44 (65 %ile)
Verbal - 37 (80 %ile)
AWA - 5 (56%ile)
Now among Indians who wrote the test, the corresponding percentile scores are:
Total - 69 (-10 percentage points)
Quant - 53 (-12 percentage points)
Verbal - 83 (+3 percentage points)
AWA - 45 (-11 percentage points)

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

BSchool Thread Master
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 76

GMAT Tests User
Re: Interactive comparison tool - How did I do on the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2011, 09:34
Nice tool!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Interactive comparison tool - How did I do on the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2011, 23:39
Interesting data. Thanks for the site.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Interactive comparison tool - How did I do on the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 13:01
very interesting... thanks for sharing the link!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 115

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Interactive comparison tool - How did I do on the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 19:02
That was interesting! Looks like test-takers from some countries(India , China) perform much higher than GMAT averages
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Interactive comparison tool - How did I do on the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 08:50
More competitive in bay area full of us :(

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: Interactive comparison tool - How did I do on the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 19:31
American schools need to learn how to teach math....so sad here
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas Darden Ross Booth Sloan (that's right, HDRBS)

Kudos [?]: 22 [4] , given: 5

Re: Interactive comparison tool - How did I do on the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 20:41
This post received
KUDOS
abmyers wrote:

Couple reasons this conclusion might not be warranted:

1. Foreign GMAT "writers" probably know they cannot hope to compete on verbal, and focus a ton of studying on math.

2. Selection bias. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that the Indians and Chinese who take the test are smarter relative to their respective populations than the average American GMAT taker is to his. In other words, you dip further down into the American intelligence pool simply because you have more Americans taking the test.

In 2010, for example:

China had 22,178 GMAT takers from a population of 1.3B
America had 151,252 from 300MM, about 30x per capita more.

Furthermore, imposing a $250 fee on a poor(er) country keeps a lot of weak math people out of the test. GDP/capita is $50K in the US, $7K in China. Imagine what American scores would be if the test were ~5x more expensive? How much harder would you study if the test were $1,250, and you knew you'd have to pay again that to take it again? If you dare to correlate financial success with math smarts, the argument gets even more compelling.

I'm just spitballing some half baked ideas, but it's interesting stuff to think about and discuss.

PS, where did my thread from earlier go?

The end is only the beginning.

1 KUDOS received
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 511 [1] , given: 527

Re: Interactive comparison tool - How did I do on the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 20:48
This post received
KUDOS
BabyBeagle wrote:
abmyers wrote:

I'm just spitballing some half baked ideas, but it's interesting stuff to think about and discuss.

I would completly agree with you in respect of first reason. I am a non-native and for me it is more easier to increase math than verbal.

For the second arument, however a contrargument may be that: "americans having more money have a better access to high quality materials and teachers, and thus must have higher scores".

Audaces fortuna juvat!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas Darden Ross Booth Sloan (that's right, HDRBS)

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 5

Re: Interactive comparison tool - How did I do on the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 21:29
This post received
KUDOS
Pkit wrote:
For the second arument, however a contrargument may be that: "americans having more money have a better access to high quality materials and teachers, and thus must have higher scores".

That's a great argument. It took me a while to wrap my head around it, but it does speak to the resource advantage of prosperity overcoming the lack of motivation that same prosperity may engender.

Like I said...half-baked. This could be a fun game of "find the flaws." I still think that America's educational system does not fully explain the difference in math scores, though I do think it plays a part. We also have very soft parents who do not push us as hard as non-american parents do.

The Chinese Mothers controversy illuminated a consequence of this type of parenting for me, something that I had always suspected. Academic success, particularly success on a quantitative test, comes from attitude, and the confidence (or maybe even conceit) that one can do anything - that all intellectual aptitude is within reach and no concept out of grasp. Being pushed as a kid to excel academically, although it can turn you into a social retard, forces you to find that aptitude within yourself or else be made to feel inadequate. In turn, you never end up thinking, "I'm not good at math."

The end is only the beginning.

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 511 [0], given: 527

Re: Interactive comparison tool - How did I do on the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 10:50
BabyBeagle wrote:
Pkit wrote:

That's a great argument. It took me a while to wrap my head around it, but it does speak to the resource advantage of prosperity overcoming the lack of motivation that same prosperity may engender.

Like I said...half-baked. This could be a fun game of "find the flaws." I still think that America's educational system does not fully explain the difference in math scores, though I do think it plays a part. We also have very soft parents who do not push us as hard as non-american parents do.

The Chinese Mothers controversy illuminated a consequence of this type of parenting for me, something that I had always suspected. Academic success, particularly success on a quantitative test, comes from attitude, and the confidence (or maybe even conceit) that one can do anything - that all intellectual aptitude is within reach and no concept out of grasp. Being pushed as a kid to excel academically, although it can turn you into a social retard, forces you to find that aptitude within yourself or else be made to feel inadequate. In turn, you never end up thinking, "I'm not good at math."

This time I would agree with you :)

Audaces fortuna juvat!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: University of Tehran
Grad GPA: 4
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Boston U
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Retail)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: Interactive comparison tool - How did I do on the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2011, 10:00
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks Pkit, what a good tool. I just understood that my 35 V on my first CAT attempt with no practice is not a bad score. 2nd, I understood best time for GMAT is 25-30.Thanks God I'm 25 now :)

Yes, Yes, Competition is unfair. My score of, say, 650, well equals and American's 700. At least, they don't have to travel to a foreign country just to take the test. I have to. Poor me :(

Ambition, Motivation and Determination: the three "tion"s that lead to PERFECTION.

World! Respect Iran and Iranians as they respect you! Leave the governments with their own.

2 KUDOS received
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 1394 [2] , given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Interactive comparison tool - How did I do on the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2011, 15:49
This post received
KUDOS
BabyBeagle wrote:
abmyers wrote:

1. Foreign GMAT "writers" probably know they cannot hope to compete on verbal, and focus a ton of studying on math.

2. Selection bias. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that the Indians and Chinese who take the test are smarter relative to their respective populations than the average American GMAT taker is to his. In other words, you dip further down into the American intelligence pool simply because you have more Americans taking the test.

In 2010, for example:

China had 22,178 GMAT takers from a population of 1.3B
America had 151,252 from 300MM, about 30x per capita more.

Furthermore, imposing a $250 fee on a poor(er) country keeps a lot of weak math people out of the test. GDP/capita is $50K in the US, $7K in China. Imagine what American scores would be if the test were ~5x more expensive? How much harder would you study if the test were $1,250, and you knew you'd have to pay again that to take it again? If you dare to correlate financial success with math smarts, the argument gets even more compelling.

This is right to a great extent. Though I live in the US, I come from a country that is known for its notoriety for these hard-core exams that make people suicidal. And I think I should add one more point to this discussion - math education in the US is very different from the math education in countries like India or China. There is more emphasis on people learning what they want to learn rather than force feeding everyone to go into Engineering. Another point is that a larger majority of the people who try to take the GMAT in India or perhaps even China come from a technical background wanting to switch into a business background or gain some ground by raising in the ranks through the acquisition of an MBA. This biases the criteria so badly.

Needless to say, this debate between native and non-native speakers is to no end. Speaking in English everyday gives the native speakers an edge while a large majority of technical test-takers gives a math advantage to the non-natives. There really is no point complaining that America should teach "better" math or that Indians should learn better "English" - it really is a matter of leveraging your own skill set and sucking it up when you know you suck at something and just studying. And mind you, there are exceptions to this rule everywhere.
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 1394 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Interactive comparison tool - How did I do on the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2011, 15:51
saeedt wrote:
Yes, Yes, Competition is unfair. My score of, say, 650, well equals and American's 700. At least, they don't have to travel to a foreign country just to take the test. I have to. Poor me :(

No, I don't think it is unfair at all. You want to come to their country to study, so you play by their rules. It's all a matter of choice innit?

Oh and before I get hounded by criticism, I am not an American national. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 115

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Interactive comparison tool - How did I do on the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2011, 16:44
Fair or unfair, that's how the test is!! And there can be endless debates on the education system of any country.
I agree with Whiplash here, if one has to go to a particular country, the rules of that country have to be followed....oh,well, neither am I an american national :D
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: University of Tehran
Grad GPA: 4
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Boston U
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Retail)

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: Interactive comparison tool - How did I do on the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2011, 08:41
whiplash2411 and heygirl,

It seems we are building a conversation on a wrong premise. I didn't say that following rules of US schools is unfair. Sure when I accept to study there, I also accept to act according to their rules. It's obvious. If those rules were wrong, US weren't the leader in education now! what I said is unfair is Iranian's applicants' restrictions. Most of the books are not available here and we should travel abroad to take GMAT, too. While a Chinese, for example, takes a taxi and arrives at test center in half an hour, I should spoil several couples of my precious near-exam time traveling abroad. Will I be able to sleep enough the night before the exam there? Won't I get lost and arrive late at exam? Won't I be mugged or any other unpleasant event just before the exam? I think it's enough to say the result of such people like Iranians are biased.

Ambition, Motivation and Determination: the three "tion"s that lead to PERFECTION.

World! Respect Iran and Iranians as they respect you! Leave the governments with their own.

Manager
Manager
Status: Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Schools: Texas A&M - Mays; PennState - Smeal; Purdue - Krannert; JohnsHopkins - Carey; Vanderbilt - Owen; WakeForest - Babcock; UBC - Sauder
WE 1: Financial Analyst/Financial Management Trainer - BRAC Afghanistan - 13 months
WE 2: Business Proposal Coordinator - MiDS, Inc. (in Kabul, Afghanistan) - 4 Months (did quit the job bcoz of security concerns)
WE 3: Readers For Readers (A Social Impact Generating Organization) - Co-Founder

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 136

Re: Interactive comparison tool - How did I do on the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 13 May 2011, 20:25
This is an awesome tool. Thanks for sharing it with us, Pkit!

+1
Re: Interactive comparison tool - How did I do on the GMAT?   [#permalink] 13 May 2011, 20:25