Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2946 [9]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: IT, Finance, Marketing, Business
Schools:Boston College, MIT, BU, IIM, UCLA, Babson, Brown
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Re: GMAT Trick on percentage [#permalink]
Yes. I used the exact same strategy.

x/100 * 16000 = 6.4

as x% of 16000 is equal to 6.4 and therefore to find x using this algebraic equation is x = (6.4/16000) * 100 = 0.04
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Send PM
Hi Brian,

I thinik my problem is to understand exactly what was asked. In the first case, "6.4 is what percent of 16,000"? the official answer is 0.04%. In the second question, 6.4 is x percent of 16,000? what is x? the answer to the second question is 4%. I think the first question is not clear as to what it was asking. if what percent means x%, is it asking for the x%, or is it asking for the x? Do I make sense?

0.004%
0.04%
0.4%
4%
4.4%'
Own Kudos [?]: 2946 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey yufenshi,

I hear you - and that's where I think the "language of math" example is so important. Those two questions are EXACTLY the same. Let's look at it with smaller, easier to digest numbers:

4 is what percent of 16?

vs.

4 is x percent of 16? What is x?

Well, we know that 4 is 25% of 16, so the first answer is clearly 25.

The second asks the same thing: 4 = x/100 * 16
So multiply both sides by 100 to get rid of the denominator to get: 400 = x * 16
Divide both sides by a common 4 to get: 100 = x * 4
Divide by 4 again to finish the job: 25 = x

Because the original question asks "what percent" we're already solving for the integer that goes next to the % symbol so we don't need to multiply (or divide) by 100...we've already accounted for the fact that it's a percentage, so the answer is 25%.

In your two questions, the only difference is that #2 replaces the word "what" with the variable "x". But that's just algebra - that's how we solve for something by taking the question "what" and turning it into a variable:

What plus two is 4?
x + 2 = 4

The question you're asking - "what" - is the variable.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi, Brian,

I am confused:
4 is what percent of 16?
"Well, we know that 4 is 25% of 16, so the first answer is clearly 25."

Thought it should be 25%?
Send PM
Expert Reply
Yes, but either works because we're already talking about percent. Percent is a unit of measure, is one way to think about it.

If I asked:

I'll pay you $20 and hour for two hours of work, how many dollars will it cost?

You could say: 40. And you'd be right because I asked in terms of dollars.

Or you could say: 40 dollars. And you're still right, because you're using the correct term of measure.

Either works, even though 40 dollars is 4000 cents or 42.75 in Canadian dollars or 32 British pounds (or whatever the exchange rates are nowadays). If the question is in terms of dollars, you can answer with just the number or you can clarify by including the units.

Now, with percents, as with dollars and cents, it's important to make sure that you're carrying the right units, as taking 10% of y doesn't mean you multiply it by 10 - you actually multiply by 10/100. But as long as you track whether you're within the proper units you can answer that question above as 25 (because the question already asked for "what percent" or you could tack on the % symbol to repeat the question and say "25%".

Does that help? I like that you're being careful with those units...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Brian,

Thanks for the explanation, but no. I don't understand.

for the question " 6.4 is what percent of 16,000? "
0.004%
0.04%
0.4%
4%
4.4%'

In asking "what percent", the answer can't be both 0.04% and 4%. I need to understand by "what percent", they were asking for the x% (in this case, it is equal to 0.04%), or merely the x in front of the percent (in this case, it would be 4%, or 0.04).
Send PM
Expert Reply
Like I said, it's the same exact question in each form you asked it originally. 6.4 is 0.04% of 16,000 so the answer is 0.04%.

The GMAT won't ask you to take a percent of a percent as your answer. If they ask "10 is what percent of 100?", the correct answer will be listed as 10% (and not 1000% under the assumption that you'll divide by 100 because of the word "percent").

Do you have the Official Guide 12th edition? If so, please check the following page/problem numbers for evidence of how they list answers in this way:

p. 184, #223
p. 184, #220
p. 179, #187
p. 169, #124
p. 168, #115
p. 167, #109
p. 164, #111

The answer choices each include the percent symbol as does the question, but only to indicate that "percent" is the unit.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: IT, Finance, Marketing, Business
Schools:Boston College, MIT, BU, IIM, UCLA, Babson, Brown
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Oh. Thanks for the useful info and the questions. Now I can practice those questions as well.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92914 posts