Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Dec 2014, 19:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Tuesdays: SC – Antecedents, Possessives, and Pronouns

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tuesdays: SC – Antecedents, Possessives, and Pronouns [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2014, 10:24
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Howdy!

In this weeks video, I cover an important concept tested in Sentence Correction on the GMAT. I enlist Tolstoy to help illustrate what you need to know about antecedents and possessive pronouns. This is subtle trap that pops up on a lot of questions. But what's nice is that once you know what to look for, it is easy to identify and avoid these problematic constructions. :)

I hope that you find the tips useful. If you have any questions or comments, don't hesitate to reach out.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kevin Rocci
Magoosh Test Prep

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Tuesdays: SC – Antecedents, Possessives, and Pronouns [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2014, 11:37
KevinRocci wrote:
Howdy!

In this weeks video, I cover an important concept tested in Sentence Correction on the GMAT. I enlist Tolstoy to help illustrate what you need to know about antecedents and possessive pronouns. This is subtle trap that pops up on a lot of questions. But what's nice is that once you know what to look for, it is easy to identify and avoid these problematic constructions. :)

I hope that you find the tips useful. If you have any questions or comments, don't hesitate to reach out.

Thanks for the video. In light of this, I am having trouble understanding how the following is correct:

Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta effigies left by supplicants who were either asking the goddess Bona Dea's aid in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help.

There is no "Bona Dea" mentioned in the sentence, so, "her" (object pronoun) should have been incorrect here.

Can you please explain.
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Re: GMAT Tuesdays: SC – Antecedents, Possessives, and Pronouns [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2014, 12:21
Expert's post
saumya12 wrote:
Thanks for the video. In light of this, I am having trouble understanding how the following is correct:

Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta effigies left by supplicants who were either asking the goddess Bona Dea's aid in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help.

There is no "Bona Dea" mentioned in the sentence, so, "her" (object pronoun) should have been incorrect here.

Can you please explain.

As far as I can tell this sentence is not correct and does not follow the rules that I pointed out in the video. Where did this sentence come from? If this is not from a reputable source, like GMAT Prep or the Official Guide to the GMAT, then this might be a flawed question. This mistake would not occur on the GMAT. If this did in fact come from the materials published by the GMAC, then I would check the wording of the sentence or check the answer to make sure this is actually the correct answer.

I would write the sentence as follows to correct the error:

"Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta effigies left by supplicants who were either asking the goddess Bona Dea to aid in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help."

Let me know where the question came from and I'll be able to be more helpful! :)

Kevin Rocci
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Tuesdays: SC – Antecedents, Possessives, and Pronouns [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2014, 18:42
KevinRocci wrote:
As far as I can tell this sentence is not correct and does not follow the rules that I pointed out in the video. Where did this sentence come from? If this is not from a reputable source, like GMAT Prep or the Official Guide to the GMAT, then this might be a flawed question. This mistake would not occur on the GMAT.

Hi Kevin, this is from OG13. However, can you please also check it at your end. Perhaps I am missing something.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 81 [1] , given: 26

Re: GMAT Tuesdays: SC – Antecedents, Possessives, and Pronouns [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2014, 10:08
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
saumya12 wrote:
Hi Kevin, this is from OG13. However, can you please also check it at your end. Perhaps I am missing something.

Hi Saumya,

So I was able to locate this sentence in OG13 question 109. The OG does confirm that answer choice A is correct, which I found perplexing at first, but after speaking with my colleague, I can see why it is actually and acceptable answer.

The only time that you can have a possessive noun as an antecedent is when the pronoun is possessive. In this sentence, it is acceptable to use "her" but would be unacceptable to use "she."

This is something I did not mention in the video and I am glad that you asked this question so that it is clear. :)

Happy Studying!

Kevin Rocci
Magoosh Test Prep

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 1

Re: GMAT Tuesdays: SC – Antecedents, Possessives, and Pronouns [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2014, 12:33
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks for clarifying this Kevin. I always find your posts and videos to be very helpful.
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Re: GMAT Tuesdays: SC – Antecedents, Possessives, and Pronouns [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2014, 16:01
Expert's post
Happy to help! Let me know if you want me to cover a specific topic in an upcoming video. :)

Kevin Rocci
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Tuesdays: SC – Antecedents, Possessives, and Pronouns [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2014, 21:33
Hello Kevin, I always have problems in comparison (especially those involving ellipsis). It would be excellent if you could cover that in one of your videos.

If you already have a video on that, please point me to that. Really appreciate.
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Re: GMAT Tuesdays: SC – Antecedents, Possessives, and Pronouns [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2014, 09:37
Expert's post
saumya12 wrote:
Hello Kevin, I always have problems in comparison (especially those involving ellipsis). It would be excellent if you could cover that in one of your videos.

If you already have a video on that, please point me to that. Really appreciate.

I have not recorded a video on this topic. I won't be filming new videos for a little while, but when I do, I will definitely do one on comparisons involving ellipsis. :)

Kevin Rocci
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-29-2014
WE: Analyst (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: GMAT Tuesdays: SC – Antecedents, Possessives, and Pronouns [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2014, 13:45
KevinRocci wrote:
saumya12 wrote:

Hi Saumya,

So I was able to locate this sentence in OG13 question 109. The OG does confirm that answer choice A is correct, which I found perplexing at first, but after speaking with my colleague, I can see why it is actually and acceptable answer.

The only time that you can have a possessive noun as an antecedent is when the pronoun is possessive. In this sentence, it is acceptable to use "her" but would be unacceptable to use "she."

This is something I did not mention in the video and I am glad that you asked this question so that it is clear. :)

Happy Studying!

Hi Kevin, I am bit confused here. Considering that "her" would be acceptable at question 109 aforementioned, why "his" is not acceptable in the first question used in the video?

Tks

Paulo
Re: GMAT Tuesdays: SC – Antecedents, Possessives, and Pronouns   [#permalink] 03 Oct 2014, 13:45