Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 03:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Unanswered

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Unanswered [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2003, 08:16
helly all,
This is my first time in this forum, it is quite an engaging experience to read different difficulties students face and varied solutions to it.. I did take my GMAT test before and scored a low 470. Extreamly unhappy with the same I am planning to give it back. I am currently in NJ and plan to do my MBA from NYC OR NJ. I'm aiming at a 650. Do you think anyone in the room could suggest me how I should start and achieve my GOALS. Which are some good books. My weakness would be Verbal for sure.But my math is not the best too.
Please advice which books and other strategies that you applied to achive scores in the 700's. Both for ENGLISH AND MATH..

Thanks in advance.

Attain Moksha

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

some ideas [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2003, 11:49
If you want to raise the score that much, you might want to take a prep class. Do you have difficulty with the fundamentals, or more with the test itself? i.e., strategies for solving the questions quickly?

Best book for verbal is Verbal Workout from Princeton Review, and their overall prep book Cracking the GMAT (get the one with the CD - it has 4 practice tests and access to more online) is great on test-taking techniques. Be sure to go through the Official Guide for practice, too.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2161

Kudos [?]: 7635 [0], given: 3626

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Unanswered [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2003, 12:11
Expert's post
satgates wrote:
helly all,
This is my first time in this forum, it is quite an engaging experience to read different difficulties students face and varied solutions to it.. I did take my GMAT test before and scored a low 470. Extreamly unhappy with the same I am planning to give it back. I am currently in NJ and plan to do my MBA from NYC OR NJ. I'm aiming at a 650. Do you think anyone in the room could suggest me how I should start and achieve my GOALS. Which are some good books. My weakness would be Verbal for sure.But my math is not the best too.
Please advice which books and other strategies that you applied to achive scores in the 700's. Both for ENGLISH AND MATH..

Thanks in advance.

You will need to be systematic and careful about it - keeping GMAT on top of your head all the time - not just jumping to it now and then doing a million of other things. I think multitasking is not very benefitial here.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2003, 15:43
I would definitely begin working with a PR or Kaplan math workbook. I was really starting to stress about the test (I hadn't taken a math-based class in seven years). However, once I started steamrolling through the refresher, it really boosted my confidence and has actually gotten me excited about studying for the test.
Eternal Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Keep Expectations Realistic [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2003, 19:20
What do you want to be?

You need at least 500 for master's in a state program. 600 for Phd.
If you have trouble getting that, I have real doubts on whether 700 is something worth shooting for! I don't mean to sound discouraging but improving standardized tests isn't easy.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2161

Kudos [?]: 7635 [0], given: 3626

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Keep Expectations Realistic [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2003, 21:21
Expert's post
Curly05 wrote:
What do you want to be?

You need at least 500 for master's in a state program. 600 for Phd.
If you have trouble getting that, I have real doubts on whether 700 is something worth shooting for! I don't mean to sound discouraging but improving standardized tests isn't easy.

Common, Curly,

470 is quite common among the older applicants. it is hard to study, there is a family commitment, job is harder, harder to stay focused, lack of support, etc, financial difficulties, and now GMAT.

Workbooks and focus are the answers I think. Don't neglect the GMAT as a late night activity. I have not seen a single person who would not get what he/she really wanted and were committed to. It is all about how crazy you want to be.
Re: Keep Expectations Realistic   [#permalink] 11 Jul 2003, 21:21