Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Gmat - unofficial scores??/my chances?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Gmat - unofficial scores??/my chances? [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2005, 20:23
Hello everyone,

I am planning on applying to B-school and completed my GMAT today. My score was lower than I expected (570), so I'm not too happy. My verbal score was in the 92 percentile, and I am sure my essays will receive a 6. I have always been great at critical reasoning, reading comp, essays, etc, but freeze the hell up with Math, like a deer in headlights. Quant dragged my score down horrendously to a 570. I do have a high TOEFL at about 290 and a GPA of around 3.5. I have a very strong multicultural background, with work experience in Europe and Latin America. My personal essays are great as well.

I would normally have no problem in repeating the GMAT and am sure I could at least reach 600 (I got a 660 on the Powerprep software), but am running out of time. One of my top picks is Thunderbird (and Jan intake is a big plus for me). I noticed in their Business Week profile that the middle 80% range of GMAT scores for 2004 was 510 - 680, with the average being somewhere around 600. Does this mean I should just go ahead and apply with my 570 GMAT? I would rather give it a shot than miss the deadline because of a re-take...but how realistic is this score for T-Bird? Do I have a real shot here? I mean, I assume the stats mean they're accepting people with 540 and 550 scores, so will my 570 be a true stumbling block? I have a friend who studied there and had a college GPA of 2.4 or so.

Also, how final is my unofficial score? That is, will a fantastic essay pull it up a bit, or do the essay scores have no bearing whatsoever on the GMAt grade? I ask because on the TOEFL the essays did have a separate grade from 1 to 6, but also seemed to affect the overall score.

Please let me know, thanks so much for the help!! Cheers, W.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2005, 06:04
I don't know anything about T-Bird but if their range is 510 - 680 and you received a 570, I'd go ahead and apply - so long as your WE, GPA, rec. letters, etc. are good.

BTW - your AWA score is totally separate and will not affect your overall GMAT score. And regarding Q, I'm just like you - I hate DS!!

Good luck!
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2005, 07:30
We have a lot in common wildriff. I too scored a 570 on my first attempt at the official GMAT (Q35/V35) two weeks ago and feel confident about the essay portion of the test. Additionally, I visited Phoenix/ Thunderbird in mid September and spoke face to face with a few students about the rigors of pursuing an MBA in international management. All went well and I was EXTREMELY impressed with the campus facilities and administration staff. Everybody was polite and informative, not snobby like some of the schools I went to in San Fran. Also, the students were open and very much down-to-earth (considering that I am 32 and have a big complex about my age). Most students are about 30, yet I met people from 24-45 and from all walks of life, some even with families.

Chances are we should be accepted with a 570, provided all other aspects of our application are in order and submitted on time, however I am going to give the GMAT one more dedicated crack sometime in mid November focusing mainly on PS and DS problems. According to the students I spoke with, scoring over a 640 significantly increases our chances of becoming eligible for a partial or full tuition scholarship, and considering that t-bird charges nearly as much as Stanford/Harvard, that will really take pressure off the financial burden of pursuing an MBA.

Couple of questions if I may: When were you planning to enroll? Fall or Spring? 2006 or 07? Do you speak a second language?? Does dry hot weather bother you? Have you ever been to the southwest?

Hope to hear back from you soon my future t-bird colleague :-D

Matt
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2005, 23:31
Hey Matt,

In terms of the GMAT, you probably have a better chance than I do, if only because your GMAT is balanced. My problem isn't so much the 570, which is acceptable for Thunderbird, but the fact that my Verbal is sky high and my Quant is below the 50th percentile.

A friend of mine who went says they are more flexible when you apply for the Spring term (for some reason I forget). I have been to the southwest (not the campus, though), and speak 3 languages....two flawlessly, one very well. I think I'm going to go ahead and apply ASAP, and just let the admissions officer know that the GMAT score isn't necessarily final. But I do want to get my foot in the door as soon as possible.

I know that with a higher score I could get a partial scholarship or what have you, but right now my focus is just on getting in, period. If it comes down to it, I have the money to pay for the MBA. Obviously, a break in tuition would be great, but being accepted is my true goal.

Hope we both make it, eh? When are you planning on attending/applying? We should be in touch, maybe we'll see each other there...! :-D

Cheers!
  [#permalink] 01 Oct 2005, 23:31